Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile Speed Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile Speed Cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottwaltonuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Mobile Speed Cameras Reply with quote

Hi All
I wonder if someone can help me. I have a 520 and I have never been warned of mobile speed camera locations. There can be only 3 reasons for this.
1 I havent gone past any, but with 20,000 miles a year this unlikely
2 The system has no database in there for them which I belive they should have
3 I am doing something wrong (which is the most likely)

If anybody can help I will be very grateful as I realy could do without the sending me nice little letter asking for money in return for writing on my licence.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which speed camera database are you using - the PGPSW one from this site, or TomTom's own database?
scottwaltonuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using Tomtom pre supplied database
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no subscription with us so i can only presume tomtom's own database.

i've never used it so can't offer any more advice... sorry!

MaFt
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 720, when I had their camera database, you had enable them through TomTom services (main menu page 3 of 3) and you can access the cameras from there.

But, i found the TomTom camers somewhat limited and out of date.

Subscribe to PGW speedcamera database, it is continually updated by members and you may even win a lifetime subscription if you are first to report a speed camera not seen before.
GO 920 Dead
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the opposite problem with pocketgps mobiles, I have them going off all the time with no cams in sight, and despite them saying they ere going to 'clean up' the database, I note two things;

1) I have only once encountered a mobile speed cam in a marked location over perhaps 20-30k miles.

2)200-330yds from where i live, and where I drive past every single day of the week, often several time a day at all hours, there are two mobile cams marked. I have once seen a cam in one of these places, about 3-4 years ago.
Judging by (2), (1) doesn't surprise me.

I can only conclude that either the mobile locations haven't been cleared up, or people are marking them in the (erroneous?) hope they will get a free subscription.[/b]
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:
I find the opposite problem with pocketgps mobiles, I have them going off all the time with no cams in sight, and despite them saying they ere going to 'clean up' the database, I note two things;

1) I have only once encountered a mobile speed cam in a marked location over perhaps 20-30k miles.

2)200-330yds from where i live, and where I drive past every single day of the week, often several time a day at all hours, there are two mobile cams marked. I have once seen a cam in one of these places, about 3-4 years ago.
Judging by (2), (1) doesn't surprise me.

I can only conclude that either the mobile locations haven't been cleared up, or people are marking them in the (erroneous?) hope they will get a free subscription.

i can assure you that around 2,000 mobile sites have been removed since may this year when the purges began.

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the original question....
The TomTom-suplied database does not include mobile sites in the normal way at all.
They do have some sort of scheme for "Live" mobile sites, where people are supposed to report them when they see them and they are then enabled just for one day. I've never been able to see how this could work at all, and from your experience it obviously doesn't!

Give up on the TT one and get the one from here.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:
I can only conclude that either the mobile locations haven't been cleared up, or people are marking them in the (erroneous?) hope they will get a free subscription.

Or you have simply been lucky! There is one mobile site in my home town that I have never seen. Should I remove it because I've never witnessed it? I don't see it because it operates during school home-time when I'm working but my wife and a dozen others have seen it and reported it.

Erroneous reports would not get into our database, even if they did make it as far as pMobiles they would not get into the master without verification and further reports.
Quote:
) I have only once encountered a mobile speed cam in a marked location over perhaps 20-30k miles.

And have you encountered mobiles in locations NOT marked?
newtosatnav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:

1) I have only once encountered a mobile speed cam in a marked location over perhaps 20-30k miles

Me too and it saved me a fine and 3 points - well worth putting up with some "bings" where there aren't cameras on that day !
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a difficult one regarding Mobile cameras and how often they are .
If we are to believe the information regarding the positioning of the mobile cameras they are there because they are so called accident black spots .
The fact that no speed camera is positioned there is irreverent its just good to be warned it is an accident black spot and to watch our speeds

In my local area I have not seen a mobile camera for months but it may be I just travel past at the wrong time .
I reported a new mobile site about 8 months ago and is still pending further reports and to be honest I have never seen it again but it does not mean it has never been there anymore
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

i can assure you that around 2,000 mobile sites have been removed since may this year when the purges began.

MaFt

Well in that case, who are the muppets reporting mobile cams in a place where, essentially, they aren't? I cant leave my house without driving past these two "locations" and over the past 15+ years living here I have only once seen one !
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newtosatnav wrote:
Tumbleweed wrote:

1) I have only once encountered a mobile speed cam in a marked location over perhaps 20-30k miles

Me too and it saved me a fine and 3 points - well worth putting up with some "bings" where there aren't cameras on that day !

Not if its every time you leave your house! twice! I drive at all times, not just the 9-5 commute. School times, late nights, early mornings, midday, pub chucking out time etc. Unless they are there at maybe 1am-6am only, I'd have spotted them, either that or I am lucky enough I should have won the lottery 3 or 4 times without buying a ticket.
The problem with too many false 'bings ' is that you can become acclimatised. I tend to veer between just switching the things off (I used to drive up the M5 a lot and every bridge seemed to be marked), and having them on. I have deleted the two marked locations near me, its excellent that you can do that.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could always remove the "offending" cameras if you know they never operate outside your house at the times you drive past them?

MaFt
ben_e71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used both the TomTom and the PocketGPS world ones I have returned to PGPSW ones.

I found on the Tomtom ones (and to the certain extent the PGPSones) is that people confuse different types of cameras.

FOr example the trafficmaster / traffic flow cameras are navy blue and look just like the yellow specs cameras. So some people are marking them as speed cameras.

However, driving the same route with both systems the PGPS ones seem to be better.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: