Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Accident black spot POI???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Accident black spot POI???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Accident black spot POI??? Reply with quote

Can anyone let me if there is a 'UK accident black spot' POI available to download?...

Oh yes, if there is.... where?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, no.
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly, all safety cameras are placed at accident blackspots, or so the governement tells us, so the Pocket GPS Safety Camera database should do the job.

The only problem is 24 of those cameras are on 50 of the UK's safest roads and only 18 cameras are in position on the UK's 49 most dangerous roads. The first, second and 4th most dangerous stretches of UK roads have no cameras at all! I find that strange Rolling Eyes

I think a blackspot overlay would be extremely useful, especially if the conditions are poor
Carll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilko wrote:
Supposedly, all safety cameras are placed at accident blackspots, or so the governement tells us...

I laughed so much the wife thought I was having a fit!
Seriously though, an accident blackspot database is probably a better idea than the speed camera database (that I use).

Guys, (and ladies) how about it?
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Road Angel has alerts for accident blackspots.........

......But I always delete them if I ever get alerted, as it's really annoying to be driving along a clear straight road, and have these very annoying blackspot alerts all the time. I just don't see any point in it, apart from scaring the out of me when the alert goes off.

There is a feature that prevents these blackspots being downloaded to the Road Angel now thank goodness :D
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a feature on the newer versions which mute the blackspots, keeping the flashing alert.
timtim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilko wrote:

I think a blackspot overlay would be extremely useful, especially if the conditions are poor

Hate to be a kill-joy, but if conditions are that bad, perhaps you should be driving slower and concentrating on the road, not relying on a beep to warn you. (just my opinion) CoPilot
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to a point, but you dont always know whats round the next corner, i'm a careful driver and in my 6 years of driving, covering about 170,000 miles, I've never been involved in an accident.

When it comes to safety, the more information you have availaiable, the better.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of roadsigns are now appearing at accident blackspots showing death/injury information on the stretch of road.

If you can't read a roadsign then perhaps you shouldn't be driving at all on any public road. Mr. Green

If you can't tell a dangerous road from a safe one, then perhaps it is time to retake the driving test Confused
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi technik

technik wrote:
A lot of roadsigns are now appearing at accident blackspots showing death/injury information on the stretch of road.

It’s kind of the local authorities to put up these accident black-spot signs, which I do take notice of, but I do tend to think that it’s a cop-out of poor road design/markings. Yes a lot of the problem is probably caused by inappropriate actions of drivers, but if there are similar accidents on a stretch of road then I do think that it’s a failure of road design/markings.

[political rant]
When you think of the amount of tax we pay as motorists in the UK then we should have much better and safer roads than what we have.
[/political rant] Twisted Evil

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
timtim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Wilko"]Yes to a point, but you dont always know whats round the next corner

Don't want to the the one always stating the obvious (but someone has to be devil's advocate): If you don't know what's round the corner, slow down. To paraphrase Roadcraft, you should always be able to stop within the distance you can see to be clear.

It's not really Tom Tom, I know, but an interesting discussion nonetheless
MickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post reminds me of a live broadcast I saw a couple of years ago of a multiple pile-up on one of the UK's major motorways. The reporter described the foggy conditions that the crash had occured in: 20 feet visibilty, and then cut to an interview with a woman who had been involved in the crash. She claimed that as she was driving at 70 mph, she was not actually speeding and then complained that if the motorway 'fog' warning signs had been illuminated, she would have slowed down! Happy
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing that!!

Made me laugh, with fog that thick she probably wouldnt have seen the illuminated fog signs anyway!

I'm not argueing the point that a blackspot POI should be relied upon, it shouldn't, I only pointed out that I think it would be useful. Nothing should be relied upon other than your own driving experience and common sense.

A lot of drivers out there seem to be missing a lot of common sense unfortunately. Maybe accident blackspots wouldnt exist if driving exams were harder and everybody stuck to the highway code. I've seen some absolutely attrocious driving on the roads.

I remember once watching a police camera action video, and a police officer quite rightly pulled over a woman who was just driving in the middle lane of the motorway. The police officer asked her why she was stuck in the middle lane, and she replied that she wasn't coming off until the next junction!!! That really stuck in my head because to me it sums up the standards and the lack of knowledge of a lot of British drivers.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunaly it happens all to often infact every day to me and im limited to 56

there seams to be serious lack of road sense and knowledge of the highway code about recently
ie car tow caravan 70mph + lane 3 m6 south fully loaded complete with kids and child on borad sticker in the rear window 8O 8O
last year whilst on the A34 i stuck in traffic jam a 4x4 driver lost control coming down one of the hills and fillped it over the crah barrier and impacted the rear of 45 foot trailer travelling south cant remember if it a fatal from reports i heard it was ill never forget the scene of what was left of the caravan basiclly nothing but a chassis.....

this isnt dig at caravaners just what i happen to see daily and yes the irsh trucks and dutch trucks doing 60+ gets on my nerves as well Thumbs Up

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: