Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom RDS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom RDS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roland0800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Tomtom RDS Reply with quote

Hi, I've just bought a Tomtom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver. I have a tomtom 910, when I try to use the RDS (ie I plan a route and go to update traffic) my tomtom connects to my phone to get the update from tomtom, then reminds me my subscription is out of date. Reading the instruction book it tells me that I cannot use both wireless data connection and RDS. OK, now what I cant find out is how do you choose which service you want ? or being once a subscriber of tomtom traffic they have now stitched me up to there network
Hope someone can help me out coz I don't want to have to subscribe to tomtom again ............. Crying or Very sad
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried disabling the wireless data on your GO910?
roland0800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Tomtom RDS Reply with quote

Hi Tim, yes I've tried that, when I try to "update traffic info" it just informs me that the Data Connection is turned off. I have also tried it with the Bluetooth disabled, that comes up with could not establish a wireless data connection. ........... Crying or Very sad
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom RDS Reply with quote

roland0800 wrote:
Hi Tim, yes I've tried that, when I try to "update traffic info" it just informs me that the Data Connection is turned off. I have also tried it with the Bluetooth disabled, that comes up with could not establish a wireless data connection. ........... Crying or Very sad

OK, so when you stick the TMC lead into your 910 active mount, do you get a confirmation message to say it's connected?
roland0800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: RDS Reply with quote

No Tim I dont. One thing I haven't tried is to connect the main 12v lead from the car. I have only tried it in the cradel (it being fully charged)
roland0800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: RDS Reply with quote

Just tried it with 12v lead in, still no luck. Twisted Evil
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: RDS Reply with quote

roland0800 wrote:
Just tried it with 12v lead in, still no luck. Twisted Evil

I wonder if your module is suspect (or possibly your mount). I don't think you need power applied for it to work. Do you know anyone who has a suiable device in which to test the module? Was it a shop or eBay-type purchase?
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mine with no phone connected and it works well ,have you tried that yet
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you check the software version on the device, you can do this by tapping the sat strength meter in the lower right corner, the next page will display a version box on the right.
For the RDS-TMC to work you must be using version 6,51 or newer (IIRC) prior to this release, which the early 910's were shipped with wouldn't support this accessory - updating the device will cure the fault though if this is indeed whats wrong - Mike
roland0800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: RDS Reply with quote

Hi it was from the famous ebay !! having said that, it is new and boxed. I have a friend with a 300, I will have to see how it goes on that. The other question I have been asked is have I tried it with no phone connected, the answer is yes !! with the same results. Thought it might be me missing something, but maybe not. I will also email the seller to inform him I cant get it working ........ thank you all for your help, anything any one else can suggest please do .............
roland0800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: RDS Reply with quote

Hi Mike thanks for the suggestion. My version is 7.162 So it's not that !! I will have to try it on my friends tomtom and see what happens, that might get to weekend.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other suggestions I have:

1/ Make sure the connector is fully inserted into its socket on the mount, this can take considerable force to seat fully.

2/ Try resetting the device with a pin, the reset button is located on the underside of the device adjacent to the connection strip, see This Page for exact details (in the drop down box select your model type from the list) - Mike
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the tmc-rds cable daily for my work. Had the latest version of the cable running with my tomtom go 520 with no problems for the past 11 months. But, just last week the tomtom wouldn't recognise the tmc cable being plugged in.

Further research on the internet revealed that the tmc cable has been known to 'stop working'. This was the case in my situation. My dad has a brand new tomtom one and my tmc cable wasn't recognised by the new 'one' either.

I promptly contacted tomtom, and the next day i had a silver special delivery bag to send the dodgy cable. Received a new one, message in the box said the cable 'couldn't be fixed, so was replaced' and took less than a week from first phone call to receiving a replacement cable!

No complaints from me about tomtoms customer support in this case!

Hopefully this may help you!

Ste

iPhone 12
roland0800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: RDS Reply with quote

Thanks for that, This sounds just like the trouble I am having. I'll keep you all posted Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: