Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Service Pack 2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Pack 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexpj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Navman Reply with quote

I am soo desperate to like the S90i, so I don't think that I've wasted my money, and it keeps disappointing me. First outing with the SP2 today - no crash - but the speed cameras were all alerts at 85MPH. Getting close to a full restore as you advised a while back; but the unit seems more responsive and the U-turn thing is much better.

Doesn't look like the card is going to be worth getting unless I bulk buy for other (of my) customers.

What does everyone else have the routing settings set to? One to the right of centre on the fastest/shortest and one to the left of centre on the motorways one seems the best compromise for non-SP and SP1. I do a fair bit of driving in and out of London from Herts, Beds and Bucks and also down to Devon via A303 or M5.

Looking forward to the new maps, and hope that the crashing - which meant that the bluetooth had to be reset a few times a day until I gave up and now stop the car - is gone. I won't buy the new maps until I can be certain that it's not more money down the drain.

It's a shame to see them lagging behind TomTom, the true road speed monitoring (IQ routes they call it) used for routing would seem a great idea. I soo hope the maps and new software make it the machine it should have been in the first place.

Kinda silly question, as the thing crashes(/ed?) a lot I'd like to volunteer to be a beta tester for the new software as it can't be any worse. How would I go about it?
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Navman Reply with quote

alexpj wrote:
I am soo desperate to like the S90i, so I don't think that I've wasted my money, and it keeps disappointing me.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean and it made ownership of the S90i all the more frustrating. Underneath it has a diamond heart... but in the body of Frankenstein's monster. It's nots bugs as such that bother me, although there are some awfully big and obvious ones - that, nine months on, have yet to be fixed - and I mean the actual operation of the unit, not mapping problems). For me the real problems lie with poorly thought through ergonomics. I could have accepted its faults and shortcomings had NavMan been bothered to sort them out with these Service Packs. NavMan accept feedback via their website but when they didn't even bother to acknowledge my polite but firm observations, I realised that there was a huge gulf between their idea of customer support and mine. I have to confess surprise that they have issued SP2 (though, as with SP1, it sounds like it has introduced a new problem) and if the crashing issue has been sorted, then great... but for me it's way too little, too late. Their communications in terms of issuing the Service Packs are woefully (deliberately?) vague and/or misleading - apparently SP2 addresses some "minor bug fixes" - but nobody seems to have witnessed any such thing.

alexpj wrote:

I'd like to volunteer to be a beta tester for the new software as it can't be any worse. How would I go about it?

Try contacting them via their website but, in all seriousness, the experience of the S90i leads me to suspect they simply don't concern themselves with beta testing - or at least to act upon feedback from it.

--

Cheers

Dave
alexpj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Navman Reply with quote

DaveMatthews wrote:
Their communications in terms of issuing the Service Packs are woefully (deliberately?) vague and/or misleading - apparently SP2 addresses some "minor bug fixes" - but nobody seems to have witnessed any such thing.

Hmmm. I've had helpful and speedy e-mail messages from them, but like you said the SP doc's are a bit woeful. Is it me or do SP1 and SP2 have the same file name?! What is that about removing and restoring the voices!

DaveMatthews wrote:
Try contacting them via their website but, in all seriousness, the experience of the S90i leads me to suspect they simply don't concern themselves with beta testing - or at least to act upon feedback from it.

I wrote to them when I wrote here, I had a feeling our peer had a inside line! Just had a response - which is a very quick turnaround. All beta testing is done internally currently (I can pretty much guess what everyone's reaction to that will be :-) ) but they have passed my details on to that department. How could the programmer, let alone testing, miss the keyboard layout glitch! I hope that they take me up on my offer - and suggest everyone here having huge problems offers to do the same. (with apologies) you have nothing to lose but your bugs.

kind regards
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Navman Reply with quote

alexpj wrote:

How could the programmer, let alone testing, miss the keyboard layout glitch!

In fact any professional IT department recognises that the one group of people who should NOT carry out formal final testing is the original programmers. They're too "close" to the product to see the bigger problems - and possibly too "precious" about it to admit there is a problem. (I am a programmer myself and have been guilty of both of these things!). Which may explain why NavMan have never formally accepted that the units suffer regular crashes for many people.

You need a group of people who have experience of using SatNav systems in general but are totally inexperienced with the particular product they are testing. This will quickly highlight any usability/ergonomic issues (which is my biggest gripe against the S-series) and bugs. Oftentimes bugs only come to light when a user tries a particular combination of actions or keypresses that the programmer hadn't anticipated. In the case of the crashing problem, this would seem to be caused by the amount of POI categories selected and/or the use of custom POIs - something which the programmers neither expected nor "destruction tested".

All of the issues I have raised in earlier posts would have been spotted very quickly had this approach been taken. The fact that NavMan have failed to rectify any of these issues means they have continued to put distance between themselves and their paying customers. From a purely personal perspective, if Navigon's new 8110 is as good as it appears to be, I'll happily jump ship and won't give a monkeys if NavMan do actually get round to fixing the S-series as my S90i will have been consigned to the dustbin. If NavMan expect customer loyalty, they need to reciprocate - and FAST!

--

Cheers,

Dave
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: All the same Reply with quote

Problem is Dave, is they are all the same... I have a Navigon 7110 which is in the same position as you propose your S90i will be. And Navigon didnt care! And its taken them 12 months to offer an update (Navman where much quicker, and it is still on going)

Having said that tempted (again!!!) by the 8110

So while your s90i may not be perfect, nothing is!
snowwolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: SD card Reply with quote

I have had a 2 gb card in my S90 for 3 months, but as yet not found a use for it, am I missing something? what gets stored onto the card?
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: NavPix Reply with quote

Your NavPix photos, which I use quite a lot of the time, also addiitonal mapping regions (ie. USA, Austrilia, etc. if needed)
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the above, the 2GB SD card is also used for the keeping of the Phone Contacts for Bluetooth operation.

Best Regards,
Denis Green
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: All the same Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Problem is Dave, is they are all the same... I have a Navigon 7110 which is in the same position as you propose your S90i will be. And Navigon didnt care!

Oh, indeed - it was the same with Navigon's Mobile Navigator 5 and 6 (which both preceded the 7100/7110) - which is precisely why I haven't jumped into buying the 8110 just yet.

xtraseller wrote:

And its taken them 12 months to offer an update (Navman where much quicker, and it is still on going)

But Navman's Service Pack 1 for the S-series was an utter dud (indeed ISTR you referred to it as a "backward step") and, as I have said previously, SP2 doesn't provide any fixes for me. So, in the span of eight months, NavMan have yet to provde any resolutions for the problems I am experiencing.

xtraseller wrote:

So while your s90i may not be perfect, nothing is!

The difference, however, was in terms of (well-implemented) features and slickness-of-use, Navigon's software was far closer to perfection than NavMan's. All things considered, Navigon are still well ahead on points, in my view.

--

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited by DaveMatthews on Sun May 18, 2008 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Proz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abbz wrote:
just an update, i spoke to navman technical about the constant crashing problems since i upgraded to sp2 and they told me to do a complete restore.
they sent me the instructions on how to do it via email and i have to admit since i have done it the machine is performing much faster and as of yet hasnt crashed once. i know its early days yet and no doubt the machine will crash but have to say there is definately an improvement on how quicker the machine responds to when u tap on an item. fingers crossed!!

Hi there ... how do i do a full reset on my device .... sp2 seems to have made mine worse ... thanks
abbz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm sent proz
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abbz wrote:
pm sent proz

Abbz, please would you consider posting this publicly - there could well be many people suffering the same problem.

--

Cheers

Dave
Proz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abbz wrote:
pm sent proz

Thanks ...ive pm'd my email ... Cheers
abbz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to uninstall the software and/or the maps on a S series ?

To uninstall the software on an S series:
1-Click on My computer - Removable disk - Program Files and delete the Navman folder.
2-Do a hard reset of the device :
Press and hold the power button until the device switches off.
Press and hold the power button during 5 seconds then release it, the device will switch on.

3-Run the Navdesk software and click on tools - reinstall software on your Navman.

4Follow the installation process,

5-You will need to reinstall the voice files. Select your language or click on TTS voice files (exept S30) and Normal voice files to reinstall all the sounds.

6Click on Tools - Recover Keys. (if an error message appears, close and reopen the Navdesk software.)

To uninstall the maps (and the POIs..) :

1Click on My computer - Removable disk and delete the Navman folder.
2-Do a hard reset of the device :
Press and hold the power button until the device switches off.
Press and hold the power button during 5 seconds then release it, the device will switch on.

3-Insert the Navman DVD in your computer and open the Navdesk software.

4Click on My maps. The countries in dark yellow are the countries you had the activation keys for. Select the countries you wish to install then click on Install maps. Click on transfer now. If the software ask for a Map Key : Click on Tools - Recover Keys. (if an error message appears, close and reopen the Navdesk software.)

5Wait during the transfer - disconnect the Navman.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: