Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - advance lane guidance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

advance lane guidance
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: advance lane guidance Reply with quote

can anybody confirm if this works on a 520 with the latest map
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the very latest map being v720 for your device the Lane Assist/ reality view will not work, you would need the version 8 maps on the device for this to become active.
A few forum members have reported they have these working on the x20 devices by fooling the map shop into thinking they had an x30 device.
The problem is if it won't activate on your device it will not be supported by TomTom as this version of map is not yet currently available for the model you have - Mike
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

thanks
Rob
Musketter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went to TomTom shop and downloaded the 8.05 UK&I map under the 530 .

It downloaded and installed perfectly. I didn't have to do any tricks or break any rules. I just used a download that was freely available, and that I had paid for.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musketter wrote:

It downloaded and installed perfectly. I didn't have to do any tricks or break any rules. I just used a download that was freely available, and that I had paid for.

But do you have a 530 or a 520?

If it's a 520, you may not have "broken any rules" but if it hadn't worked, or if you have a problem in the future, TT are likely to wash their hands of it.
Musketter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I should have put I have a 520.

After reading on this and several other forums that it works I tried it. If I had problems I would have just waited until they authorized the maps for the 520 and then hoped.

The main reason I didn't wait was due to the fact that the price is bound to go up to the full, if not a higher price once they are ok to use on the X20's.

Where as £39 isn't peanuts to me, neither is it a life changing amount. I considered it worth the risk after reading that other people had been successful. I would not have tried it if I had to change the registry or any other files, same as I would never use cracked maps etc.

I really do not see why some people are getting so hot under the collar over this. I buy a lottery ticket every week but there is no guarantee I will be successful. Just because they do not wish to try, it doesn't mean I can't. I wouldn't want 3 TT's across my dash but I am happy for you to have them (can I just add I enjoyed you post about the different routes given).

Freedom of choice is what makes this country what it is.

K
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only reason people are getting "hot under the collar" about it is that if someone says "buy this, it works" and then someone loses their money when it doesn't, you can imagine, all hell will break out.

TomTom HAVE done something similar before... People used to be able to buy the larger, less compressed version of the maps intended for the Go910 and put it on an SD card in a "lesser" model.

Then TT produced a change which made the maps "device specific", and refused to reimburse people who they said had bought the "wrong" map.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish someone would try to explain that argument in the Navcore 8 Upgrade for Older Devices Released thread.

But trying to explain that to them is like talking to a brick wall, with one exception... You'll get more & better response from a brick wall! Twisted Evil
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musketter wrote:

Same here on my 520 even had emails off TomTom thanking me for my custom. No Tricks and paid for. I now there are sites out there already doing cracked maps but I took the chance and paid for the proper version it works great.
I am surprised how upto date the 8.05 maps are the round abouts on the A1 have only just been removed here in Lincolnshire and they have gone from the map
NA 2GB v8.45
Musketter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I accept your point, bar the fact I haven't told people to buy it, just that I have.

I understand that people have different opinions on this and I would like to end it on that point. I have too much respect for you as one of the sites main posters and have always found your advice very helpful.

Can we end the rights and wrongs of it here, and turn our frustrations to TomTom customer care, after all, they desrve it, Laughing Out Loud.
meryvn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I think the only reason people are getting "hot under the collar" about it is that if someone says "buy this, it works" and then someone loses their money when it doesn't, you can imagine, all hell will break out.

TomTom HAVE done something similar before... People used to be able to buy the larger, less compressed version of the maps intended for the Go910 and put it on an SD card in a "lesser" model.

Then TT produced a change which made the maps "device specific", and refused to reimburse people who they said had bought the "wrong" map.

TomTom reimbursed me the cost of the map, as long as you haven't downloaded it (which Home won't let you if you don't have the correct device) then there T&C's say the must refund you within 7 days of purchase. Downloading the map or installing it count as 'breaking the seal' and invalidate the refund guarantee. Although i gues if Home lets you download it but then not install it then you are screwed for a refund.
alfa-16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I got this right?

No point in buying current maps for 720 if you want have lane guidance.

If you just want IQ routing, then the newest version provides it.

No one has any idea when V8 maps will be available for X20 devices.

The maps, when they are released, will be identical to the currently available X30 maps but will cost more money.
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfa-16 wrote:
Have I got this right?

No point in buying current maps for 720 if you want have lane guidance.

If you just want IQ routing, then the newest version provides it.

No one has any idea when V8 maps will be available for X20 devices.

The maps, when they are released, will be identical to the currently available X30 maps but will cost more money.

If you were to get the 8.05 map that are for the 730 Both lane guidance and IQ routing work on the 720 if you have the latest software 8.010 too.

If you have the V7 maps then niether will work even with the latest software.
NA 2GB v8.45
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and for the second two questions:
3. Probably August
4. Probably the same price as the existing x30 maps (I don't think anyone has ever said they would be more?).
But the v8 ones ARE more than the same date map in v7.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfa-16 wrote:

Well, not identical I hope. The maps that we're expecting around August should use newer Tele Atlas data than the 8.05 maps currently available.

Regards,

Ulf

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: