Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lifetime Membership - sigh!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lifetime Membership - sigh!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonokimber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Lifetime Membership - sigh! Reply with quote

Well guys, sorry to have to post another one of these threads but i am left with no choice in my opinion. Please read all i have to say and then ask if there was anything else i can do?

I have 19 days left on my paid for subscription. At the beginning of the year and also throughout this year i have submitted two changes (removal) of fixed sites, a new mobile site and have 'edited' the info on a few fixed sites too.

The criteria for lifetime membership has been checked time and again and i do definitely qualify on three counts. (2, 3 twice and 5 in the list below)
Quote:

1. The first person to accurately report a new fixed site.

2. The first person to accurately report a change to an existing fixed site i.e. change of type, correction of location, move etc

3. The first person to accurately report a permanent removal of an existing fixed site.

4. The first person to report a speed correction or submission of speed data where none previously existed for a fixed site.

5. New reports of Mobile sites will also now qualify BUT because such sites are very difficult to verify, it should be noted that validation may take significantly longer than for other types of site. Note that the Free Subscription will only be added after both verification (once it goes 'active' in the database) AND further reports have been received.

I have read all the posts about how long it takes for sites to be verified but what can i do when i have waited all year, qualify for free membership but the verifier hasn't been through Shrewsbury?

I read the fact that my submissions should be 'quality' and with the removal of the two sites in shrewsbury i even provided a link to the local BBC website news story explaining that due to new housing developments the cameras were being removed and then resited. They havent been resited yet but they have definitely been removed.

On a personal level i have been a member of PGPSW for a logn time, a forum reader and occasional contributor and general supporter of the site. I paid my dues last year and considered the £19 to be steep for a year but worthwhile for a years worth of membership and duly made the submissions required.

Now, with 19 days left i have waited long enough for my submissions to be verified and they haven't been so i have to break my silence.

What if i let my subscription lapse and then my submission gets verified? Will it be credited to me and all of a sudden i get lifetime membership?

If so i might just have to sit it out until that happens but having waited a year, i can't ever see it happening!

I even thought about asking to become a verifier!

Anyway, some thoughts, comments or answers would be great to put me out of my misery.

Is there a way to get confirmation that my submissions would indeed qualify me for lifetime membership provided they were verified?

Thanks

Jono
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your submissions were made during an active subscription then they will be deemed as qualifying if they subsequently get verified after your subscription has lapsed.

If you supply me with the camera ID of one or more cameras I will advise as to the current status of the submission and if they are recorded as qualifying pending verification etc

If you think the database is valuable then subscribe when your current term expires, if you subsequently get upgraded then you've still got a lifetime of subsequent updates free for £38!
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand how you feel about the time it takes to verify camera locations but since it is done by a volunteer team, and in the case of mobile locations also requires a further independant siting it is understandable.

Also, although you may almost meet the requirements you listed, it is possible you were not the first person to report this. Only the PGPSW team will know this (and as Darren has said, send him details of one or more of the cameras and he will look into it for you). Personally, since the information must already be in a database/spreadsheet somewhere, I feel it should be possible to provide a user interface to check their submissions. This will require time and programming effort though so I guess would be a lower priority.

To become a verfier AIUI you have to be a lifetime member already, so we wouldn't qualify if a position did come along.

Personally in your case I would be subscribing again as I do think £19 is cheap. Just think how much a fixed penalty costs and you can see you get 3 years membership for the cost of 1 ticket.
I am hopeful (again) that some of my submissions of M4 Specs cameras this month will be qualifying ones, but even if they aren't I will be continuing to submit changes etc as I see them and then resubscribing again if I am still not lucky enough when my sub expires early next year.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:
Personally, since the information must already be in a database/spreadsheet somewhere, I feel it should be possible to provide a user interface to check their submissions. This will require time and programming effort though so I guess would be a lower priority.

It's something we could investigate offering.
Quote:
To become a verfier AIUI you have to be a lifetime member already, so we wouldn't qualify if a position did come along.

That's incorrect, verifiers are chosen on merit, accuracy of submissions, requirement for additional support in an area etc. If chosen then a member would automatically be upgraded to Lifetime Subscriber status but it is not a pre-requisite.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
That's incorrect, verifiers are chosen on merit, accuracy of submissions, requirement for additional support in an area etc. If chosen then a member would automatically be upgraded to Lifetime Subscriber status but it is not a pre-requisite.

I knew I would be wrong (typically Razz ) but was basing my understanding on a post by MaFt a few months ago asking for offers of becoming a verifier. I seem to remember in this instance one of the requirements was to already be a lifetime member. Cheers for correcting my mistake.
jonokimber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Submissions - are you first? Reply with quote

When i removed the two Shrewsbury cameras from the database i did notice that they had a line drawn through them immediately. Surely if someone else had beaten me to it they would have had that line drawn through them already? Maybe i'm wrong but i also did enter them on the day of removal.

Does anyone know what will happen to my submissions if i don't renew my membership? Or put another way, will i receive lifetime membership on my submissions if i let my membership lapse in the meanwhile?

Keep up the good work.

Jono
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Submissions - are you first? Reply with quote

jonokimber wrote:
Does anyone know what will happen to my submissions if i don't renew my membership? Or put another way, will i receive lifetime membership on my submissions if i let my membership lapse in the meanwhile?

Darren wrote:
If your submissions were made during an active subscription then they will be deemed as qualifying if they subsequently get verified after your subscription has lapsed.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifetime Membership - sigh! Reply with quote

jonokimber wrote:

The criteria for lifetime membership has been checked time and again and i do definitely qualify on three counts.
2. The first person to accurately report a change to an existing fixed site i.e. change of type, correction of location, move etc

3. The first person to accurately report a permanent removal of an existing fixed site.
etc.

Apologies if I'm being thick, but how do you know you were "definitely the first"?
Only the database admin know that, even the verifiers have no way to look it up.

Also, are you saying that there are two fixed cameras removed in Shrewsbury that are still not corrected on the database after nearly a year?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Submissions - are you first? Reply with quote

jonokimber wrote:
When i removed the two Shrewsbury cameras from the database i did notice that they had a line drawn through them immediately. Surely if someone else had beaten me to it they would have had that line drawn through them already? Maybe i'm wrong but i also did enter them on the day of removal.

The updates are not done in real time so if you saw the line drawn through them immediately it suggest they had been submitted by others at an earlier time?
Quote:

I believe I have already answered that in my previous reply to you in this thread?
jonokimber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Silly me Reply with quote

Firstly to Richard - apologies for missing what Darren wrote, at least i can rest assured that my small amount of effort might still count for a lifetime membership if or when verified.

Regarding the two Gatsos i removed from Shrewsbury they are no longer showing up in the 'submissions' map whereas the active mobile site up the road is so i assume they won't be in the database and that i have successfully removed them from the database.

From this info can i draw the conclusion that either

a) the cameras are removed before verification (seeing as i haven't had verification notification)

or

b) someone beat me to it and now they are verified and hence removed someone else must have got there before me seeing as i haven't had notification?

I'm sorting out a download and trying to get my TomTom One XL workign reliably now but that's another story for another day!!!

Jon
jonokimber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Lines through cameras Reply with quote

Hi Darren

I simply cannot remember about the lines through the cameras and whether or not they were drawn instantly etc.

Now i can't even supply you with the camera details for you to check out either as they have been removed!

One of the removed was here though...

Centre Latitude: 52.72080047501282 Longitude: -2.7410700917243958

and the other very close (they were back to back)

Centre Latitude: 52.72094668992498 Longitude: -2.740742862224579

Maybe you can see them on a master database?

I think i also submitted this one outright

MOBILE:52191@40, Heading:202, Single Direction

Thanks

Jon
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:
Darren wrote:

I knew I would be wrong (typically Razz ) but was basing my understanding on a post by MaFt a few months ago asking for offers of becoming a verifier. I seem to remember in this instance one of the requirements was to already be a lifetime member. Cheers for correcting my mistake.
Well, I thought you were right (typically Razz ) as I would have sworn to the same memory of MaFt's posting. I'm sure you're probably both right, BUT taking Darren's specification of accuracy of submissions, it in all probability follows that a good potential verifier has already gained lifetime membership on that basis.

With a new database issued today, by this time tomorrow you should know whether or not your specs on the M4 done good. Good luck!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dennis, I might not be going totally mad then.......

I know one of my M4 ones was rejected as it remained a blue cross when they were all shown on the map. 2 of them appear to have been converted though so I am quietly confident this time (probably misplaced confidence Laughing Out Loud).

The important thing though is to make the database as accurate and as up to date as possible. Anything else is just a bonus.
jonokimber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: back on topic Reply with quote

so, back to my original set of questions and predicament...

I can confirm that the Gatsos in Shrewsbury that I removed from the database have indeed gone from the latest download.

I cannot supply the details of these cameras but I did give very accurate lat / long values in a post above. I would be delighted if Darren would check these submissions to see if i was the first to report them and therfore to indicate that there is hope of lifetime membership if they can be verified.

Other than that I waited nearly a year before sparking another membership thread. Sorry to have wasted time by asking the questions. As someone else stated, it would be nice indeed to see the status of a submission such as whether you were the first to submit etc.

Off to bed now, hoping my new TomTom application download will fix my perpetual crashing problems? But that's another story for another day.

Cheers all.

Jon
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

of your submissions:

40879 - october 07 removal - wasn't first
42393 - december 07 - mobile position change (do not qualify for lifetime)
51206 - april 08 - mobile seen again (do not qualify for lifetime)
52191 - april 08 - new mobile site - has been seen again but not verified - awaiting further independent sighting or verifier confirmation before lifetime given
52194 - april 08 - wasn't first

hope that helps. please note that that took about 10-12 minutes to compile to report back to you - if we had to do that for 30-80 submissions every day then there would be one database release a year (if you were lucky!) - hence why we don't report back for every single submission.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: