Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - advance lane guidance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

advance lane guidance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
TomTom HAVE done something similar before... People used to be able to buy the larger, less compressed version of the maps intended for the Go910 and put it on an SD card in a "lesser" model.

Then TT produced a change which made the maps "device specific", and refused to reimburse people who they said had bought the "wrong" map.

And to this day I have no idea why they would do such a thing.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the plan was that tomtom would sell you a more expensive, presumably more profitable unit if you want a big map rather than allowing you to buy a cheaper unit with a cheap memory card and effectively upgrading it by buying another map.
Bobm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a rash moment I took the plunge and downloaded the GB & Ire 8.05 Map for a 730 and it runs fine on my 720. It even copied over the POIs I had downloaded and associated with my Western Europe Map which hasn't happened when I have downloaded maps before.

I had renamed a number of roads and put speed limits in on my Western Europe Map. These also appear on the new map - but as they show the speed as 29, 49 etc I assume it has copied over my changes and they are not incorporated on the new map as supplied.

All in all rather a success.
meryvn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kar98 wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
TomTom HAVE done something similar before... People used to be able to buy the larger, less compressed version of the maps intended for the Go910 and put it on an SD card in a "lesser" model.

Then TT produced a change which made the maps "device specific", and refused to reimburse people who they said had bought the "wrong" map.

And to this day I have no idea why they would do such a thing.

As i pointed out earlier as long as Home does not let you download the map TomTom will refund your money. It is in there T&C's that you can get a refund within 7 days as long as you haven't broken the seal on the software (breaking the seal consists of downloading, or installing).
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: 530 map on a 520 Reply with quote

when people are downloading the 530 map for the 520 are they doing this via home or another way
cheers
rob
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 530 map on a 520 Reply with quote

rob-bob wrote:
when people are downloading the 530 map for the 520 are they doing this via home or another way
There is no other way for purchasing, installing and activating a map on your device - Mike
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 530 map on a 520 Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
rob-bob wrote:
There is no other way for purchasing, installing and activating a map on your device - Mike

Log on to the TomTom website purchase the map then download and and install via TTHome.
NA 2GB v8.45
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoppy's right... there is a subtle difference.

You do need Home to download and install the map, but you can either buy it in Home, or buy it on the TT website.
I suspect only the website route allows you to "cheat" and say it is for an x30 model.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, we can download from the Tomtom website with out ‘home’, backup without ‘home’ and download/install third party software without ‘home’. But it appears that we are still tied by a piece of string to ‘home’ when it comes to installing software from the Tomtom website. Is that correct?
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of...

There are archives of older software in various places (Oldboy's site for one)
and all you need to do for some versions is replace all the files in the root directory of the TT drive with the new versions. Later versions also added some new folders or changed the contents of folders so it gets a bit trickier to do, but in principle no you don't need Home so long as someone else has already extracted the files and made an archive or you know where to look on the TT website and can de-compress the "cab" files yourself.

Maps DO need Home, as the activation/locking to one device is all done as it downloads or installs.
garcor
Regular Visitor

Location: Nova Scotia & Florida in Winter Go 920 App 8.351 Maps NA 850 & C/W EU 830

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: My isue with downloading say 930 map for 920 is $$ Reply with quote

I realize that if you are going to buy the V8 map then why not go for it now if it works and it is on sale. Except if there is an issue with the map and your unit and there is trouble down the road you might have an issue with TT support stating that the map you bought wasn't designed for your model and then there is no warranty.

On the other hand if they do release V8 map for the X20 series and if your unit is under the one-year map guarantee (as a lot of if not all the Go-920's are) then why wouldn't you weight for another month or so to get it for free.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My isue with downloading say 930 map for 920 is $$ Reply with quote

garcor wrote:
On the other hand if they do release V8 map for the X20 series and if your unit is under the one-year map guarantee (as a lot of if not all the Go-920's are) then why wouldn't you weight for another month or so to get it for free.

Is this a feature in Canada? We don't get a one year map guarantee over here (UK). Sad
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some 920's in North America were being sold with a 1-yr map guarantee. From what I gather, most were not.
garcor
Regular Visitor

Location: Nova Scotia & Florida in Winter Go 920 App 8.351 Maps NA 850 & C/W EU 830

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Some 920's in North America were being sold with a 1-yr map guarantee. From what I gather, most were not.

dhn could be right on this and it might be just with the Go -920 Question Question

I just know that when I sent in a copy of my bill of sale and copy of map guarantee to support I was told I had one year map guarantee and I have received 2 map upgrades since Feb/08 .

However I was also under the impression that the GO - 920 was only available in North America where the G0- 920T was available both sides of the pond.
snownrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a one XL running navcore 8 and 8.05 maps, the advance lane guidance works fine, aswell as the IQ routing.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: