Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom 720 memory upgrade advice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom 720 memory upgrade advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pauluk30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: tomtom 720 memory upgrade advice Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a tomtom 720 and it seems the internal memory is running out of space and I want to add the new speed cameras from this site and some poi's and voices. I think it says i have used 1.74gig

My question is if I insert a new sd card to extend memory do I just add the new downloads onto the sd card or do I need say a 4 gig card to transfer everything from the internal memory onto the sd card and just use the sd card.

does that make sense !!!!!

any help would be great thanks Roisin
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 720 can use both the internal memory and the SD card at the same time. Earlier models could only use either one or the other.

However there are still some basic restrictions.
Maps can be installed on either internal memory or sd card
Speed cameras and any other POIs always need to be kept in the same folder as the map they are to be used with.

Computer voices can be put on either internal or card (in folders called "voices") but I've read recently that putting Text to Speech voices on the card can be problematic if using a map on the internal memory.

Music mp3s and audiobooks can be stored on both in their relevant folders "mp3" and "audiobooks").

So if you're really short on space, you could move say the entire map folder onto a card, but are you sure you are actually short on space? POI files are really tiny, even the entire speed camera database only takes up about 1/2 a megabyte.

I have the Western and Central Europe map and a load of POIs on my 720 and still have only used about 1.76 GB leaving about 143MB free.
On the SD card I have an older map and all my mp3s.
pauluk30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your reply regarding my tomtom 720. So I am guessing I should be ok to put the new speed cameras and pois on the exsisting internal memory and it should be fine.

I have just looked at the folder and it says I have used 1.74gig and I think it says that the 720 has 2 gig internal memory.

I will give it a try and hopefully all should be ok.

Many Thanks Roisin
pauluk30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I forgot to ask when I download the pocket gps cameras do I delete the tomtom 720 speed camera files from the tomtom if so does anyone know what the files are called I should delete.

Many Thanks Roisin
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauluk30 wrote:
Hi,

I forgot to ask when I download the pocket gps cameras do I delete the tomtom 720 speed camera files from the tomtom if so does anyone know what the files are called I should delete.

Many Thanks Roisin

I use both the PGPSW speed camera database & the TomTom database, although the latter is only because I have a years subs which I may as well use. I have my 520 set up to give the complete speed zoned warnings set at 10x & a beep beep from the TomTom camera warning just 10 seconds before the camera. It seems to work very well
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use them both side by side for a while to see how poor (or not) the TomTom one is.

Then you have two choices... You can delete the TT one - instructions are in the TomTom FAQs sticky topic in this very forum - see #13.
But if you haven't seen it I wholeheartedly recommend you look at them all!

Or you can just disable the TT one in the menus. Main menu/TT Plus Services/Safety Cameras/Disable.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: