Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Compass error on latest version
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Compass error on latest version
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrancisK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My real problem with the new compass is not to do with the direction of the pointer (but I do prefer the top to always be North - any other way is for people who can only read a map by turning round!) but with the size of it - it is too small on my Go 720, especially on a car where using the standard mount low down sets the TomTom at the back of a flat dashboard.

Francis
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to have stirred up this debate into a hornet's nest again.

I've just submitted my "question" to TomTom via their web site. Hopefully if enough of us express our dis-pleasure they will give us the choice of what the compass displays on the next release. After all that's what we paid for Rolling Eyes

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll have to see what TomTom provide in the future.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrancisK wrote:
(but I do prefer the top to always be North - any other way is for people who can only read a map by turning round!)

How can you have that unless you only travel north all the time?
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, hasn't anybody got any sense of direction anymore.
Andy you are probably right, however i have seen units where no matter what direction you are travelling the pointer will always face north, just like a compass should work.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrancisK wrote:
Quote:
but I do prefer the top to always be North

If you always want the map to be oriented towards the north, then change the map view to 2D (page 3 of preferences) and select the "2D map - north at the top" option.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
mattcu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, some appear overly critical of how much value others place on the use of the 'compass'.

Quote:
Jeez, hasn't anybody got any sense of direction anymore.

OK firstly - no, perhaps some people don't have as good a sense of direction as others, hence the need for satnav...? Secondly, that could be quite easily turned on it's head about any TT feature.

Advanced Lane Guidance? Jeez, hasn't anybody got the ability to read any more? Why don't they just look out of the window and follow the overhead lane markers? Must be a complete gimmick, eh?

TomTom Traffic? Jeez, don't people know how to use Traffic Priority on their car stereo any more?

Itinerary planning has gone? Jeez, can't people spend 30 seconds entering a new route when they get to their first destination?

Horses for courses.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a real compass always points north. But it also has all the other directions marked on it. And you can turn it round to see at a glance what direction you are travelling.

In V7 (and Navigator before that) I always had my direction of travel shown in the centre as N,NW,W,SW,S,SE,E,or NE. That's the function I really miss in V8. I'd be quite happy with the new pointer if it displayed as a compass rose. I don't want to have to think while driving "North is diagonally left and down so am I going south-east, north-east, south-west, or north-west. Gun Shoot Out TomTom Programmers.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Quote"Advanced Lane Guidance? Jeez, hasn't anybody got the ability to read any more? Why don't they just look out of the window and follow the overhead lane markers? Must be a complete gimmick, eh?"Quote"

Couldn't agree more, i love the graphics they use for it though.
Most of the gimmicks are just that, most don't work as they should or are very buggy.
As for a sat nav device they are excellent.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a bigger issue here though which one of the above posts lists a number of functions that used to be available to users of certain hardware, with the latest software installed these options have been either removed or simply dumbed down.

Whether or not these options are used by the majority or minority people get used to them and to find that post update they no longer work is not good.

Worse still is the One Third Edition which cannot be rolled back to the previous day01 backup following an update, so owners of this unit who did have certain things working previously can no longer use them - Mike
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to Head North but I can't see the flaming thing now. Surprised

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a reply from TT after posting my request on their site. Seems they've had loads of people complain and will endeavour to change in a future upgrade. See reply below:-

"Many people feel the same way that you do about this change. I will make sure to pass along the message to our experts, to make sure that we get this changed. I estimate that before the end of the year, you will see this feature come back again."

Cheers..... Gav Smile

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I estimate that before the end of the year, you will see this feature come back again.
I hope he's right, But I'll believe it when I see it. Happy
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely, if you've used a real compass, the needle always points NORTH so why is this move by TomTom so illogical?

Example of the need for a compass pointing to the destination. The problem is there's been some very heavy snow and traffic is blocking all the major routes to a hotel I'm heading for, all I have is an address and postcode. Instead of sticking to the main roads I ignore TT and head off vaguely north using any road that's got moving traffic. With the north-pointing compass I could be 10 miles east of my destination but I don't know it and I carry on north.

Been there, done that a few years ago getting out of south wales and a compass pointing to my destination was my saviour. As I came to be east of the hotel, the arrow swung round to show me and I changed the direction of the roads I used. Eventually the snow cleared and TT took me to the door.

How about we drop the word compass and call it an arrow pointing to the destination?
andyjdhurley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a pointer to the destination could be useful but many have been saying they want a pointer to their heading. I can't quite see the point of this, I'd far rather see which way north is from which I get an instinctive feel for the heading (and even vaguely where my destination is). Maybe that's just me though and the fully customisable one should return.

Incidently, I've just been playing with custom menus on my One (3rd edition) and noticed that not only could I get the manage POI menu back (and working) but the compass prefs menu is still there and functional. Only thing is the actual compass doesn't display.

I'm still looking for a way to reactivate Map Corrections and Help Me though. (This is with navcore8 of course and Itinerary planning just causes the TT to freeze.)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: