Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 7XX with non Sirf chip and Poorer Screen
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 7XX with non Sirf chip and Poorer Screen
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Nuvi 7XX with non Sirf chip and Poorer Screen Reply with quote

I purchased an additional Nuvi 7XX series today.

When I got home and booted it up there was no Sirf logo, no Sirf comments on the settings screen and the GPS firmware was 2.60m. The GPS firmware on my old Nuvi is 3.00s. The model with 2.60m shipped with firmware 2.70. TTFF was quicker on the non Sirf model but accuracy was worse. Does the 'm' suffix mean a non sirf GPs chipset?

The screen on the newer model was significantly poorer. Even a 100% brightness it was only equal to 50% on my older version, with the two sat side-by-side. the difference was worse than the 3XX series to thr 7XX. The viewing angle was also significantly worse - so much so that I took the newer model back and asked for a replacement - this one too also had a poor / dull screen. Has anyone else recently purchased a 7XX and compared with an older 7XX model or know why or even if, Garmin have change chip and or screen manufacturer??
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw your same post at another forum. When you say 2.6 are you referring to firmware?
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually sounds like you may have purchased a counterfeit product.

If I were you I'd email Garmin and ask them about it.
eTrex Legend (Original)
A Magellan that got wet and died on a canoe trip in 02
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange I just went on the Garmin site and did a search on "SiRF Nuvi" and got:

Quote:

Question: Which units have a SiRF chip?
Answer:
The units that have a SiRF chip are:

* nuvi® 3xx
* nuvi 6xx
* StreetPilot® c5xx
* zūmo® 4xx
* zūmo 5xx

But for sure my Nuvi has the SiRF chips. Besides seeing it noted on start up, going to System.. About shows SiRFInstantFixII.

Strange.
eTrex Legend (Original)
A Magellan that got wet and died on a canoe trip in 02
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10, before everyone gets too concerned, can you confirm that you have the MTK chip rather than sirf? If you're not sure how to check, you need to use Service Mode. Activate it by pressing the battery icon about 8-10 seconds. that should bring up the SW page. Press "Next" then on the next page press "Start Test", wait a few seconds, then press more. Scroll to the very end and the entry will state either Sirf or whatever chip is in your device.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was going to suggest that the 'm' stood for MTK but i was beaten to it...!

MaFt
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.60m is the GPS SW Version, 2.70 is the Firmware or OS version. My other Nuvi displays 3.00s as the GPS SW version. This Nuvi also shows SiRF 2008 on booting up screen and SiRF in the Settings, system, About screen which the newer Nuvi doesn't.[/img]
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any views as to which is the better chip - I know the original 7xx series suffered until sirfinstantfixII was deployed with firmware 2.60.

Is the MTK chip - if this is what I have, any better or worse than SiRFstarIII and is it cheaper or is it quicker in acquisition that has made Garmin change supplier?
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you send us a screenshot of the SW test page display showing the MTK chip?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTK is at least as good as SiRF III in my opinion. I have two data loggers one each SiRF III / MTK. They are both accurate - both track logs, when overlayed on Memory Map 1:25k, are on the road. I would guess that I usually get 5-10 mtrs accuracy with them. Very fast TTF. In the context of a nav unit, where the software locks your position to the displayed road, then any slight positional error it is of very little consequence. They reckon the MTK uses less power (ie extended battery life). I can't check this as the units I own have different operating environments.

As for the screen brightness - perhaps GARMIN use lower backlight setting on the 7xx? I have a 660 - which I guess has a 'poor' screen compared with the newer units. In the car I run mine at 10% backlight as I don't want it too obvious when I am driving. It is mounted below windscreen height and I don't have a problem with lack of brightness.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screenshot as requested

PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently only the early production units got SiRf chipsets. Later ones got Garmins own make chipsets.

My screenshot from the 760 i bought in Feb 2008

More info taken from here

Quote:
Garmin started putting SIRF III into 700 but during production switched for ‘in house’ proprietary chipset. Early adopters or if you come across old stock (first units delivered to the stores but not sold right away) may be lucky and get a unit with SIRF, others will get Garmin’s brand

Also more recent models, such as the 250, also don't have the SiRf chipset.

Finally the following was on an Amazon.com website here

Quote:
I received this response from Garmin on 11/21/2007 in response to the following question from me.
QUESTION: "I am considering purchasing a nuvi 750 over the holidays. Do the Nuvi 7XX series of GPS units come with the SiRF III chip set?"

ANSWER: "Thank you for contacting Garmin International, no the 700 series does not come with this feature. Please keep in mind that this is not required in order to have a good signal on the Garmin. We have many other Garmin units without SIRF."
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, the response you got in November of last year is obviously incorrect. Tho they may not have guaranteed to alsays use a sirf chipset, it's been confirmed with numerous devices purchased/manufactured as late as April of this year that everyone of them had a sirf chip.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Paul, the response you got in November of last year is obviously incorrect.

Just info i took on Amazon.com - not my question.

Other people seem to have the same info / response from Garmin but i can't find the info on Garmins website.

Quote:
it's been confirmed with numerous devices purchased/manufactured as late as April of this year that everyone of them had a sirf chip.

Is there anyway to confirm the date of manufacture of the individual units? You could pick up 2 units in 2 different stores on the same day and they could have been made months apart...
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is, but I'll have to refresh my memory on where. Just to remove all doubt, I'd still like to see the info displayed from the SW diagnostics test page.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: