Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman S70 speed camera audio alert wav file and faults
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman S70 speed camera audio alert wav file and faults
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Success Reply with quote

Removed all my personal POIs from the Navman s90i yesterday, such as Speed Cameras (leaving Navmans own directional speed camera database from RoadPilot on), and guess what...?

The unit works extremely smoothly - so it would appear the only issue with it is external POIs

Keeping the unit now as this was my only problem with the Navman

The suction holder really is fantastic. Best yet!
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Wait for xxx hours to charge before using" came from the early days of NiCad batteries, when they were shipped flat (or would loose charge so fast they were flat on delivery). More than 5 years ago manufactures switched to LiIon batteries, and before that, NiMh, which are shipped fully charged.

So is Navman tech Support out of date with the technology they use, plain dumb, or does Navman use obsolete (And environmetally bad)NiCad batteries in their latest devices?

Maybe they just wanted to get rid of you and they knew they would be off shift in 5 hours when you called back......
paulwillow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the S70 about six weeks ago. Great kit but I too have found a few problems. The first issue, like xtraseller earlier on in this thread, is that the screen freezes when you set "avoid area" even though the voice instructions continue. The more annoying problem that has just occured is some sort of corruption with the POI's database I reckon. I was trying to load the pocket gps traffic poi's (because the ones that come preinstalled are so out of date Sad ) and a windows pop up appeared. Since then, all POI's that I try to load are reported as corrupt by the Navman software. I have previously loaded these POI's so I know the files are ok.

Anyone else had these problems? Navman havent responded to my support call raised 2 days ago and Tesco's are refusing to take back the unit because its 9 days over the 28day return policy ! Twisted Evil
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulwillow wrote:
Since then, all POI's that I try to load are reported as corrupt by the Navman software.

What is the exact message that you get?
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Crashes Reply with quote

All the problems are caused by the importing of POIs - I've removed all my custom POIs and rely on the included ones, and it works very smoothly and have not has a crash since

Navman accept and are aware of this issue and will release a fix in December (download automatically via NavDesk)

I've read in other posts that this Custom POI problem only causes issues with XP users (like me) not with they were loaded on with Vista - but I would treat this advice with caution as a) have not tried it myself and b) cannot see the logic behind it as its a data list
minime1984
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the s serie can't take more than 12000 poi's, if you put on more than that the performances is affected.300kb max, so if you download speed cameras 510kb and over 12000 poi you will have problems.ive sent mine back! Crying or Very sad
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Navigation Reply with quote

The navigation performance of the Navman s90i imho beats that of my Nuvi, Navigon and TomTom so the POI issue isn't a major one for me - after all I bought it first and formast for navigation, speed cameras a bonus. It has most fixed cameras already installed, and will be able to handle PGPSW database by new year - very happy to keep mine!
paulwillow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaps, thanks for your responses. I have fixed my POI problem by doing a complete rebuild of the device from CD. I spoke with Navman support who advised me to check the csv I was trying to import didnt have any text (none GPS corodinates) at the begining of the file, and though good advice didnt fix my problem. I copied the contents of the Navman flash disk to my PC, removed all the directories from the flash and then did a reinstall using the Navman 2008 utility. I had to retrieve the keys and reinstall the maps, but I now have a working S70 Very Happy . I havent checked the "Avoid Area" problem yet, but suspect that will need the service pack from Navman (eta December apparently.)
reevco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Navman s70 problems Reply with quote

jm202067 wrote:
I think mine is going back for a refund or replacement as the slow response of the touchscreen is driving me mad. It's worst on the poi screens which are very unresponsive and often take ten seconds plus to respond to screen presses. It is unbelievable how Navman have released a sat nav that has so many obvious faults. Another problem is the speed camera icons are often not displayed on the screen when in 3D mode but are there when i change the screen to 2D. This mainly seems to affect the mobile speed cams which i have selected to just display on the map without a written alert or sound alert. The gatso cams that i have selected for audio and visual alerts work fine? The Navman speed camera database that comes with it is a joke as well with so many cameras missing or incorrect,many cameras have been up years and not on there. Navman have got a cheek giving paying subscribers such poor quality speed cam data! The pocket gps world data is far better and cheaper too.

HI JM

I don't know how true it is (I have only had my S90i two days) but, I read on the web that the cameras in the 3D maps will only show if you are exceeding the speed otherwise navman deem it unnecessary for the camera to show itself. And the traffic won't work on certain voices
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: S Series Reply with quote

Yes the speed camera database use is intelligent - ie. if you are within 10% of the speed limit (under) or more then it will warn you. And only if you are driving in the direction of the camera too. This is a great benefit because with all the speed cameras around these days you don't want the unit beeping on every turn

Don't know about the TMC and Voice issue - but I've had my s90 since launch and havent had this issue

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: