Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New window mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New window mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PAULBROM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: New window mount Reply with quote

Can anyone recomend a new window mount for the TT 510 the genuine one wouldn't hold the unit up when the sun was shining,then it snapped behind the suction cup.
So any advice on replacement would be greatful
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just the sun, they are even worse on a cold winter screen.
If you had an accident the Sat Nav would be looking for somewhere to land, not good for you or your passengers.

Try the Brodit Mount

The Brodit mount bracket fixes to the dashboard fascia rather than on the top of the dash.

You can easily take the unit with you when leaving the vehicle. The holders can be adjusted in order to avoid light reflection on the screen.

When i first used it i found it strange at a lower position, but it not only keeps your screen visible, it can't be seen so easily by thieves.
Once you get used to it's position, i now find it easier to touch and view, so easier to use.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure Brodit ever offered an x10 mount because of the peculiarities fo that models mount design.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to contact TomTom support as this might be still covered by the two year waranty, 0845 161 0009 and see what they can offer, they did exchange quite a few mounts in the days of the x10 products so they are aware of droopy mounts etc.

The only Brodit solutions were home made affairs which combined the TomTom connector with other parts, AFAIK there were no third party solutions to this problem - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAM-Mounts had an alternative although I'm not sure where the original mount fits in and I just found this whilst searching?
PAULBROM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help lads Very Happy
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I think you need to contact TomTom support as this might be still covered by the two year waranty, 0845 161 0009 and see what they can offer, they did exchange quite a few mounts in the days of the x10 products so they are aware of droopy mounts etc.

The only Brodit solutions were home made affairs which combined the TomTom connector with other parts, AFAIK there were no third party solutions to this problem - Mike

I queried the warranty period on the Tomtom 520 with tomtom support there answer is below

Quote:
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

The device is covered for 2 years. The accessories like the mount and charger are covered for 1 year.

With Best Regards

whether the warranty period changed between the Tomtom 510 and the Tomtom 520 I do not know
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
whether the warranty period changed between the Tomtom 510 and the Tomtom 520 I do not know

The Limited Warranty document in the Licences folder on my 720 states it's for one year only:
Quote:
"WHAT THIS WARRANTY COVERS
1) TomTom International B.V. (“TomTom”) warrants to you that the Hardware will be free from defects in workmanship and materials under normal use (“Defects”) for a period of one (1) year from the date that the Hardware was first purchased by you (“Warranty Period”). During the Warranty Period the Hardware will be repaired or replaced at TomTom’s choice (“Limited Warranty”) without charge to you for either parts or labour. This Limited Warranty covers the replacement of the Hardware only"

Samsung Galaxy S21
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
john877 wrote:

The Limited Warranty document in the Licences folder on my 720 states it's for one year only:
Quote:
"WHAT THIS WARRANTY COVERS
1) TomTom International B.V. (“TomTom”) warrants to you that the Hardware will be free from defects in workmanship and materials under normal use (“Defects”) for a period of one (1) year from the date that the Hardware was first purchased by you (“Warranty Period”). During the Warranty Period the Hardware will be repaired or replaced at TomTom’s choice (“Limited Warranty”) without charge to you for either parts or labour. This Limited Warranty covers the replacement of the Hardware only"

Yes I take your point but that is what Tomtom support said to me by email also John Lewis states that a 2 year warranty

This has been discussed on a previous thread
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=64837&highlight=
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x10 devices, original One and One XL state 2 years in the license files on the device, the newer units, x20, x30 One Third Edition state one year so it looks like they have reduced the duration of the warranty, if in doubt check the licenses folder on the device and open the relevant document for your region.
If the retailer offer an extended warranty over and above that offered by the manufacturer then any issue would have to be taken up with the retailer - Mike
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'm not sure Brodit ever offered an x10 mount because of the peculiarities fo that models mount design.

Embarassed Sorry your right, I can remember them telling me that they did mounts for all Sat Navs so i went on that instead of checking.

PAULBROM - I rang them today and they said they couldn't make a mount for the TT 510 model as the electrics clip was large and heavy.

It was suggested that many owners were getting around this by buying a Brodit mount and then glue or screw a round perspex disc to it, then fix the existing suction cap to that.

The advantage is that it will remove the need to stick to the glass (hot & cold problems), in an accident the unit will be safer as it is lower and you can conceal all your cables.

I hope that helps.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is, the issue with the x10 was the mount itself which couldn't support the device without drooping so that solution wouldn't really help and in this case, the OP's has broken anyway. One of the solutions I linked to above gives an alternative mount to the original supplied.

Another possibility which I used was to cannibalise an existing 910 mount and use parts from a RAM Mount to make a hybrid retaining the electronics module but adding a RAM suction base. And another option is to use the desk mount, I know at least one of our team used this and screwed it to a bracket.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: