Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Kenwood DNX5220 Wont see POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Kenwood DNX5220 Wont see POI's
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fokkerjet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The version I am using is Ashampoo Burning Studio 2008. I think it has been superceded now by Ashampoo Burning Studio 8

http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/products/php/product.php?session_langid=2&idstring=0710

It generally works fine for all the things I would burn- dvd's or cd's.

I will try the Nero trial- I used to have a high spec Nero but had a computer crash and lost it- hence I got the Ashampoo, which was free.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
You could try a 15 Day TRIAL version of Nero fromhere

Just as an aside...
I've been using various versions of Nero for yonks, usually the "free" or "express" versions, but in order to see if it fixed a completely different problem I installed the trial of the full version of Nero 8.

Massive bloatware! As usual it wants to take over your entire PC, and one of it's "indexing services" seems to regularly hog 60-70% of my CPU time, slowing everything else down 'till I killed it from running at start-up. (I wonder what other program does that too? Wink )
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use Nero 8 for the same reason, version 6 is fine and does what I want without trying to take over the PC - Perhaps the software writers were wearing red gloves when they created vs8 Shocked - Mike
fokkerjet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to get back on topic, the file I produced from Nero (bloatware or whatever) did exactly the same as the disk I made through Ashampoo- namely, the Kenwood unit just plays the disk as an audio file.

Either there is something wrong with the way I have made the POI's using POIloader software or there is a setting wrong in my unit. I cannot believe it is faulty as everything else works fine.

This is what I am doing: When I download the file from Pocketgpsworld and unzip it, I get a load of files, many of them Office Excel Comma Separated Values files and some bitmap images. Then I use the POIloader software and I get a single file called GARMIN with a single file inside called POI.GPI. It is 1,017kb in size. This file called GARMIN with the GPI file inside is what I am burning to disk (and finalising) and installing to the Kenwood unit.

Have I done something wrong here? Maybe someone who has succeeded can check the file that they produced and see if it is the same as mine?

This is driving me nuts- it should be so simple!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then I use the POIloader software and I get a single file called GARMIN with a single file inside called POI.GPI. It is 1,017kb in size. This file called GARMIN with the GPI file inside is what I am burning to disk (and finalising) and installing to the Kenwood unit.

Sorry but this appears to be wrong.

Garmin units normally require a file called POI.GPI inside a FOLDER called POI which in turn is inside another FOLDER called Garmin.

Can you try that?
fokkerjet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PaulB- I tried what you suggested and it didn't work.

I now have a file called Garmin with a File inside called POI and inside that a file called POI.GPI.

When I put any of these disks into the Kenwood unit, I get the same result- an audio output (sounding a bit like a fax machine). This is with it burnt on either a mixture of Ashampoo or Nero, using quality (but rapidly diminishing) Maxell disks.

Surely someone has a clue what is happening. I have only had the unit a couple of days so I don't know all the ins and outs of it.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a CDRW you can try using that. It sounds like the unit is trying to play the files as a music file rather than treating it as a Data disk.

Have you tried a different brand of CD?

Can you try again (you don't need to burn a disk this time) and take a screen shot of each step of the process right up to the point where you click Burn. I'll PM you an address to send them to....
fokkerjet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please check your e mail Paul
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see any problems there. Just one final suggestion though, can you try a lower burn speed? Try 1x instead of 40x.....
spadgerdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had problems loading speed cameras onto my 5220, however, if you follow the instructions and wait................ for the cd to read, it initially says error, then changes to an update screen on the 5220.

Now, my problem is stopping the unit bonging constantly at me when I exceed the speed by 1mph !

I have installed and deleted 2 databases - what do you have to do to see the cameras, get a warning but if you choose to go faster, stop bonging at me "!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have installed and deleted 2 databases - what do you have to do to see the cameras, get a warning but if you choose to go faster, stop bonging at me "!!

Hi and welcome.

You can use Ash10's Camera manager to alter the behaviour to a degree. The free version has a few functions disabled. You can find it here

A few things to note. You need to be logged into the PGPSW website with Internet Explorer even if you don't normally use it) as it downloads it's own copy of the database into your POI folder and then alters the contents according to your selected options. It outputs the data as GPX files which are a lot larger than then CSV files so POILoader will take a lot longer to process them and produce the POI.GPI file. Even if it says it not responding leave it - it can take a few minutes.
fokkerjet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have solved this with the help of Kenwood.

In case there are others with the same problems, this is the solution:

Make sure that the file is burned and finalised. Follow the instructions carefully on the Kenwood website.

Before you place the burnt cd into the Kenwood unit, go to System Setup menu and change CD READ 2 to CD READ 1.

Then place the disk into the head unit and leave it to do its thing. It works fine now and no audio sounds will be heard.

Hope this helps fellow sufferers.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: