Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V8.10 maps.... HOW MUCH!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V8.10 maps.... HOW MUCH!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom59 wrote:
Have they replaced the silly little pointer thingy with a proper compass yet? Rolling Eyes

That was a software issue, not mapping, wasn't it?

As I remember, it was the release of Navcore v8.010 which caused the complaints on that front
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom59 wrote:
@carl_the_cobbler

Have they replaced the silly little pointer thingy with a proper compass yet? Rolling Eyes

I think you will find that that issue is a firmware and not a map problem. A new map will not replace the compass, we need to wait for the new update for the firmware to solve that issue.

iPhone 12
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Tom59 wrote:
Have they replaced the silly little pointer thingy with a proper compass yet?

The compass is a product of the software and nothing to do with the version of map installed to the device - so the compass is the same as it was prior to updating the map - Mike

Mike beat me with one minute! Laughing
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
Mike beat me with one minute! Laughing

Mike beat us all - but he's known for his speedy replies.
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK OK OK OK Got the message. Stop it! Stop it! Stop it!

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
ragoth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: keep waiting? Reply with quote

So, I've been following this thread since last week. I've got a 520 that came with the v7.25 maps, and my Latest Map Guarantee offer expires probably this Friday.
The new v8.10 maps were 'silently released' on 4th Sep. There has been a post saying 'TT need to keep them full price for a week before they can do a price reduction'. ie. price drop around the 11th.

Given that LMG means the thing is free for me anyway, is the advice still 'hang on for a further announcement this week' as a post hinted at earlier?
Or should I just get the download done now, just in case my TT is fussy about when it thinks I switched my 520 on and thinks that the LMG period has expired already?

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it is a free update you will be doing I would simply go for it now, don't wait any longer as there is nothing to be gained by waiting.

Although I find it strange your device was delivered new with 725 installed as that was only released last week as well, it contains the same map data as the 810 map less the Lane Assist and IQ Routes data - Mike
ragoth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank mike
you're correct. that "v7.25" was an error on my part, it was of course the "v7.15" maps it came with.
I'll get to downloading v8.10 this evening.
ragoth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, my final guess is, they do the offical fanfares for a mapshare relaunch this week, by which time they have dropped to the reduced price. Instead of doing a big announcement last week and people see the michael-taking full price map price and are totally put off by the whole thing

I will be v annoyed if they actually do another map update though after I done my download eg. v810 to v812[/i]
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next map release should be in approx. 3 months time. This map update is the result of the latest teleatlas release 2008.4 to the suppliers. There are usually 4 map updates a year at 3 month intervals. I would very much doubt if this changes.

iPhone 12
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be interested to see if you are offered the ver. 810 map ragoth, as I was told in no uncertain terms yesterday on the phone by Tom Tom, that the reason I was not offered the 810 map on the 4th September, when it was released, was because that map was not current when I purchased my Go 520 on 12-08-08... and regardless of any new map issued before my LMG period expires on 02-09-08... I could only download the map that was current on 12-08-08 ie. ver. 720

Also, to confirm this they included this paragraph in their response to my question on their support site...

Quote:
The meaning of the Map Guarantee is to offer you the latest map of the date of purchase so that if the retailer keeps the device on the shelf for a year you are in no way penalized for this

Hope you have better luck than me.

Alan.
ragoth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What. A. Gyp.

So they're saying "At TomTom we do our utmost best to ensure that the map that comes preloaded on your device is the most up-to-date version available." with the implication '...most up-to-date at the time of purchase', knowing full well that the consumer will read it as "I can get a map upgrade within 30 days".

Snide.

But then it also says
Quote:
Latest map guarantee means that if a newer map is released during 30 days from when you first start using your device, you’re entitled to one free map download.

Which is alot less ambiguous, and is in the favour of you can download a newer map within 30 days, and it doesnt matter what version.
joeann90
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Hi,

I cannot see why tomtom will not give you the newest map available Confused as long as it is within the 30 days you should get the latest map out when you go online to use your LPG Evil or Very Mad why do they now say it is from when you purchased your tomtom,if you have parted with your very hard earned cash Crying or Very sad and chose a tomtom over other sat nav manufacturers,they should not quibble over what map you get,as long as you get one map upgrade,and it should be the one that is currently out when you go to the tomtom website to use your LPG, Evil or Very Mad why are they being so awkward Evil or Very Mad
ragoth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlandEi/ I just got in, checked Home v2.3, and it offered me the v8.10 maps, which I was able to download and install.
For reference, I bought my TT520 sometime around 15 aug and switched it on 19 Aug.
I was all ready to get a screen grab of their page on how they describe the LMG offer, and tell them I'd be finding where to send it as a Trade's Description issue.
It's not on for them to turn around and say 'well, the meaning of it is ...' to weasle out of it. It says what is says and it doesnt mention their new 'what was available at the time of purchase' angle as far as I can see.
tilyymolly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first switched my 530 on, on August the 5th. I was offered the version 8.10 map on the 4th of September, for free. It downloaded and installed with no problems. Smile
The A5 by pass at Tamworth is now on the latest map. The road is 3 years old.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: