Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Files on SD Card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Files on SD Card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Files on SD Card Reply with quote

Hi, I've recently acquired a TT 730T. I noticed in the shop that there was an SD card slot, so I imagined that I could use an SD card to supplement the internal memory.
However reading the manual, it seems that it can only be used to store mp3 and voicebooks etc.
Can anyone tell me if it can be used for POI's (PGPSW cameras & etc) or is is just for media files? Seems a bit of a waste if so.

Also, there are lots of files on the 730's drive, including a copy of TomTom home.exe. Can any of these files/folders be safely deleted?

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SD card on these models can also be used for additional maps.

POIs ALWAYS have to go in the same folder as the map for which they are being used - so by definition the SD card can be used for POIs, but only if the whole map is on the card.

Be very wary of deleting anything off the internal memory until you know EXACTLY what you are doing. There should be plenty of room on there for any POIs you want to add without deleting anything, anyway.

TTHome.exe is the ONLY thing I would consider deleting, but it is useful to have it on there if you ever find yourself at another PC without it (in a cyber cafe abroad maybe?).
Some people remove the foreign language voices, but again, you shouldn't need to do this unless you get desperately short of room. POI files (even the camera database) only take up a tiny amount of space.

The most important thing to do before you even consider any mucking around is to do a full backup with Windows Explorer. Instructions are in the FAQs (Number 1 HERE)

Last edited by Andy_P on Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my 4gb sd card to store all my mp3's & I copied over the map from the unit so I can pop the card out to update the speed camera & poi updates from here.

So yes you can put the map on the sd card if you wish. Before you start removing any files I would do a full back up using windows not the Home backup.
porkypenguin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a slight tangent from the above. I have a TT720 Go and have the device memory almost full and an almost empty 2gb SD Card. When I try to download a new map or anything over about 2MB I am told I have to remove items from my device. How can I 'force' the download onto the SD Card, please?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Home starts, the very first screen should ask you which storage location you want to use.
porkypenguin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy P. Thank you I always use that option when updating stuff, obviously, I must continue to juggle with the TT Home start up menu. At a further tangent, (sorry) I have maps on my device and internal memory which I cannot use in that they do not appear on the list accessed thru 'Manage Maps'. I get Europe and 'Canary Islands' but not my installed but inaccessible 'Alps' special high detail one. Any help there please for a very old gadget freak?!
porkypenguin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By good luck or judgement I can now access all my maps! I did some deleting and re-downloading and all is well. Thanks for assistance and help provided
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
The most important thing to do before you even consider any mucking around is to do a full backup with Windows Explorer. Instructions are in the FAQs (Number 1 HERE)

That was the absolute first thing I did, both a windows backup and one using TomTom home.

So far I have found the latest version of TomTom Home to be more reliable than the earlier version I had. I cannot understand why it only allows one backup version.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor.dowle wrote:
I cannot understand why it only allows one backup version.

If you manually rename the backup folder ( ie add a version number or date etc ) TomTom will create another & you can keep as many backups as you want.

When I say manually rename I mean through windows explorer
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:

Yes OK. I was talking about extra backups using TomTom Home. I've got several using explorer.
Thanks anyway.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:

If you manually rename the backup folder ( ie add a version number or date etc ) TomTom will create another & you can keep as many backups as you want.

Might I suggest that if you have to use Explorer to rename the Home-created backups, you might as well use Explorer to make them in the first place! Smile

That little limitation is only ONE of the problems that Home has in making reliably usable backups....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: