Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does Map Share actually work?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Map Share actually work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cacheman147
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Does Map Share actually work? Reply with quote

Hi,
Not as dumb a question as it sounds.

I have a TomTom XL loaded with Western Europe v725 after recently taking the yearly upgrade subscription, I live in Northern Ireland and even though I have moved within the last year from map v710.1561 of the western europe map I have not noticed one single correction to the map in NI.
I have sent corrections into TomTom but they seem to disappear into the ether.
I'm now starting to wonder if my upgrade purchase was a waste of money.
If anyone could shed light on this I would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Jogb
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, are you aware that the MapShare servers have been broken for weeks, so you won't have seen any recently?

Secondly, when you say your corrections are just "disappearing in to the (a)ether" are you saying they don't even appear on your own machine?
Even if downloads aren't working you should see your own corrections (but only the ones that affect EXISTING roads such as blocking, making one-way changing names etc.), so long as you have them switched on in the Map Corrections preferences.

There's a known problem where a corrupted download can stop subsequent downloads, and I've done some instructions to fix that HERE but there's no point in doing it if they haven't got Mapshare working again for your particular map yet.
(There's discussion about that in the latter pages of THIS topic).
cacheman147
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy and thanks for the reply, I got the map share updates loaded yesterday but none seem to be for my area.
The specific updates I have been sending to TomTom are missing/unconnected roads which of course are not dynamically available after posting.

Regards

John
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cacheman147 wrote:
The specific updates I have been sending to TomTom are missing/unconnected roads which of course are not dynamically available after posting.

Missing/unconnected roads are not available back through mapshare either. You are simply submitting them to tomtom in the hope that tomtom pass them on to teleatlas. Teleatlas may then choose to include your changes in a future map release that tomtom will offer to sell to you.

Brilliant isn't it? Smile
cacheman147
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, there is a road I take to work that on the map stops just before it is supposed to meet a dual carriageway, its been around for at least 50 years, I wonder if I could get a part time job driving around NI and ROI and correct all these errors.

Regards

John
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
cacheman147 wrote:

Missing/unconnected roads are not available back through mapshare either. You are simply submitting them to tomtom in the hope that tomtom pass them on to teleatlas. Teleatlas may then choose to include your changes in a future map release that tomtom will offer to sell to you.

Brilliant isn't it? Smile

yeah, you'd have to submit your correction to mapshare - you can also submit corrections to teleatlas's map insight feature. tomtom/tele atlas are trying to streamline user corrections to produce more accurate maps, and there were already reports of people's mapshare corrections popping up in the last map update. so if enough people make the corrections, the map could be updated sooner than you think.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: