Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What BT GPS system should I get for my iPAQ H2210?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What BT GPS system should I get for my iPAQ H2210?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadMaxMel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: What BT GPS system should I get for my iPAQ H2210? Reply with quote

I am interested in purchasing a GPS system for my HP 2210 iPAQ that has an additional 256MB SD card (populated in the SD slot) and a 4GB microdrive (populated in the CF slot), so I have plenty of extra storage for maps etc, and I generally keep my iPAQ free of unnecessary software, using it primarily for WMA VBR playback, movies and Avantgo, but I would like to start utilising it’s power (e.g. screen size, colour etc.) for GPS, but after looking at the plethora of GPS systems available I am overwhelmed by the choice and confused by all the technical jargon used when comparing them using the comparison feature of the web site.

I would like some advice from knowledgeable persons, ideally people who have reviewed or owned more than one GPS system.

Ideally what I am after is a unit that uses Bluetooth (or less preferable, by cable) to connect to my iPAQ and will provide the best possible reception of signal (as I have found my eTrek Vista handheld GPS unit less favourable in this respect), has good detailed mapping and doesn’t use took much battery, as I will want to use it on long hauls on my mountain and road bikes as well as the car. Money isn’t really an object, but I would like value for my hard earned cash.

In short I am after:

1. Good on and off road mapping*, i.e. not just road maps, ideally OS style maps

2. Good reception, not just in open spaces, but under trees etc.

3. Good battery life, ideally rechargeable.

4. External antenna that can be permanently mounted to the car, but detachable from the GPS unit, so that the GPS unit can be used out of the car, e.g. handheld or on bike.

* my main complaints about my eTrek Vista is that the mapping accuracy on the unit is worthless, as it uses too few points to draw a road and thus renders the “lock to road” feature next to useless.

Waterproof would be perfect, splash-proof would be ideal, but neither is essential.

I have no idea as to what half these features mean, and whether one is better than another, or even if one is desirable:

- SiRF ST/XT Dual Mode (GPS Receiver Performance)
- SiRF XTrac (GPS Receiver Performance)
- NMEA Support (GPS Interface)
- SBAS (WAAS/EGNOS/DGPS) Support (GPS Interface)
- External Antenna (MCX) (GPS Receiver)
- External Antenna (MMCX) (GPS Receiver)

Any help, advice, experience would be most appreciated.

Thanks

MadMaxMel Thumbs Up
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please use our Comparison Database do do some more preselection? Given your extensive list you may need to do some compromizing, though.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MadMaxMel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Lutz, thanks for your reply, and I do not mean to be ungrateful, however, your suggestion appears to have missed my point altogether, in that I have already said I find the comparison database overwhelming and bewildering.

I am looking for a more personal opinion, and/or professional guidance on which unit to plum for. Realistically I am probably going to go with what someone else recommends to me, especially considering the overwhelming number of options.

What would be useful, particularilly to a novice like me would be a lab test with categorized “recommended” outcomes, like Best Value, Best Performance and Recommended, along similar lines to PC Pro and other magazine reviews.

Having revisited your web site offerings, I looked into the possibility of a Compact Flash GPS device (instead of a BT unit), as this would then keep the whole thing integrated, but again the list of options available to the consumer is long, and no clear winner is established, leaving me, the reader in a quandary of what I should spend my money on.

Now I have questions on battery life of my iPAQ when using a CF GPS device, and thus would I have to invest in an extended life battery for my iPAQ as a result? Yet again more questions, that someone, somewhere must have some experience of!

So again, I would like to request help and advise from someone who knows more than I do and/or someone who has tested a good number of devices.

Thanks

MadMaxMel Thumbs Up
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really do need to narrow down to a few products based on what exactly you want to do with GPS.

As you stated on and off road, on the bike and possibly on foot then Bluetooth is a good starting point. I will give you a few pointers to some of your questions:

1. Good on and off road mapping*, i.e. not just road maps, ideally OS style maps
For this you will need seperate software.
For road you can consider TomTom Navigator v3, Navman SmartST v2, (There are others but I am shortlisting)
For off road there is Anquet OS mapping and Memory Map OS mapping

2. Good reception, not just in open spaces, but under trees etc.
There are no devices that will give 100% reception in heavy built up areas or in dense woodland However I have used the Navman 4100 BT receiver and it offers reasonable reception under those conditions.
Others to consider are Fortuna Clip On

3. Good battery life, ideally rechargeable.
The Navman 4100 uses std AAA batteries or you can use AAA rechargables but the unit wont charge them. Battery life is estimated at 30 hours but the best I have achieved is 15 hours from new.
Fortuna Clip On uses replacable rechargable

4. External antenna that can be permanently mounted to the car, but detachable from the GPS unit, so that the GPS unit can be used out of the car, e.g. handheld or on bike.
A Bluetooth receiver will give you the best of both worlds... no wires. fully portable. Place the receiver on the dash inside the car then in your pocket when away from the car.
Both the Navman and Fortuna have provision to plug in an external antenna if you desire although this defeats the object of Bluetooth.

Ultimately your descision should be based on what you require from the equipment. I hope I have given you some useful advice.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are planning to use the bells and whistles of the device I recommend you look for a fully equipped BlueTooth receiver. One that has replaceable batteries, and (optionally) XTrac mode and/or a datalogger.

Fortuna Clip-on http://pocketgpsworld.com/fortuna-clip-on.php
Royaltek RBT 3000 http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/royaltekrbt3000.php

CF receivers have too many limitations (battery life, angle of view , occupying the fast CF slot etc)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Last edited by lbendlin on Wed May 19, 2004 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I share the searching

FWIW there is a difference between topographical mapping software (accuracy in terrain, heights and positioning) and street/route planning software.

Route mapping may use particular tweaks to make sure the position appears on a road rather than in the middle of a building.

I mention this because mapping software really isn't a one-size fits all affair. More likely a best of route mapping and a best of topo mapping.

If you enjoy the search IMHO you'll probably enjoy shortlisting and finding your best options

BBB
MadMaxMel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys – thanks for your responses.

I appreciate I may be being a little vague in my requirements, but that’s part of the problem, as I do not necessarily know that I “need” topological maps as well as road maps.

So, to refine my questions:

1. What is the best UK topological GPS mapping software for Pocket PC that is closest to Ordinance Survey Land Ranger or other detailed mountaineering type maps, details for example of contours, various paths, outcrops etc.?

2. What is the best UK road GPS mapping software for Pocket PC that is closest to the AA or RAC Road Atlas style maps?

It would sound like a CF unit would not be the best hardware solution (although it would be nice from a compactness point of view).

Taking the point about placing a BT unit my pocket, surely that would restrict line-of-sight and reception in general (as I understand it, GSP is a low-powered radio wave?), so surely it would prove more advisable to mount the unit on the handlebars of the bike or placed in the top of a rucksack perhaps?

Now, I have just discovered that it is possible (with a suitable lead) to connect my iPAQ H2210 with my eTrek Vista… so my questions above are now weighted by whether the relevant software will take its GPS input from a Vista?

Any advice on this (using a eTrek with an iPAQ) would be useful

Cheers

MadMaxMel Thumbs Up
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure the iPAQ can take the data directly from the Etrek but then you end up with a permanent cable connection...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now if only the etrek had a bluetooth facility?

No, it won't happen?

I bet Garmin has already assigned the R&D and product development budgets this year.

Over to Magellan?

the bagal has spoken
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadMaxMel wrote:
1. What is the best UK topological GPS mapping software for Pocket PC that is closest to Ordinance Survey Land Ranger or other detailed mountaineering type maps, details for example of contours, various paths, outcrops etc.?

2. What is the best UK road GPS mapping software for Pocket PC that is closest to the AA or RAC Road Atlas style maps?

Taking the point about placing a BT unit my pocket, surely that would restrict line-of-sight and reception in general (as I understand it, GSP is a low-powered radio wave?), so surely it would prove more advisable to mount the unit on the handlebars of the bike or placed in the top of a rucksack perhaps?

1. Both Anquet and MemoryMap use OS 1:25,000 landranger maps and they are both exactly like the paper equivalents. your choice between these would be based on the amount of functionality you want.
www.anquet.co.uk www.memory-map.co.uk

2. To my knowledge, you wont get any GPS street routing software that is exactly like the AA or RAC road atlas, but TomTom and Navman are pretty close. Go to their websites and look at screenshots or the demos, you will then see if the map quality is what you are expecting.
Topo OS maps are no good for street routing.

If you can mount the unit on the handlebars of the bike or place it in the top of a rucksack then this would obviously give optimum reception. Both the Navman 4100 and Fortuna Clip-on are sensitive receivers with Royaltek RBT 3000 a close 3rd.
I can only speak of my own experiences, placing it in your pocket will not stop it from receiving the GPS signals. If I can still get a 4-5 sat lock with the receiver tucked inside the centre console arm rest then a bit of clothing won't cause signal loss.

If you dont know whether you need topographical maps it is not a problem as they are seperate software packages to street routing that can be bought at a later stage.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
MadMaxMel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys - Thanks for the guidance, it was extremely helpful Smile

Now that I know I can get a cable to connect my eTrek Vista with my iPAQ I am planning on using my eTrek Vista as the source for GPS signal.

I don't suppose you know if all GPS mapping software will take the output from an eTrek as suitable input?

And if so, is there any downside I should be aware of? E.g. is it less accurate than say a more modern unit.

Also, I understand that CoPilot Live 4 is meant to be the best Road mapping software... is that right (IYHO)?

Thanks again, and any more help would be appreciated Smile

MadMaxMel Thumbs Up
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys, MMM and all

have a look at this

http://forbes.com/2002/04/29/0429tentech.html

it looks about 5" by 1"
has a 1 Gigahertz cpu courtesy Transmeta
TFT off course
runs full versions of Windows XP

somehow i think the drawback on portability will be power drain

but always forwards, never backwards - and a nice bit of kit
too
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the software supports NMEA 0183 then it should work fine.

As for GPS Accuracy: The garmin spec suggests:-
Position: <15 meters, 95% typical
WAAS Accuracy:
Position: <3 meters, 95% typical*

I'm not sure of the chipset in the Vista but sirf chipsets in current BT receivers have typical accuracy of <5 meters 95% of the time.

As you already own the Vista and 2210 then trying them together with navigation software would only cost you the price of the connecting lead should it prove to be inadequate.

Incidentally, having looked at the review of CoPilot Live 4 i'd say it is worthy of consideration.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBB

The Oqo looks impressive but equally intriguing is the following info
http://www.forbes.com/2002/04/25/0425pda.html
The XDA II looks like it could be the future of PDAs.

heres a link to more impending releases:
http://www.brighthand.com/article/Windows_Mobile_SE_Handhelds_Expected_Soon?site=PPC

Technology never stands still Exclamation
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
MadMaxMel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All

Thanks for all your contributions.

I am currently waiting for the eCombo-i38 cable (£37.95) from Lynks Cables UK (http://www.lynks.co.uk) which will apparently connect my eTrek Vista to my iPAQ H2210 and thus enable me to use my eTrek as GPS source.

I have downloaded (http://www.memory-map.co.uk) a 10-day trial version of Memory-Map 2004 Ordnance Survey Edition that I will install on my iPAQ when I have my connecting cable.

Fingers crossed everything should work and I will then be able to evaluate the software and establish whether my eTrek is good enough for the job.

In response to accuracy, when using my eTrek as a handheld, I have consistently (90% of the time) had 6 meter accuracy (reported by unit) and once or twice 5 meter accuracy. I have occasionally had 18 meter accuracy but that was in poor conditions (built up areas where line-of-sight wasn’t possible). Strangely enough, on top of most of Scottish mountains I get surprisingly poor accuracy, like 10-12 meters, when there is no problem with line-of-sight, but atmospheric and ionospheric conditions may have affected this.

WAAS Accuracy – that’s currently only relevant to the US right? As last time I read up about that there were only two geo-stationary satellites both over the US, none over Europe* or Britain*, so, since I am predominantly in the UK, I am not currently going to get much more accuracy than the 5-6 meters I have been experiencing.

* Does anyone know what stages the Euro Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service (EGNOS) system is at and whether it will be usable by my Garmin eTreck Vista?

Any more advice, help or recommendations are still welcome.

Thanks

MadMaxMel Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: