Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navcore 8 Upgrade for Older Devices Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navcore 8 Upgrade for Older Devices Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Continental_Drifter
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have very little faith in TomTom's programmers. Everytime a new firmware version comes out I wait a few days before I upgrade. Consequently I have yet to upgrade my GO920 from version 7.221.

All you early adopters have saved me much aggravation. Thank You!

After carefully following this thread for a few days I had decided to finally take a chance and upgrade to 8.010. Only to discover it had been removed!

Luckily Shadamehr posted the links to the non HOME downloads - Thanks Shad!

My question is this. In reading some of the earlier posts from people who had upgrade through HOME, it seems that one needs to upgrade to version 7.481 before upgrading to 8.010. Is this necessary if I use the files I downloaded from Shad's post or can I just overwrite files as described in Mikealder's post above? Thank you for any and all advice.
Home: 2.5
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The incremental upgrade is only necessary to force HOME to offer you the latest update.

When manually updating you can skip versions as necessary.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this help you sort out what to do:

Connect the TomTom to the PC and switch it on, select Yes when asked about connection to PC. If TomTom Home software starts up close it down as it is of no assistance when following this method.

I also assume you have a full backup of the device, if not make a full back up BEFORE doing anything else.

First of all you will need WinRar software on the PC to follow this installation guide, it can be downloaded for a free 40 day evaluation period from Here

When you click the link to the manual software update download you get the option to Open or Save, choose the Save option and save the file to the desktop (it is easier to find it later on this way).

Once downloaded double click the downloaded files icon on your desktop, this will automatically start WinRar and should display as per:

Highlight all the files and folders then click “Extract To” you need to find the TomTom device from the list (in my case Drive Q).

Select the TomTom drive letter, and make sure the “Ask before overwrite” check box is selected:

Hit the OK button and the file transfer will commence, as soon as the software detects an existing file with the same name it will throw up this dialogue box:

Click “Yes to All” and leave it to update your device, once it has finished make sure there is no drive activity indicated on the TomTom screen for at least 30 seconds then right click the drive letter associated with the TomTom device and select "Eject" or "Disconnect Drive" as applicable, pulling the cable out works but can cause problems if any data transfer is still in progress - Mike

Last edited by mikealder on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
once it has finished make sure there is no drive activity indicated on the TomTom screen for at least 30 seconds then pull out the plug from the Go, it will re-boot and you will have Navcore 8,010 installed - Mike
Would it not be better to Right Click the TT Drive and select Eject?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
mikealder wrote:
once it has finished make sure there is no drive activity indicated on the TomTom screen for at least 30 seconds then pull out the plug from the Go, it will re-boot and you will have Navcore 8,010 installed - Mike
Would it not be better to Right Click the TT Drive and select Eject?
Yes - but then again there is a sense of adventure - I have had no issues with the 30 second wait and update devices on a regular basis Laughing

Seriously though Richards advice is sound and I will edit the above instructions to take this into account - Mike
ticker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: navcore How do you install Reply with quote

Just noticed how to install above sorry
will give it a try now

Sorry for what might seem a daft question!!
I have a Tomtom 920 with firmware 7.481 snd hsve downloaded
navcore_8.010.9369.gox20.cab but i do not know what to do next can any kind person help a novice!!, I have tried to use tomtom home to install
Thanks in advance

Last edited by ticker on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: navcore How do you install Reply with quote

ticker wrote:
Sorry for what might seem a daft question!!
I have a Tomtom 920 with firmware 7.481 snd hsve downloaded
navcore_8.010.9369.gox20.cab but i do not know what to do next can any kind person help a novice!!, I have tried to use tomtom home to install
Thanks in advance
See MikeAlder's post at 9:01pm above.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Elastic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I've found two minor problems with the new upgrade on the OneXL. The first is when switching off the OneXL the 'antitheft' splash screen is now much dimmer than before and can hardly be seen.

The other problem is when I use the 'TomTom Home' programme. Whenever going to select the 'Operate my device' option I always get the message to download a necessary programme even though this has been carried out when previously running the programme.
Astronut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elastic wrote:
So far I've found two minor problems with the new upgrade on the OneXL. The first is when switching off the OneXL the 'antitheft' splash screen is now much dimmer than before and can hardly be seen.

The other problem is when I use the 'TomTom Home' programme. Whenever going to select the 'Operate my device' option I always get the message to download a necessary programme even though this has been carried out when previously running the programme.

I've noticed the dimmer splash screen too which is nothing to worry about but I wouldn't categorise the second problem as 'minor' ;)

I'm unable to operate my ONE XL from HOME after upgrading the app to 8.010.
HOME tells me I have to download a necessary file (probably some ActiveX control or Java runtime module or something). I'd already done this with the previous version and it worked. No such luck now though Sad
It downloads the file and then comes up with an error message:
error calling method on NPObject!

Other changes are changed POI icons and changed alert sounds.
And as for that new compass - it's pathetic. Why the hell was this changed?!? The compass options have been replaced by 'change car symbol' which gives you the option of selecting one of four vehicles for a custom cursor - default cursor, 3 cars, a motorbike and NO truck - absolutely useless IMHO.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elastic wrote
Quote:
Whenever going to select the 'Operate my device' option I always get the message to download a necessary programme even though this has been carried out when previously running the programme.
I get this on my 720 as well & I accepted it the first time after updating although I had already accepted it on 7.221. But if I select "No" it operates normally, it's just a nuisance to go through this each time.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astronut wrote:
And as for that new compass - it's pathetic. Why the hell was this changed?!? The compass options have been replaced by 'change car symbol' which gives you the option of selecting one of four vehicles for a custom cursor - default cursor, 3 cars, a motorbike and NO truck - absolutely useless IMHO.

Well, you can download quite a few custom cursors here:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-custom-cursors.php
create your own, or even /have/ one created for you, for free, here:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/customise-your-gps.php

The new compass? Doesn't bother me, I haven't used it anyway. You'll always know where North is around here.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elastic wrote:

So feel sympathy for me then - I have 8.010 on three devices and it does it to me every time for every device!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and before someone bothers trying to get the compass back on their device by running a custom menu with the correct text in it; don't bother - it doesn't work - been there, done that etc - Mike
stevea100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, For those interested I posted a question regarding lack of space to install navcore 8 onto a one XL europe. I did eventually find the voices that I do not use and deleted them. This gave me 5 meg of space to install the upgrade.
Some observations. 1. sound alerts for tt cameras was not initaiated by default. 2. Sounds for safety camera have gone worse (opinion) I replaced the crap polite bing with a downloaded spoken alert. 3 new traffic received alert is awful,,, can't find how to change the sound!? 4 Traffic by TMC now displays time delay,, YIPPEE. Can it be relied upon?,, who Knows.
Seems to be a step in the right direction, well done tomtom. I never use the compass!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Oh and before someone bothers trying to get the compass back on their device by running a custom menu with the correct text in it; don't bother - it doesn't work - been there, done that etc - Mike

I'd also read that you couldn't get the Itinerary function back on a One 3rd edition any more.
So does it look like ALL custom menu tweaking has been scuppered by V8?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 9 of 34

Jump to: