Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 520 + 'Plus' Traffic setup
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

520 + 'Plus' Traffic setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtarling
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: 520 + 'Plus' Traffic setup Reply with quote

I have a month's free trial from TomTom for their 'Plus' traffic service and am having the devil's own job trying to get it to work with my phone! It's a Motorola V3 on an O2 contract, WAP is all set up on the phone and it works. The 520 is also setup and paired OK with the phone. Now, when I come to setup traffic services, the automatic setup fails and then asks if I want to do it manually. I've put in all the correct settings - user name, password, IP address, but then the 520 wants to know what string to dial and I have NO idea at all what this should be. After asking for the dial string, it then asks for the login script - again, I have no idea what this should be! Can anyone please point me in the right direction to where I may be able to find out what these two items should be? Thanks!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need GPRS activating not WAP to work with the TomTom server, please contact O2 and request the GPRS to be activated and then try it again, they will send a text message to your phone which will configure the required parts for GPRS - Mike
gtarling
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - thanks. Have called O2 and they assure me that I do have GPRS enabled on my account. I downloaded a message, ran that and now the phone says 'GPRS' on the main screen, so I'm assuming it's connected and working. Same problem with the Tomtom though. Sad
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be sure that you have GPRS, hold down the 0 key on the phone for a few seconds until the GPRS page loads, you should also get a G in the screen of your phone (maybe even an E if you are in EDGE coverage and your phone is EDGE compliant).

Then, on the TT support web site there is a list of settings for all the operators that you can enter manually.

These may be the same as what the 520 has in its memory but you never know.

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&query=o2&FID=3326

I have had issues with 520 and my 6233, but it seems that it would work create the connection sometimes but not always, it seems to be a SW issue in the TT. Several resets and kicks later it gave in and worked automatically.

Steve
gtarling
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve - thanks for the help. Holding down the '0' on the phone only brings up the dialling window with a + in it - nothing else seems to happen. When the 520 tries to access the phone for the setup, the phone then says 'Tomtom520 disconnected' - what's that about? I'll try the manual setting as per the page you pointed out on Tomtom support now.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtarling wrote:
Steve - thanks for the help. Holding down the '0' on the phone only brings up the dialling window with a + in it - nothing else seems to happen. When the 520 tries to access the phone for the setup, the phone then says 'Tomtom520 disconnected' - what's that about? I'll try the manual setting as per the page you pointed out on Tomtom support now.

maybe been a Moto, your phone doesnt activate GPRS with the 0 key held down, sorry, I thought most phones did.

My TT disconnects from phone several times while setting up the Wireless data for the first time.

I bet you have had the same probs as me, couldnt get the WD working for ages but after a few kicks and swear words it gave in (and then the voice recognition stopped working, Laughing Out Loud).

Stick a pin in the tom toms arse (reset) and delete any pairings from the phone and start again, see if that helps. Thats what I did.

Steve
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pairing of a phone easily and swiftly seems very dependant on the phone. I know I'm stating the obvous there following posts on this site but I recently moved from Navigator 6 on a PDA with a PAYG card to a Tom Tom 720 hoping to get it to update traffic through my Blackberry reducing the number of devices and payments to make.

Turns out the BBerry will NEVER do it so gave up on that. Tried to pair with the PDA phone using the same SIM but no go. Lots of fiddling about etc.

So I just made a pile of my old phones and worked my way through them swapping the PAYG sim until one worked straight off.

I now have an old Nokia 6230i on a ciggie lighter socket buried in my boot which does the traffic updates etc.

The good thing with my 720 is that when I need to buy more credit it will let me read and reply to the text message meaning I never have to go near the buried phone.

For what it's worth I use an Orange PAYG sim with no tweaks or strings or messing about. It seems if you arrive at the point of fiddling to get it to work you might be on a road to nowhere. Or at least that's my experience.
Holux GPSslim
gtarling
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The puzzle deepens! I have checked with my mobile phone provider (O2)and they assure me that GPRS is fully enabled on my account. My Motorola V3 will access the internet, no problem. I tried a friend's Nokia 6230i which already has GPRS enabled - Tomtom setup still failed. I then tried the SIM from my V3 in my friend's Nokia and when the Tomtom tries to go through the setup, the phone pops up a message to say that I need to subscribe to GPRS! It seems to me that the whole process of this traffic setup needs a good looking at by Tomtom - this was one of the reasons I bought a Tomtom rather than another make!
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add some counterpoint to this thread...

My phone is a Nokia E51with a Vodafone PAYG SIM. The phone has a wizard to configure GPRS for various networks, but it failed miserably with my SIM.

I was playing with my TT730T looking for a menu to configure the TMC traffic, and without me realising it, the 730 had configured my phone for working GPRS and had activated my 30 day GPRS data trial, which was rather annoying, because I was saving it until my holidays later in the year...
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a few issues with my 520 in the last week or so since buying it.

One of them was the connection to my Nokia 6233. It would connect for handsfree and phonebook but stop at 65% for the wireless data. It would then ask me to set up manual or from a list.

It would do this several times.

I rolled back the SW to 7.221 from Oldboys site and the wireless data worked fine but the voice recognition failed, grrrrrrrrrr.

So, I am getting at the point that its possible a SW glitch in the TT so try and restore an old backup (backing up what you have at this moment first) and then if that fails to work then just throw it out the window...... wont fix it, but will make you feel better.

Steve
gtarling
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguar - Just goes to show that it can work, if just not when you want it to!

Steve - Thanks - I was beginning to wonder if this was a Tomtom issue - where can I find that 'oldboys' site with the older firmware? It's got to be worth a try!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: