Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navcore 8 Upgrade for Older Devices Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navcore 8 Upgrade for Older Devices Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
45Richard45
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks mike, the issue was that i couldn't get the custom icons to stick, so i did what you said and delete the files in the root to force a 're-upgrade'. But this is when it got funny, rather than offering me the V8 download it gave me v7 instead. Made a backup of the V7 in case i want to roll back and tried the update again, now allowing me the V8.

Interestingly though the V8 is reported as being a 17mb download, compared with the 10mb of V7, meaning they seem to have put in a fair bit more code into V8, but it doesnt seem at all obvious where this actually is, as the application seems to have no extra content (bar a restructured TomTom Plus menu)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did exactly the same thing, removed the current application and files I had in the root of the device and it first of all offered and installed vs7 the second connection updated and installed vs8.010 (9369).
As for the differences, you now get the custom car icons with the download which work, and the Help Me files have also been added (and altered) - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post has been updated, x20 owners should acquaint themselves with the updated information..
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
First post has been updated, x20 owners should acquaint themselves with the updated information..
OH SHOOOT!! - the updated information that it has been withdrawn for x20 devices.

Well, say what you like, I'm keeping it on my 920T - if nothing else works, at least it now switches on when I press the power button!! That's got to be an improvement.

Aren't TomTom just amazing? How long did this last? 24 hours? And where are we up to? - page 6 already. I haven't even taken mine out for a drive yet!!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job I updated when I did then. They can't take it off again can they???? I realised lane guidance didn't work but don't care very much.

Perhaps when they release it again they'll put the proper compass back, although I don't think I took a lot of notice of it anyway.
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took it that the option was there for when/if you get compatible maps. And it would not have been there otherwise. I'm guessing some people are logging calls to support because it does not work.

I'd assume when the maps come out there will be another upgrade. Hardware wise the x20 and x30 models are pretty much the same I thought, even the FCC ID on the base.

Now I wonder if you could put a v8 map on lane assist etc works? But we cannot get v8 maps yet so obviously we cannot test.
LB-Greg
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated my 720 to V8 last night, all went OK. Then had a go at correcting speed limits (I also noticed that the limit shows 29/39mph in demo mode).

But at least it now switches on without holding the button for 5 sec's Smile

TomTom must have the slackest software releasing process possible. Rolling Eyes
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Navcore 8 Upgrade for Older Devices Released Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
x20 Owners- Please Note:
6 Jun 08: The upgrade package for x20 devices contained the Advanced lane Guidance option in Change preferences. This created the impression that the feature was available when it is not and consequently the x20 version has been withdrawn. An upgrade to Navcore 8 will be made available to x20 users at a later date.

So why withdraw this one when they've left applications with far worse bugs? After all, if you try to select "Show lane images" it just gives a screen telling you your map version isn't compatible. Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Hope you don't mind, Darren. I've passed your cautionary note to a couple of US forums.
davidclack
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never fails to amaze me, how much, we as consumers, are prepared to accept from a company that is making millions of euros selling products that do not work as they should. I upgraded to 7.481 and lived to regret it (I could no longer navigate to a street without a number or to a POI).

I have been using TomTom since version one on a trusty Ipaq which cost over £1100 and no version has ever worked properly, before the next is launched! TomTom are supposedly the number one satnav manufacturer in the world, either the rest are even worse or TomTom are there because we are prepared to spend hundreds of pounds on products that do not work as they should.

We would not accept these problems with a car, a washing machine or even a £20 MP3 player. I think it is unacceptable to have to read through pages of forum posts before upgrading to the latest version of something that does not work.

It would be nice if they got the 5/7/920s to work before we are on to the 5/7/930s, but, hey, that doesn't make more profit
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidclack wrote:
TomTom are supposedly the number one satnav manufacturer in the world

No, that's Garmin:
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/uk/aboutgarmin
davidclack
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accept what you say (just), Garmin get their numbers from Canalys.com. The latest figures they have published are from Q2 2007 which show Garmin with 24.9% and TomTom with 24.3%. Their editorial states that 'Garmin narrowly took the number one spot from TomTom, for the first time in two years.' So it is pretty close!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody say Aaaaaagh for me. I upgraded my ONE 3rd Edition (which now has a new icon in Traffic - Help - which leads to interminable stuff I don't want to read and doesn't have a get out button, so you have to go through the flaming lot!

I upgraded my 920T, so I have the nice start when I press the button.

My 720 was running older App, out of fear of the dreaded 7.481, but taking advice from here, I went to upgrade that one, via 7.481. Got that far, then found the above post from Darren announcing they'd pulled it for x20s. So I'm left with the miserable 7.481. Oh how I sometimes HATE TomTom!! Now it's off to recover to previous version 7.480.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
So I'm left with the miserable 7.481. Oh how I sometimes HATE TomTom!! Now it's off to recover to previous version 7.480.

I think 7,221 is a better bet if you can locate that on the PC - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
DennisN wrote:
So I'm left with the miserable 7.481. Oh how I sometimes HATE TomTom!! Now it's off to recover to previous version 7.480.

I think 7,221 is a better bet if you can locate that on the PC - Mike

Is there any way using Win Explorer to see what version is on which backup, Mike - I have backups for November, December, January and February before I entered myn 720 into the February beta test programme and haven't updated since then. 7.481 is what came from the latest backup I did before doing today's failure. (The map pna file tells me the map versions, is there something similar for App versions, or is it just reload different ones until I get there?)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 6 of 34

Jump to: