Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - If TomTom Home was my home I'd move out.....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

If TomTom Home was my home I'd move out.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharps4065
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: If TomTom Home was my home I'd move out..... Reply with quote

I've been swearing at LMG and TomTom home for the last 9 hours! Home recognises that my 930T is eligible for updating my North America and Western & Central Europe maps. Fine, but......!

First I tried downloading both maps. The North America map seemed to download OK right up to the last second then I got a "Error when contacting server:Forbidden error". It generated an incident report which I duly sent off. This happened twice!!! 4 hours gone for nothing!!!!

So, I thought I'd be cute. I only selected the Western Europe to download and install. 2 hours later it succeeds and says it's installed. I duly fire up my 930T and lo.... My Western Europe map no longer exists, no old version, no new version, nothing!! Thankyou TomTom!!

So, luckily I have some knowledge of IT so I search the PC for ZIPs created today. I find 2 North America ZIPs which contain a .pna saying its version 810 and 2 Western Europe ZIPs which are reported by the OS as being corrupt.

As I write this I'm try another download of Western Europe which I hope at least will produce a valid ZIP.

My question is, if I do manage to get valid ZIPS of both of these maps will I be able to just the content of them onto my 930T by Explorer or does the TT Home "install" (joke) actually register it's legal use?

As I said, I'd move out if TomTom provided my home......
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the update process is to supply the encrypted activation code for your map so Home must be able to see your device and the TomTom server to complete the update, you are not alone in reporting this type of problem, every time new maps are released the forum is inundated with reports of download issues - Mike
sharps4065
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is that a yes or no? There is an activation_map_50377.cab file in the North_America directory thatTomTom has made , along with 2 gifs and toc file. My understanding is that a cab file can be run. Does running this register the maps on the pna? Or do I continue losing the will to live.....
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try extracting the CAB file to a known location on the PC, if this works OK copy the resultant folder to the Tomom and see if the new map is selectable and if it works, if it doesn't work remove it from the device and use Home to download another copy - Mike
sharps4065
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home actually recognised that I had a copy on my PC and installed from there so it's not as dumb as it tries to make out....

Have to say that after the last 11 hours of grinding and gnashing of teeth it's going to be a cold day in hell before I repeat the exercise. Absolute necessity only!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you will be running out of time for the Europe map so I would grab that while the going is good, leave it too long and you might miss the boat - Mike
sharps4065
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally snagged them both thanks Mike. I'm now doing a lap of honour and celebrating with a good stiff drink!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: