Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cheap and cheerful Magellan?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheap and cheerful Magellan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildduck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Cheap and cheerful Magellan? Reply with quote

Can anyone help with info about the Magellan 1200, please? I have 2 vehicles and have a Garmin 300 in one. I like the sensitivity of the Garmin, the way it charges from the laptop and the customer support, but I've been unable to make it talk to me in a way I want.

My old Medion PDA from Aldi has just lost its power of speech, but I loved it because it warned of POI's with words, and I never looked at the screen. I hate the way the Garmin goes Bong, and to see what the bong means I have to stop the car, find my glasses, look at the screen and find the tiny icon. Ok, I don't really do this, but all I get are bongs as I drive along.

In a taxi yesterday, the driver had a TomTom, so I asked about this, but it just bongs as well, he said.

The Magellan 1200 is around at a reasonable price, so can it do sensible speech and does it charge from usb? Do I have to look for something that does Text to speech? I assume this Magellan doesn't do this.

Ideally, I'm after 4 things.... Low price, ease of charging and of use, emphasis on speech rather than the display that I rarely look at (and find distracting) and simple switching to a basic marine display so I can retire my old Magellan Meridian XL which has always had a hard time seeing satellites. Any suggestions gratefully received!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help with the Magellen, but your Taxi driver was NOT a fount of all knowledge!

The entire TomTom range can use any sound you like as the POI warning, including pre-recorded voice alerts. (See THIS PAGE for some examples, mostly of camera warnings but there are some others at the bottom).
If you buy a TomTom with text to speech capabilities, then you can type your own speech that it will read out as a POI alert.
wildduck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, that's very useful. I must really look again at my Garmin to see if I can get it to work more usefully with audio.

I've been seeing this Magellan unit at about half the price of the cheaper TomToms, which is why I was considering getting one. It was almost as cheap as buying a second car mount to use the one satnav across 2 vehicles.

I'll probably look out for a special offer on a TomTom. I was really impressed with the Garmin support when I needed it. I assumed it was good because they make "proper" satnav for aircraft etc., and thought Magellan might be a bit similar.

Thanks again.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: