Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - One XL with Western Euro maps SD card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

One XL with Western Euro maps SD card
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: One XL with Western Euro maps SD card Reply with quote

Hi All
I have recently acquired an XL with the W Europe maps. When downloading speed cameras, icons, voices etc do I need to put them into both locations i.e. on the XL proper in the map and/or POI folders and into the Europe folder which presumably is on the SD card itself. On a similar issue, if I keep the XL operating using the SD card but navigate in the UK which map set does it use?

Thanks

John
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an SD card in the slot? - most of the time the European version was shipped with internal Flash memory and a blank piece of plastic in the SD slot to prevent debris getting in there?

Either way, the One XL can only use the built in storage OR the SD card, if the card is fitted and loaded with all the required files and map then the device will boot from the card by default. If there is no data on the card then the device is booting from the internal memory.

You need to put any POI files in to the map folder located on either the Memory card (if in use) or into the map folder on the flash memory. Any Spoken POI warning alert files that you want to use must also be placed in the map folder along with the POI files.

Any NAVIGATION voices will go into the voices folder, again if using an SD card the voices folder is on the SD card, if not the voices folder is on the internal storage memory. - Mike
hoes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
Thanks for that . The SD card is separate and is labelled western europe maps. When in the slot the XL does appear to boot from the card. When opening the tomtom using "my computer" I get lots of folders such as
POI, voices, maps etc and one called western europe. If you open that there are lots of files but no voice, map or POI folders. I'm not sure where the second set on the SD card are, if at all?
Hope this makes sense
John
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be confusion here. I think there was a version of the One XL produced with no internal flash memory (There was a version supplied with UK maps that was model number 4S00.006)

If you have got one with internal memory as well, when you look at the TT with Windows Explorer, you should get TWO new drives showing even if there is no card in the slot (although this doesn't happen on Macs).
Usually the one with the earlier/lower letter will be the SD card and the other will be the internal memory.

But if yours only has the SD card slot, you will only get one drive letter assigned.

What do you see?

As for the folder structure...
The "Western Europe" folder WILL have lots of files but no sub-folders. That is correct. The voice folder is outside the "Western Europe" map folder, the POIs go as separate files inside the Western Europe folder.
hoes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy
Now I am confused!! Yes I have only one drive showing on explorer, but that's the same whether the SD card is in the slot or not. It seems that card only has mapping data on it. Would that make sense? If so I will put all the add ons into the main folders and put the SD card away until (if ever) I actully need to drive in mainland Europe.
Thanks

John
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it doesn't make sense, I'm afraid.

If Explorer is looking at the card, it CAN'T be the same with the card in the slot or not. Make sure you refresh the Explorer view (View/Refresh) each time.

Next, the One XL that has both internal memory AND an SD card slot can only use one or the other. You cannot have just a map on the card.

Can you just confirm what happens if you take the card out and switch on the device? Does it work? And what map do you have? (Tap the signal strength bars and then tap where it says "version" to get an info page.

Also please look at the bottom and tell us what the number that looks something like 4S00.006 is.
hoes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy
The XL works just fine without the card in the slot. The version number is 8.010 and the number on the bottom is 4S00.000

It is probably the case that I didn't refresh explorer. All I can say is that when plugged into the PC you only get one "removable drive" symbol labelled "TomTom" (Drive H in my case). I will put the SD card back in and refresh explorer to see what I get.
Thanks so far
John
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Can you just confirm what happens if you take the card out and switch on the device? Does it work? And what map do you have? (Tap the signal strength bars and then tap where it says "version" to get an info page.

This information would be very handy if you can get it with the card inserted and without the card fitted just to prove if the device is using the map on the card or not - I am just wondering how a One XL behaves with the newer maps locked to the card ID that were released a while back, if such a map card were inserted to a One XL?- Mike
hoes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
With the SD card in the ID is App8.010 (same as without) but with Western & Europe map v720.1803. The map without the card is v725.1883. I am still not sure what is on the card but given your help I guess it must be the same.
To be honest, since I prefer to use the newest maps for UK and ROI, I will run without the SD card (which was a free - well so called free- bit of kit from Amazon). Also means I have only to transfer all the files once. However thanks for your help this afternoon
John
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have the original map, (V720), on the card, and someone has bought a new map, (V725), and put it on the flash memory, so you only need to update the newer map with voices, poi etc, you could even sell the old one, cheap.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the card out of the device and forget about it, it is an earlier release and not required, it cannot be sold as it will be locked to your device, treat it as a spare SD card for the digital camera!

With no card in the device connect it to the PC, put the POI files into the Map folder on the device, put any spoken camera alert files (ogg files) into the map folder on the device then set the Speed Camera Warnings up.

I would also ask you to make a Windows Explorer Back up of the entire contents of the Flash memory on the TomTom device, if anything goes wrong at a later date you will be able to recover the situation, without the back up you will be up a creek without a paddle - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are we seeing something new here?

Can older machines (pre x20 models?) now access the SD card and internal memory at the same time when running v8 software?
hoes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice. Card is in storage for that very rare visit to Europe!
John
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the (admittedly incomplete) list I've been trying to keep, the 4S00.000 model was actually a Europe model.
Scanning back over the replies in this topic, I can't actually see if you say the map on the internal memory (the v725.1883 one) is Europe or just UK+IE.

For my records it would be great if you could report back on that, and also find out what the size of the internal memory is in total.

Anyone else got any clues about this new feature of being able to use the SD card and the memory at the same time. Is it a Navcore 8 improvement?
bensonboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a quick experiment, I copied all files except the map to an SD card and tried booting to it and it came up with 'no map found'. I didn't try having all files on the unit and just the map on the card as I think that the two are still kept separate. SD card or unit, not both at the same time.
I run Navcore 8 on a European One XL.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: