Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapshare Corrections Working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapshare Corrections Working?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:
Selecting the Country in home seems to be working now.

I think that is all part of the same issue... If that's not working, then Mapshare isn't working.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive noticed all the posted problems, varying from the TMC no delay or 1min delay, through to no mapshare updates for several weeks. I have stuck with the latest firmware of 7.481 through it all, and now im quite pleased with the way its working now.

The mapshare system seems to be churning out updates, but only when you have the map selected you want updated. By that i mean this. I have the UK and the southeast USA maps on my 520, BUT, to get mapshare updates for either map, i HAVE to switch to that map before i connect it to the PC. A bit annoying, but now it does work, and as per my sig below, mapshare has added nearly 4000 corrections for my UK map since the server started working a week or so ago. Still no POI updates though. I get one batch of mapshare corrections every day pretty much for each of my two maps.

The TMC no delay or 1 min delay issue cant be tested by myself as im in the USA currently and dont have the USA TMC receiver.

All in all, the tt520 is now working the way it should be. Ive even got the voice recognition working in UK english on both the UK and US maps!

Smile

iPhone 12
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
BUT, to get mapshare updates for either map, i HAVE to switch to that map before i connect it to the PC.

AND, you must manually switch Home every time to store them to the correct location for that map (i.e internal memory or SDcard). It's not clever enough to do that for itself.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

AND, you must manually switch Home every time to store them to the correct location for that map (i.e internal memory or SDcard). It's not clever enough to do that for itself.

Well i copied my UK map to the SD card where the US map is so its all on the one location, but it was for exactly the reason you mention andy! Laughing

iPhone 12
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I see is that for those users of Mapshare that don't visit one of these forums, they may never figure this out as TT seems to giving little guidance.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite true!
That's why sites like this appear. The manufacturers are too busy advertising the good points about their kit, to want to admit to too many of the "issues".

Makes us feel useful, anyway! Laughing
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true Very Happy After all, if I didn't have the forums to keep me busy, I'd actually have to do some work Cool
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

News/How to Edit Map Indicator Counter for Windows VISTA users:

In Vista, the Security Policies are such that it doesn't like you messing with files stored in this location very much (that is, any sub-folder of Program Files no doubt).

As a result, if you open up the "indicator.xml" file up, and make the edits (add the relevant extra 9's), then try and save, it will NOT let you.

Let me indicate, this is not due to Read Only settings - even if the file is NOT marked Read Only or Hidden, Vista will likely still stop you.

So, for those using Vista, the workaround is a little more contrived.

When you add the extra 9's, choose Save As instead, and save the file to your DESKTOP, or other easy to find location where Vista Security Policies WILL allow you to save the file - keep the name correct though.

Then, find, right-click, and COPY this newly saved, and correctly edited file.

Go back to the proper TomTom folder (C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul\extensions\MapShare-status@tomtom.com\chrome\content)

And RENAME the existing original indicator.xml file to something like "indicatorORIG.xml"

Then, right-click in this folder, and choose PASTE to paste in YOUR correctly edited indicator.xml file into this location.

That should be it, and job done, but if there are any problems, you can delete the new file, and just rename the other file back to what it should be.

Hope this helps though running Vista.
dreamweavertv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Tweaking the MapShare updates indicator on a Mac. Reply with quote

Would anyone be able to advise how to add the extra "9" to the MapShare file using an Apple Mac.

Thanks,

JT
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Tweaking the MapShare updates indicator on a Mac. Reply with quote

dreamweavertv wrote:
Would anyone be able to advise how to add the extra "9" to the MapShare file using an Apple Mac.
It's only a text file.

If you have a simple Text Editor on the Mac, then Open it with that. Find the 99999, add a 9 and save. It should then save with the same file name.

Did a Google for 'Mac Text Editor' and they seem to be an add-on. The favourite appears to be TextMate.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone else not receiving mapshare corrections again?

For several days I've been offered corrections, but when I click "Update" downloading and processing is instant, processing takes a little longer, and the number of corrections in use remains the same.
Samsung Galaxy S21
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tried mine and you appear to be correct Anita. It did offer me the upgrade and the number didn't change. Hmmm.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodgerBaz wrote:
I've just tried mine and you appear to be correct Anita. It did offer me the upgrade and the number didn't change. Hmmm.

Just tried updating my NA 710 map. It went from 20350 to 20385 mapshare changes.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodgerBaz wrote:

Remember, they've got a bug which hits a glass ceiling at 99999 - so not changing ANY number will probably be their software fix - can't increase it? well just don't try!! Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right for TomTom, Dennis! Rolling Eyes

I have applied the fix for displaying a number greater than 99,999 and my corrections are currently showing as 102,678.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: