Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x10 series v x20 series????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x10 series v x20 series????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waveydavey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: x10 series v x20 series???? Reply with quote

Good afternoon all,

I currently have a go300 which i've had for a few years now but just fancied upgrading and maybe letting a friend of mine have my older 300.

I don't use the tomtom every day so rather than paying full whack for a new device i've been looking at used 510's or 520's etc....

Now with regard to the 510 & 520 i wondered what differences there were between the two. I know the obvious one is probably the slimness of the 520 compared to the 510. Other than that is there any real advantage to me paying a bit more for a 520 or should i just get a 510 and save myself a little more cash?

I'm sorry if this is raking up old info agin. Embarassed

Cheers

Dave.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 520 you get the built in FM transmitter, the 510 supports FM transmit (for playing the directions through the car radio) but requires a special mount which are quite a rare item these days.

The 520 also supports mp3 file playback which was only available on the 910 out of the x10 series, so if you want your music played from the device this is a decent option.

I would go for the 520 from the perspective of size if nothing else, it is considerably easy to slip in your pocket and doesn't appear as if you have a cricket ball in there!

There is no hint of version 8 software for the x10 devices as yet, hopefully given time this will come along but the newer the device the likely TomTom will be better positioned to offer upgrades/ mapping releases etc, the x20 Navcore 8 was released recently but has since been withdrawn, at least we know it is in the pipeline - Mike
waveydavey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Mike..... That's just the kind of info i was looking for.... I don't need the mp3 facility as i have an mp3 input in the car and already use my mp3 player through the car head unit.... Also i wouldn't be bothered about having the instructions through the stereo either.

I just wanted to check if there were any differances performance wise etc.... they both have bluetooth handsfree i believe which is good. If they are both roughly the same performance / spec wise other than the mp3 / fm transmitter i may just save some money and get the 510.

Cheers

Dave.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The x20 does have a slightly larger screen, but if you are happy carrying around a cricket ball in your pocket the 510 should serve you quite well, bear in mind the point I made about Navcore 8 though as this could restrict further updates and new map releases - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion the hands free was more reliable on the x10, there are numerous posts on here about handsfree problems with the x20s.

Also, the speaker is better in the x10, the x20 also has a habit of distorting phone calls and instructions if the battery charge drops and you don't have it plugged in.

BUT

you will get the functionality of Navcore 8 sooner on a x20 at a guess.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may not be right but I know the 520 has text to speech ,voice input recognition and has the latest map guarantee .

I do not think the 510 has any of these features so if that is the case it makes it a no brainer in my opinion
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: x10 series v x20 series???? Reply with quote

waveydavey wrote:
I currently have a go300 which i've had for a few years now but just fancied upgrading and maybe letting a friend of mine have my older 300.

If you haven't got a friend, I'm a really nice person and I'd love to go back to a TomTom which is reliable. Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're correct. The mounting system and bulk of the x10's do not sit well when compared with the x20/x30's. Good as they were at the time, the mount was problematic and suffered from 'droop' so the 520 with TTS would get my vote.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clanky active mount on the x10's would be enough to put me off.
520 definitely.
sphelps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
The clanky active mount on the x10's would be enough to put me off.
520 definitely.

Yes but the 910's is an active mount. You don't have to keep plugging in the device before you attach to the windscreen mount as you do with the latest models.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sphelps wrote:
Yes but the 910's is an active mount. You don't have to keep plugging in the device before you attach to the windscreen mount as you do with the latest models.

Which, given our advice is to always remove the mount, not a great advantage.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly my thinking.... Smile
alanwalne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
In my opinion the hands free was more reliable on the x10, there are numerous posts on here about handsfree problems with the x20s.

Also, the speaker is better in the x10, the x20 also has a habit of distorting phone calls and instructions if the battery charge drops and you don't have it plugged in.

BUT

you will get the functionality of Navcore 8 sooner on a x20 at a guess.

to agree with the above:

I have a 710 and my next door neighbour has a 720.

My Hands free works clearly, his does not. If you need the handsfree facility, then I would recommend the x10.

Sorry to confuse things!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: