Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Gatso technology - HGV/Car Differentiation?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Gatso technology - HGV/Car Differentiation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note it says _can be set_ in my mind this does not mean it can automatically distinguish between cars and lorries
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not_sure_i_care wrote:
By GATSO, I mean a GATSO camera. I am not using the term GATSO to refer to all speed/safety cameras.

As I stated earlier, TruVelo cameras can do this but not automatically. I am unsure about SpeedCurb (used to be called Monitron as it was them that developed the technology to an extent but this was then spun out and RedSpeed was formed) Having said that without classification loops prior to the speed measurement sensors I am sure it would not be able to do it. SPECS, in theory, could do it but it dumps the offence if the speed is not over the required threshold. SPECS do not communicate with the DVLA at the roadside.

It is posible for say a box van to trigger a GATSO at a low speed, in these instances it is entirely down to the operator to establish that the offence is null and void.

If true, this would suggest you have access to either the manufacturers' technical specifications, a technicians' manual, or are somehow connected to the manufacturer in some other way; so, without compromising yourself in any way, can you supply some form of corroborating or confirmatory evidence for the above, please?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have found some pictures on the web that DO seem to imply that the standard radar detector used in a Gatso box CAN have two speeds set. I haven't got the links with me at work, but I'll sort them out tonight.
not_sure_i_care
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G1LIW wrote:
not_sure_i_care wrote:

If true, this would suggest you have access to either the manufacturers' technical specifications, a technicians' manual, or are somehow connected to the manufacturer in some other way; so, without compromising yourself in any way, can you supply some form of corroborating or confirmatory evidence for the above, please?

Hmm, do you mean the manufacturers' of just Gatso or the other manufacturers' that I have mentioned in this series of posts?
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of them Twisted Evil

Seriously, they have to be installed and calibrated by someone, so if not by the manufacturer, then by a trusted installer, say a Police Employee?
not_sure_i_care
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a Police Officer.

Edit: Nor am I a Police Employee, just someone in the general industry. Is that enough?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let's give the guy a break.
Here are a couple of pictures of the Gatso "Radar 24" unit that is inside the boxes:

On the first you can see there are TWO sets of switches with numbers for entering the speed limit settings in mph ("40" and "41" in this case). Next to the lower set you can clearly see a picture of a car. Next to the upper set is actually a picture of a lorry, but it is obscured by the top cover in that picture.

In the second picture (a km/h version), everything is a bit blurry, but you can definitely see the picture of a lorry.

The yellow rotary switch between the two sets looks like it is used to select the upper, the lower, or both settings, giving the possibility of dual speed detection for different vehicle types. How often it is used like this I don't know.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual Direction aswell(red button)???? sorry red rotate switch
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Dual Direction aswell(red button)???? sorry red rotate switch

Yes but that's not surprising, on the continent they are normally deployed front facing to enable ID of the driver, why they aren't here when Truvelo is I have no idea. It would at least remove all the issues with drivers not recalling who was at the wheel Confused
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash!! You're blind.

One of my local cams on a dual carriageway, although only trapping westbound traffic, flashed if someone was doing about 50mph in the opposite direction (40mph limit) so must have been set to both ways. The flashes are quite bright Crying or Very sad and a bit of a surprise at night. Shocked
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just don't want to get caught when you're on your bike, Darren! Wink
Samsung Galaxy S21
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Flash!! You're blind.

One of my local cams on a dual carriageway, although only trapping westbound traffic, flashed if someone was doing about 50mph in the opposite direction (40mph limit) so must have been set to both ways. The flashes are quite bright Crying or Very sad and a bit of a surprise at night. Shocked

A mate of mine Wink who rides a bike tells me that they definately do flash when going the wrong way but the second flash is usually too late because the vehicle is out of the picture by the time it goes off... Confused
not_sure_i_care
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatso cameras are not type approved for forward facing enforcement. Therefore cannot be used to prosecute in the UK. In some instances a Gatso camera can 'flash' when driven towards it in the 'wrong' direction but this obviously does not happen for every camera. Otherwise we would all heve seen it.

It is to do with the angle of the camera and the footprint of the approaching vehicle that fools the radar into taking a photograph (they always flash regardless of ambinet light). Some Partnerships paint lines on both sides of the road to fool drivers into thinking that they can operate in both directions. If you were 100% sure how they worked, would you risk it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: