Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocket PC with inbuilt Sat Nav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket PC with inbuilt Sat Nav
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hayleypink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Pocket PC with inbuilt Sat Nav Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I have had my NavMan Pin570 since it came out years ago....and they dont seem to have made a new model!

I love it but am bored with it! Anyone know any good Pocket PC with built in Sat Nav that is more stylish maybe?!

Just want a Pocket PC with Mobile Office and a Sat Nav.....

Any ideas?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this have to be a pure PDA or would you consider a PDA based mobile phone? - If so have a look at the range by HTC, the Artemis, Touch Cruise, Tytn-II all have built in GPS. You will need the navigation software as well, the above phones can often be obtained through the major phone networks such as the O2 XDA Orbit-2 (Touch Cruise), T-Mobile MDA Compact-III (Artemis less WiFi) etc - Mike
hayleypink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Thanks for the reply.

Yes has to be PDA as I have got a lovely mobile phone (LG Viewty) which I want and have to stick with on an 18 month contract.

So i open up this question again: Anyone know of a PDA with Sat Nav?

Thanks!
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hayleypink

You could try one of these
http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/handheld/GPS/1/storefronts/FA811AA%2523ABA

theripper
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peronally I am still more than happy with my Mio 168 after 2-3 yrs, I am going to be devastated when it finally packs up, It runs everything including videos, the contacts integration is good, built in GPS receiver, Proc speed adequate,sounds good,widescreen at the touch of button for anything makes speadsheets usefull on a PDA, if tomtom dont update to v7 then I will change to Copilot or Igo, only way up I can see is the Mio p350, so keeping my eye open for a reasonable socond hand.
hayleypink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

Thanks - the HP does look lovely doesnt it - but at over £300 its a lot just for the look Smile

Never heard of Mio before - have had a look and actually the older one loosk better as the P350 doesnt come with Maps - so I presume you'd have to pay for the Tom Tom or tghe like software.
hayleypink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also found thisL HP iPAQ 314 Travel Companion
Doesnt have Wifi (but that doesnt really matter) but not sure if it can sych with OUtlook for my diary?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the P350 doesnt come with Maps

As far as am aware they were available with or without, the 168 certainly was, and for me that is an advantage because you can use software of your choice incl os maps, which in view of tomtoms move away is a good thing.
hayleypink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well its says you can install TomTom but I guess you have to pay for that software? Maybe I am wrong.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I dont know of anybody that offers a barebones system and then gives free software, the only benefit is that it gives you choice.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a Google search for PDA & SAT NAV it comes back with lots of different leads, such as these:

(all open in a new window)

First

Second

Third

Lots of makes available, even think Acer may do one as well.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the Mio p360 has superceded the p350 at approx £184 incl it seems good value, that doesnt include the satnav software
hayleypink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I would stick with one that came with Sat Nav software in built like I have with the Navman currently. Thanks for the links but they are all phones, which I dont want.
Think I may just save up for the HP Travel Companion Smile
Have a nice weekend everyone. x
Eddiejen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have just purchased an ASUS A696 PDA.
I looked at a Mio P560 but because of the 2.5mm headphone socket decided to go for the ASUS.

The reviews are generally favourable and it seems to have good battery life which is important. I also purchased it with Copilot 7 for around £286
akribie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with a Mio 168 with SIRF II. OK, but fixing accuracy far from wonderful under tree cover.

Then I got a Mio A201 with SIRF III. Excellent all round, except that the fold-out GPS aerial mechanism broke internally and now it flops around. I also was out of RAM to store place names with MM2004 (which have to be in the program folder).

So, with a deep breath, I've just got a Mio P560. Excellent device. It seems to have somewhat better capture and track than the A201 and has the GPS aerial internally so no sticking-out bit to cause problems. And you can download an Ephemeris file for 3 days ahead via the web (USB link to my PC) to reduce ttff. I generally stick it in a leg pocket in a Krussel case and it track just fine both when walking and in the car. Battery life seems to be much better than the A201, the processor is faster and it shows, and there is the hidden (in the literature) bonus of a 512mb internal flash disk as well as an SDHC card slot. Only downside is the huge paddle buttons, of which there are only two and which are far too easy to operate inadvertently when handling the device. I much preferred the 5-button flexibility of the A201, but overall I am more than pleased that I took the plunge.

So my vote for a PDA/GPS would be the P560 or, if you don't need Bluetooth/WiFi, the P360. Big spread of prices, so worth using Froogle or whatever to hunt the bargains.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: