Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 520 and Speed cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 520 and Speed cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtarling
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Go 520 and Speed cameras Reply with quote

I've just bought a Go520 and am so far quite pleased with it. However, in the interests of accuracy, I wish to use the pocketgpsworld camera database rather than subscribe to Tomtom's own. Herein is my problem! I can load the pocketgpsworld camera database into my Tomtom, but it shows up as POI's rather than speedcams as Tomtom's do. The Tomtom speedcams allow you to set a warning as a number of seconds before the camera, whereas using the pocketgpsworld POI way, you're only allowed to set a fixed distance warning. So, how do I replace Tomtom's speed cameras with the pocketgpsworld ones? Is it as simple as deleting the Tomtom OV2 files and replacing them with the pocketgpsworld ones?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Go 520 and Speed cameras Reply with quote

gtarling wrote:
I've just bought a Go520 and am so far quite pleased with it. However, in the interests of accuracy, I wish to use the pocketgpsworld camera database rather than subscribe to Tomtom's own. Herein is my problem! I can load the pocketgpsworld camera database into my Tomtom, but it shows up as POI's rather than speedcams as Tomtom's do. The Tomtom speedcams allow you to set a warning as a number of seconds before the camera, whereas using the pocketgpsworld POI way, you're only allowed to set a fixed distance warning. So, how do I replace Tomtom's speed cameras with the pocketgpsworld ones? Is it as simple as deleting the Tomtom OV2 files and replacing them with the pocketgpsworld ones?

Our speed cameras operate slightly different to TomToms. TomTom do not allow third parties to configure the POI warnings in seconds but if you use this table you can configure them with the correct warnings.

Before doing this, you may want to take advantage of our voice warnings (I use Liz) found here and the optional higher quality speed camera icons, available here.

The configuration is a one off process. Once you're done, take a copy of the mapsettings.cfg file (found in your 720's map folder) and keep it safe on your PC. If anything should reset your settings, you can simply copy this file back to reinstate them.

And finally how about a custom cursor!
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Tomtom 520 the pocket GPS data base is far superior to the Tomtom one .
Regarding installing the the pocket GPS speed camera database and adding the voice warnings it really is a simple process !!! even a computer numpty like me was able to do it .
Regarding the existing Tomtom ones I just disabled them by using the tomtom menu some people like to remove them completely in Tomtom home .

I would suggest you remember to back up your GPS in windows Explorer rather than Tomtom home as Home can be unreliable at best
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havnt used this site for a while now but I see that folk are still going on about how the speed cam files from here are better than TomToms.

I have used mainly TT's own database and only ever come across a handfull of sites that are not on.

When I used the one from here, found that places that cop cars often sat eating doghnuts, speed reduction signs (flashy ones) and even traffic master cams were down as speed cameras.

Has anything changed in the last 12 months with this to make it much better than TT's

Steve
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
Has anything changed in the last 12 months with this to make it much better than TT's
Not a lot! It always was better than TomTom's. There has been one change since December 2006 (a bit more than 12 months, but close enough) - we now have a whole bunch of dedicated Verifiers who check the accuracy of camera reports.

See also HERE

Perhaps you could tell us how many cameras there are in TomTom's database?

I see you're Scotland based - does that slightly take you out of the comparisons field? My comparisons are based on using PGPSW on my travels - over 60,000 miles a year, e.g. 600 to Newcastle and back today (I'd have called in at Tiger Tiger for a free drink, only they weren't open that early).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a single months subscription back in Sept 2006, I think you'll find the database is VERY much better in terms of quality now.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
Havnt used this site for a while now but I see that folk are still going on about how the speed cam files from here are better than TomToms.

I have used mainly TT's own database and only ever come across a handfull of sites that are not on.

When I used the one from here, found that places that cop cars often sat eating doghnuts, speed reduction signs (flashy ones) and even traffic master cams were down as speed cameras.

Steve

For the first week after purchasing my Tomtom 520 I used the Tomtom camera alerts and by using them locally several places which I know mobile vans were active there was no mention on the Tomtom database .

I think a person is more likely to caught by a mobile Van than a static camera .

I had no confidence in the Tomtom camera database was anything near accurate
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
Darren wrote:
With a single months subscription back in Sept 2006, I think you'll find the database is VERY much better in terms of quality now.
Sneaky!! That's the trouble with binary - I get my 1s and 0s mixed up - instead of 12 it should have been 20 months!! Mind you, to be frank, using Tomo's similar economy of accuracy with the comparison rules, even the September 2006 PGPSW database stood a chance of being better than TomTom's latest! About a month ago, TomTom database told me there were 17 cameras between Bristol and London - that included 11 which had long since been removed - maybe they too were donut stops? (unless Gatso and Miscellaneous cameras don't eat donuts).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments there but for clarity........

I'm not comparing a 20 month old version of PGW's database with a current TT one.

I was commenting that when I took a download of yours (20 months ago)and used them for 3 or 4 weeks I found that although it did warn me of GATSO's, TRUEVELO's, Red Light cams etc......... it also warned me of Speed reduction signs (those that flash at you to slow down), traffic master sensors (the cams on blue poles that are for TMC), slip roads of motorways/DC's where plod sit once in a blue moon etc. The later being very annoying.

I blame the later on people adding these spots that maybe arnt quite as clued up on speed cameras as some others or they just wanted to add them to their own unit but instead got uploaded to your main database for distribution.

So, has the database improved in this matter in recent times?

If so, I will give it another try.

Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
I blame the later on people adding these spots that maybe arnt quite as clued up on speed cameras as some others or they just wanted to add them to their own unit but instead got uploaded to your main database for distribution.

So, has the database improved in this matter in recent times?

If so, I will give it another try.

A hundred fold. We now verify EVERY submission. No single report is accepted without verification.

Give it a try, I reckon you'll be pleasantly surprised!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also.... your descriptions sound like many of the places where mobile camera vans ARE sited, so would have been perfectly valid alerts
If you don't like the warnings for those, simply do not install that section of the database, or just have them visible with no audible warning.

It's flexible and it's YOUR choice!
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One important thing which has not been mentioned is if the Pockect GPS camera data base is so poor it will not be long before he has submitted the correction to the speed cameras data base and then he will have qualified for free lifetime membership .

Tomtom does not offer this ( what incentive do you have to report a correction to them ) so it stands to reason pocketgps will be more up to date
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, it did (20 months ago) get all the GATSO's etc, I did try my hardest in the 3 or 4 weeks of use to find a location that wasnt there so get the free subs!

It was the stupid false alerts that got me annoyed.

They were if I remember rightly all under the catorgory of possible locations for mobile cams. This POI set did give alerts for motorway bridges/laybys etc that I knew were possible locations BUT also gave locations for slip roads where traff pol parked up (Talivans cant really use the slip roads due to visibilty and the cosine effect as well as the danger of been parked on the hard shoulder or an active carriageway), TMC cams etc as I mentioned. So to get rid of the false alerts I would of had to turn all the mobile locations off. Hence why I gave up on it.

Remebering back, the TT database was pants back then anyway. Comparing this to a Snooper that I used to use there is no comparison, the snooper was brilliant.

Now I dont use the snooper I decided to try the TT database again (1 yr subs started in Nov 2007) and find it to be much better than I remember it to be.

Anyway, I am now going to have a look at downloading PGW's again as I am really pee'd off with TT just now, but thats a different story.

Please dont think that I am totally slating PGW's database, I know a lot of effort has been put into it. Maybe now that the new locations are verified it will be better. If I use it and like it, I will be quick to praise it at a later date!

Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, we all like a good debate! You're entitled to your opinions just so long as if you do try our database you post back with your findings once you've had a chance to review it?
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have the only warn when on planned route ticked !!!

If not you will get warnings from cameras in close proximity to the roads you are traveling on

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: