Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TomTom provides you with the latest map pre-installed on your new device. On top of that, if a newer map is available within 30 days from when you start using your device, you are entitled to one free map download.

1) If a map is available to download the very day you buy it, that would suggest to me that TomTom have NOT provided the latest maps pre-installed

2) A further map update has become available within 30 days of the previous download

Are TomTom implying that their map updates are going to be more than monthly, so update releases are never going to be more than 30 days apart? I doubt it!!

If it were me, I would strongly argue point one above, because, in my opinion, they have mis-sold this product and your map guarantee should allow you to download the latest release
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will raise this with TT support - of course it is the weekend then the Monday holiday by which time my 30 days will be over anyway. Morally I think they are in the wrong and possibly legally as well because of the poorly written terms.
Hopefully they will do the right thing.

I'm a long term TT customer, bought many map updates until my previous PDA could no longer be upgraded and feel more than slightly aggrieved by this.
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I have put your exact point to TomTom - thanks for the concise reasoning.
CrispyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Quote:
TomTom provides you with the latest map pre-installed on your new device. On top of that, if a newer map is available within 30 days from when you start using your device, you are entitled to one free map download.

1) If a map is available to download the very day you buy it, that would suggest to me that TomTom have NOT provided the latest maps pre-installed

I imagine the latest maps are installed on devices as they are manufactured but depending where and when you buy, the device could have been sat in a warehouse for months, in which time newer maps may well have been released. This is exactly what Latest Map Guarantee is designed for.

You either go for the instant gratification and get the latest maps when you first plug in, or you hang on for 29 days and see if anything newer comes out before using the LMG. To be fair TomTom don't really need to offer the 30 days, they could simply do it so the newest maps are added to your account the first time you connect - bringing your device up to a 'just-manufactured' standard (at least in terms of software).

The 30 days is sortof a bonus.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrispyUK wrote:
To be fair TomTom don't really need to offer the 30 days

True!

...but they're saying that the latest maps are pre-installed, which obviously isn't always the case and they ought to make allowances for their own marketing blurb.

They're kind of shooting themselves in the foot, but if a customer buys a unit from a retailer with a high stock turnover and has the latest maps pre-installed and another customer (on the same day) buys the same model from a retailer with a lower stock turnover and older maps pre-installed, is it fair that one of those customers already has the latest maps whilst the other has to use their latest map guarantee when TomTom are marketing these two units both with the understanding that the latest maps are installed on both units.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:

...but they're saying that the latest maps are pre-installed, which obviously isn't always the case and they ought to make allowances for their own marketing blurb.

It's all semantics, but I can see what they are trying to say there....
They are using "pre-installed" as a verb: At the exact moment when they are being pre-installed, they ARE the latest.
And the latest map guarantee is to get them to the point that you think it should mean... the latest at the moment of purchase.
gduvl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To allay fears ref the 30srs and Map of Western and Central Europe debarcle, I can confirm that the server is now working as I have just been upgraded via Tomtom Home 30day guarentee to map v8.05. (Unit is TT730T)
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite assurances from TomTom , the server says my 30 days are up.

Update: They have requested a copy of my sales invoice and C No. of my unit and are going to arrange the LMG download for me. I have sent it via their ticketing web system, so will wait and see.

Promising ... Smile
Drudeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Sucessful LMG update Reply with quote

Didn't work yesterday, but just tried today and it worked and installed v720.1803 on my 520. Perfect timing really as my 720 is 27 days old.

Nice to see the A1 Blyth to Peterborough roundabout improvements included.
not_sure_i_care
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fizz wrote:
Are version 710 maps available for all TomToms only I've just checked my One XL which was purchased from Amazon on the 22nd October and I have version 675 maps Shocked

I've tried the Use Latest Maps Guarantee and it just tells me I have the latest maps.

If I should have 710 I'll be calling TomTom in the morning or returning it to Amazon in the afternoon.

colin

Have I missed the point here, you purchased it in October 2007 last year it is now May 2008 and you are going to send it back to Amazon, I guess for a refund. I would be interested to see the response you get.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not_sure_i_care wrote:

Have I missed the point here...

Er... yeah, I think you have.
He wrote that on Sun Nov 11 2007 so it was about 21 days old at that point. Smile
not_sure_i_care
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh..!!! Embarassed

I spotted that about 5 mins after posting it. Then battery died on laptop. Apologies, but you can see why I queried it without realising the date mishap.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on the strength of somebody allegedly getting the latest map guarantee map v720, I've tried again this morning. All the tricks - I deleted TT Home, deleted everything from my ONE, restored it to day 1. It still only offers me map v715. GRRRRR!!

I am still back to hoping I can convince TT that I didn't get my ONE with my
van, but separately by post 5 weeks later. I'm trying to get a letter from Renault saying they don't stock TTs at the Dealership and mine was despatched on 22nd April, not given with the van on 12th March.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jac40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: 7.2 Maps manually added to my account Reply with quote

After nearly 2 weeks of badgering TT I now have the 7.2 maps, W&CE and NA !! for my 920T. I contacted them at 29 days old, the day 7.2 was launched. Told them the latest map guarantee wasn't working. Server was back on line yesterday but still did not work so they added them to my account for download !! Wayhay got there in the end !! Very Happy
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for TT to get my account sorted so that I can download the latest map for my TT One - despite sending them proof of purchase and serial number of unit. Mad

They have escalated it, but why it is taking so long I don't know.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 32 of 36

Jump to: