Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 720 won't boot - disk icon - ideas?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 720 won't boot - disk icon - ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrispyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Go 720 won't boot - disk icon - ideas? Reply with quote

Hi,

Trying to get my Dad's Go 720 working for him, it's refusing to boot. Problem happened 'on the road' - working fine in the morning and then failed when turned on later in day, so not immediately following a PC connection or anything.

Unit when powered on shows an un-docked 720 and the hard disk icon in the bottom right, and freezes on that screen. Won't turn off unless reset button is hit. There's no red cross on the screen which seemed to be mentioned in some of the stuff I found searching the forums.

If powered on connected to PC then the PC recognises it, TomTom Home opens but can't see the device. Trying to browse device hangs PC for a while then prompts to 'Insert disk in drive N:' - also tried to format the internal memory from my computer but right click hangs PC for a while, when it does appear can click format but it doesn't bring up the format dialog.

Tried various resets of varying lengths and no joy. One reset caused the device to show progress bar on the disk screen, then the splash screen (at which point it froze) - not been able to reproduce that again.

Popped a SD card in and it shows the undocked TomTom with the SD card icon briefly, followed by hard disk icon and freezes. If connected to PC with SD card in and powered up TomTom home launches and offers to download the application - this gave an error when trying to install (but that might be because it wasn't a clean SD card and had previously been used in a digicam).

Sooo, any ideas? All gratefully appreciated Smile
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this:

Take a backup of your SD card
Format your SD card
Hold the reset key down on the Bottom of the TomTom for 15 seconds.
Leave your device then for around 2 to 3 minutes.
Insert Blank SD Card
Make sure tom tom home is minimised and connect your device.
Tom tom home should pop up and ask you to select your memory, click internal.
Then click Add map, traffic, Voice Icon
Click Items from my computer.
Clicked + Next to Applications
Then click Add Tom Tom Go Application.

This will re-install the application and fixed the same problem for me.

Restore SD card.

Mabsey
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was posted on a previous thread and may be of help
Remember to back up in windows explorer before doing anything

Reply received from Tomtom support

The error you got meant that the Application file (that runs the map and menus) got corrupted, it is very easy to resolve the issue (see details below). The most common cause for this happening is either how you are disconnecting from PC, when disconnecting in TomTom Home always click on 'Device' and then 'Disconnect Device' and it will tell you when it is safe to unplug the device. It may have also been that when you updated your device the application got corrupted.

In this email you will find the solution for the error on your TomTom. This solution can be used in the following situations:

• The device hangs in the start screen (splash screen)
• An SD-card with a red cross is displayed on the screen
• A picture with a red dot and white cross is displayed
• The device can’t be turned off

If you haven't already done so, please download and Install TomTom Home from www.tomtom.com/7602

If you don’t have a full backup of your TomTom yet we advise you to make one before continuing with the steps in this email. You can make a backup by following the steps below:

1. Reset your TomTom device: www.tomtom.com/6965 and connect it to your computer.
2. Click on 'Backup and Restore Backup in TomTom Home 2.0
3. Enter a name for the backup and click [OK]
• IMPORTANT: When the software is asking to delete parts from the backup click [NO]

After the backup is made you delete the files from the root directory of the TomTom. Follow the steps below to do this:

1. Reset your TomTom device: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 and connect it to your computer.
2. Open My Computer in Windows, or Finder in Macintosh from your desktop and turn on your TomTom device.
3. On your screen a new removable disk appears, this is your TomTom device, click on the disk to open it.
4. You will see a list of folders and a list of loose files
5. Delete all of the loose files. IMPORTANT: The folders with their content must NOT be deleted.
5. Close the window when all files are deleted by clicking on the [x].

Next we will reinstall the application via TomTom HOME.

1. Start TomTom HOME on your computer
• TomTom Home should automatically check for updates and prompt you to install them, if not
2. Click on 'Update my device'. If you get the message 'No Items Available', or there is not an application to download, click on 'Add Maps, Traffic, Voices etc Items on my computer', select the application and click on 'Add'.
3. Select the Application update.
4. Click on 'Device Disconnect Device', then turn off your device when it is done installing and disconnect it from your computer.
5. On a PC, in the System Tray by the computer clock, click on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon and disconnect the TomTom also in this way.

When switching on the device it should boot as normal again.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team
CrispyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for suggestions, cannot browse the internal memory from my computer, nor can I copy anything onto the SD card which I've put into the unit (parameter incorrect error). TomTom Home generally won't recognise the unit, acknowledges it has been connected as it pops up, but then trying to do anything asks you to connect device.

Did once tell me to restart the device as new software had been installed (it hadn't) and then refused to acknowledge it again.

The way this is behaving, and the intermittent nature of things is looking to me like a hardware failure? Think it's about 10 days inside warranty so going to try that avenue unless anyone has any further ideas Smile

Thanks,

Chris.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mabsey wrote:
Try this:

Format your SD card
etc.

Not a good idea... the Go 720 doesn't have an SD card from new. The software and maps are all on internal memory.

CrispyUK, ignore Home for now and just concentrate on trying to get the PC to recognise the TT as new hard drives (it should appear as two, one for the internal memory and one for the card slot.

If you cannot get it to do that, there are a few things to try in a TomTom website page Device not connecting to computer but if those fail you might have a hardware problem as you suspect.

If you DO get it to connect to the PC so you can see the contents (if any), report back and we can see where to go next.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this would help. My ipod did a similar thing and wouldn't connect when I attached the USB. But when I attached it before turning the computer on it recognised it and sorted it out automatically. Might be worth a try with your TT if you're clutching at straws.
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
mabsey wrote:
Try this:

Format your SD card
etc.

Not a good idea... the Go 720 doesn't have an SD card from new. The software and maps are all on internal memory.

I know, but I had the exact same problem as this user and could not get the tom tom to boot under any circumstances. Only when i put an old formatted SD card in the device did it them come to life and I could do all the things I said above. Without the SD card it didnt play game with whatever I tried including multiple reset's. Putting a SD card in fixed this problem for another user on this site which is why it was suggested.

Mabsey
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mabsey wrote:

I know, but I had the exact same problem as this user and could not get the tom tom to boot under any circumstances. Only when i put an old formatted SD card in the device did it them come to life

I see....
But you didn't mention that. All you said in your first instructions were "Take a backup of your SD card.....Format your SD card....."

Basically the issue is to get the TomTom recognised by the PC.
There are innumerable PC-specific reasons why this might not happen. The TomTom web-page describes some of the ways to get round it, if your method works too, that's great.
CrispyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd understood what mabsey meant and did wonder if the device could be brought back to life running off an SD card instead of the internal memory, no such luck.

Have tried the things TomTom have listed, and nothing changed on the PC between it working and not, can't get any more than the TomTom internal drive showing in My Computer but unable to browse/format/anything it.

Messaged TomTom over the weekend with details, what I'd already tried, the model number and device serial number, they've replied back asking for the serial number - d'oh - wish me luck...!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: