Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ? re 660FM
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

? re 660FM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trapper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: ? re 660FM Reply with quote

Went to Halfords today and looked at a Garmin Nuvi 660FM and I think a 770, these have a lifetime subscription to traffic reports so would work out much cheaper than paying Orange £5 week for GPRS and buying a TT or similar that needs a phone connection to receive traffic reports, assuming the Garmin system is the same?

I had a quick look at the specs of each and one thing puzzled me, the 770 had 10 'Routes' but the 660 had none, I know what a route is, the journey between A & B but in this instance does it mean you can travel and memorize up to 10 journey's

Any other good or bad points with either of the above? It seems these are okay for walking routes as well.

Thanks in advance
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Traffic option would be cheaper as the FM Traffic is included in the cost of the unit, however the reception isn't great in the UK. You might want to look at some other threads on TMC in here. The data is the same as the GPRS method.

The 7xx series can store upto 10 prepared routes but previous models can't.

For a comparison see this table
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ? re 660FM Reply with quote

trapper wrote:
in this instance does it mean you can travel and memorize up to 10 journey's

Also, the '10' refers to 10 routes ready for immediate use. You can store any number of .gpx files on the unit, eaching containing pre-defined routes. These can be imported, as and when required - but you have to delete some of the currently imported ones, so that the number of Active routes doesn't exceed 10.
trapper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
Quote:
The Traffic option would be cheaper as the FM Traffic is included in the cost of the unit, however the reception isn't great in the UK. You might want to look at some other threads on TMC in here. The data is the same as the GPRS method.

Had a quick search on the web, it seems there are a few versions of 660
a 660, a 660T, a 660FM and a 660TFM as listed on Amazon and others. Garmin only list one, the 660FM.

Can you advise if they are in fact all the same Exclamation Confused

I do not think I need the additional functions of the 7xx series, I know TMC is a bit hit and miss as I found out on my BMW, I would hate to find I was paying extra to Orange on top and still could not get it though, like rubbing salt in a wound Crying or Very sad At least its a bonus when it does work Smile

One small point, I guess it displays current speed in MPH but is it obvious Question I ask this as my car has 30/50/70 in tiny digits and it would be really handy to have your speed easily visable, too many yellow boxes on poles around here Sad
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
660, a 660T, a 660FM and a 660TFM

Most likely the same model but different sites change the model designation as they see fit. Only ever seen a 660FM myself...

Quote:
One small point, I guess it displays current speed in MPH but is it obvious I ask this as my car has 30/50/70 in tiny digits and it would be really handy to have your speed easily visible, too many yellow boxes on poles around here

Yes it displays it in MPH (or KPH if you wish) but it's not that big, and isn't visible when you have a route selected. Page 7 of the 660FM User Manual here 1.8 Mb PDF shows the normal view when following a route and the Trip Information Page, which features a bigger speedo.

However you could also subscribe to the PGPSW Speed Camera Database to help you spot those "boxes on poles "
trapper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul.

I will check out the manual at work so I can print it out (Much cheaper that way Very Happy )

I have been a subscriber to the PGPSW Speed Camera Database since it was first charged and used it before when it was free, my subscription is still valid and renewed each year.

I find if I can see my speed I tend to stay nearer to the limit than if I cannot see it, my wifes Mini has digits about an inch (25mm) high and I find I am keeping to near legal speeds Exclamation
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a 660 (I have one) which has traffic (GTM21) but no FM. I think the official GARMIN models were 660 and 660FM as traffic was/is include in them both. The 660 (both models) can be regarded as being superceded by the 7xx models
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There was a 660 (I have one) which has traffic (GTM21) but no FM

Ah, does the FM refer to the FM Transmitter and not the FM Traffic?
captureboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FM does refer to the in built FM transmitter.
GPS SW Version 3.00
Bluetooth SW Version 3.40
GTM SW Version 4.80
Map Info CN Europe NT 2010.30

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: