Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - S90i
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

S90i
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johntd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: S90i Reply with quote

Do's having the full camera database on the unit cause problems?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sadly, this is stated in the compatibility table on the download page:

xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Database Reply with quote

The Navman included speed camera database is very comprehensive and accurate, directional and speed sensitive. Thats for FIXED cameras though, and their mobile coverage is sparse

I use that and then add PGPSW database Mobile only (its easy to add them alone) and it works very well indeed
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Database Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
The Navman included speed camera database is very comprehensive and accurate, directional and speed sensitive.

Hmmm... in my experience the directional aspect is anything but accurate - at least 50 percent are wrong.

--

Cheers,

Dave
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Areas Reply with quote

Obviously drive in different areas than myself, as I find their static coverage near perfect
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Areas Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Obviously drive in different areas than myself, as I find their static coverage near perfect

Which is like saying, '"my bullet proof leg protectors are perfect" when it's the head/chest shot that will get you!

It's Mobile cameras that will most likely catch you out. Without a mobile database what's the point? And I know you use ours but for others that don't they have invested in a camera database from Navman that is crippled by having no mobiles.

It makes little difference how accurate their fixed coverage is if they don't have mobiles.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Read the posts Reply with quote

Obviously you need both, and their database comes with the unit (fixed are not changed that often, so maybe someone wouldn't need to subscribe to that) and use PGPSW database for the mobiles (chargeable)

If you read the posts I said,

Quote:
The Navman included speed camera database is very comprehensive and accurate, directional and speed sensitive. Thats for FIXED cameras though, and their mobile coverage is sparse

I use that and then add PGPSW database Mobile only (its easy to add them alone) and it works very well indeed

Indeed, it may be more use if your database advise for Navman S Series users was maintain their built-in fixed database (which has SOME mobiles) and use only the PGPSW Mobile database. This works. Very well
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Read the posts Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Indeed, it may be more use if your database advise for Navman S Series users was maintain their built-in fixed database (which has SOME mobiles) and use only the PGPSW Mobile database. This works. Very well

Indeed, I'll add that as an advisory, it'll be interesting to see if Mio fix the POI limit or retain it as a useful tool to ensure customers are forced to choose their camera data.

Not sure about fixed cameras not changing often, I think our Db Admin would beg to differ there!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Cameras Reply with quote

The new mio software has live POIs so I am sure they have at least done some work on that side of things - we will have to wait and see. They've improved multi-point routing too in the forthcoming edition. I don't think the limit is imposed to sell their camera database (though it does that by default), it simply poor implementation of their custom POI system
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller, what's happened to your avtar?

Just a quick note to say I have amended our compatibility table:

xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Avatar Reply with quote

Don't know, been like it for a while. Fixed now though, thanks Darren
PaulRS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's Mobile cameras that will most likely catch you out. Without a mobile database what's the point? And I know you use ours but for others that don't they have invested in a camera database from Navman that is crippled by having no mobiles.

Yes, very annoying if you've taken a subscription out. I have emailed Navman with the following.

Quote:
I have a three year subscription for Speed Camera updates but these are incomplete in that there are no Mobile Camera locations. The category does exist but is empty.

Can you explain:-

1) Why this is
2) When this will be provided
3) What refund/ subscription extension will you be providing to mitigate this.

Many thanks

Paul
57squadron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulRS wrote:
Quote:

Yes, very annoying if you've taken a subscription out. I have emailed Navman with the following.

Quote:
I have a three year subscription for Speed Camera updates but these are incomplete in that there are no Mobile Camera locations. The category does exist but is empty.

Can you explain:-

1) Why this is
2) When this will be provided
3) What refund/ subscription extension will you be providing to mitigate this.

Many thanks

Paul
Any response yet ?
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Roadpilot Reply with quote

Navman have recently updated their speedcamera website graphic to diusplay the Roadpilot name, which offers daily updates for their dedicated units, so maybe a change is afoot

In the meantime however, if you want regular updates the PGPSW database is the way to go

I subscribe to both, but would be happier to have regular Navman updates and they are hassle free (ie. no effort involved except connecting my S90 to the computer), where as the PGPSW being a generic database does involve considerable time, if relatively straightforward

However, Navman seem still only able to update their database about once every 2 months which simply isn't good enough considering the price you pay
PaulRS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

57squadron - I have had one response so far which simply asked if I had applied the latest speed camera updates. I replied that I had but have no further response. I will be chasing this in the next couple of days and will post the response.

xtraseller - My original intention was to use the PGPSW database. Unfortunately I didn't research it far enough and it was only after purchasing the unit that I found out about the 12,000 POI limit which, as far as I'm concerned, makes it unusable. Had I known about the limit in advance I would have bought a Michelin instead as their routing algorithms are way ahead of TomTom and Navman. I guess I was saved from buying from a manufacturer that was getting out of the GPS market.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: