Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Latest TomTom Navigator and Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest TomTom Navigator and Maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djerwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Latest TomTom Navigator and Maps Reply with quote

Hi All, I have a HTC Touch and was wondering if someone could tell me what the latest version of TomTom Navigator is and the latest version of the Western Europe Maps are.
Also I am going on holiday to Lanzarote next week, it this map included on mt western europe map or do I need an alternative map.
You help would be much appreciated.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest (and possibly last) version for PocketPC is v6. Not sure about the map version sorry.
djerwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Thanks. How comes it is going to be the last.
Does anyone know if the Western Europe will contain lanzarote or what map will include it.
raynerda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djerwood wrote:
Ok, Thanks. How comes it is going to be the last.
Does anyone know if the Western Europe will contain lanzarote or what map will include it.

According to some posts I have read in other forums TT are apparently going to release the next versions embedded in ROMS of devices with in-built GPS receivers. Apparently this is due to heavy pirating of their software only versions, according to these forums though it's not believed that this will stop the pirating.
Personally I think they are probably right, there are lots and lots of very clever people who are capable of doing this if they put their minds to it.

I would like to say that I do not condone the use of pirated software in any way.
Captain_Eric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't TomTom Navigator 7 listed on the HTC Diamond Touch?

Anyone seen it? Is it a real improvement?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Eric wrote:
Wasn't TomTom Navigator 7 listed on the HTC Diamond Touch?

Anyone seen it? Is it a real improvement?

Yes it was and it does appear to be true i.e. it is being supplied pre-installed in ROM on the Diamond in some markets.

We haven't seen it yet and despite our (and other editors) asking TomTom for comment on this, none has been forthcoming.
crash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be a shame for tomtom to just dump all of it's original pda customers. i was in the beta test and have used tomtom for years. i always liked their upgrade policy and have recommended them to my friends because of that. if version 6 is indeed the last i will never purchase another tomtom product againand will instruct my friends to go with another brand. looks like we'll have to find another company who wants to please their customers.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find it rather hard to find any suitable alternatives in the PDA market though, iGO or ALK's CoPilot perhaps but the choice is limited and getting smaller by the day.

TomTom sell comparatively few PPC solutions and it was fraught with piracy so the decision is not so surprising.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TomTom sell comparatively few PPC solutions and it was fraught with piracy so the decision is not so surprising.

Is their actually any foundation in that statement, Despite the numerous availability of pirated copies of software many companies still seem to make a vast profit Microsoft probably the best instance and many others including the Music industry, perhaps the fault lies in TomToms own marketing strategy, It would be nice if TomTom actually stated its stance on the PDA software front or from what the comments are its market is already disappearing.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Is their actually any foundation in that statement.

No I invented it! Each time we go to an industry event we are presented with figures from Canalys that clearly demonstrate the PDA market is dwindling fast.

PPC GPS form's less than 10% of the sales for GPS and has halved in 18mths. Smartphones which were once mooted to be the next big thing for GPS have failed to take a hold as predicted and whilst their sales have grown they still form less than 20% of sales.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear from the latest phones etc coming out that the trend may be towards larger screens thus matching the the PDAs benefit for us geriatrics, hopefully it may also regenerate the pda software market, we can but hope.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
It would appear from the latest phones etc coming out that the trend may be towards larger screens thus matching the the PDAs benefit for us geriatrics, hopefully it may also regenerate the pda software market, we can but hope.

There is a vast difference between supposed 'large screen' phones such as the n95 et al and a dedicated PDA.

Nokia may have a market for a second GPS device for users as they have smart2go maps but a phone will not replace a dedicated PND GPS for the majority of users. They are nice to have rather than must have devices.

Phones are disposable assets (in the UK and many EU countries at least) and few will invest in them as regards software, cradles etc. A PocketPC is a good solution but it's a dying market. I was a heavy PPC user but mine sit in drawers gathering dust now. My smartphone is my PDA and my PND is my GPS as it does the job so much better and more efficiently.
Paul80
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
There is a vast difference between supposed 'large screen' phones such as the n95 et al and a dedicated PDA.

Yes a Vast difference

I can see tomtom running on my N95 in the sun, I cannot see a damned thing on the screen of my 520 when the sun is out.

When are TomTom going to bring out a unit with a decent screen.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul80 wrote:
Darren wrote:

Yes a Vast difference

I can see tomtom running on my N95 in the sun, I cannot see a damned thing on the screen of my 520 when the sun is out.

When are TomTom going to bring out a unit with a decent screen.

Darren did say PDA not PND.

I have an AXIM X51v with a large 640*480 display. very readable in direct sun and I tend to use it without any backlight as the screen is designed to be seen using available light. I still have TTNav6 (V660 maps) on it - but it's rarely used nowadays. I do use MemoryMap and QUO on it from time to time. Not the cheapest PDA out there (actually no longer available!)

My PND (nuvi 660) suffers from screen glare in direct light - but as it is used in the car and mounted below dashboard height, that's not usually a problem. My handheld outdoor GPS (Colorado 300) is, again, designed to be used in all lighting conditions and I tend to have the backlight off for daytime walking. But the cost of the basic unit - with very basic maps - is more than many car based PNDs.

My phone (Nokia 6110) has in-built GPS but the screen is small and requires the backlight to be seen properly. The screen is too small to do any serious navigation - but quite useful for odd things (like finding your way back to the car in a strange city!).

So: to answer your question- it is possible to get a good screen - but the cost to do it would make the device more expensive than competitors - and a lot of people are price-driven - not functionality-driven.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had an issue with the screen on my 720 or 920 in any of the cars I have used it in. It may not work well outdoors in direct sunlight but then it was never designed for that as its primary usage. In car it is perfectly visible in my experience.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: