Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RDS-TMC and GPRS Traffic differences with Navcore 7.48x
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RDS-TMC and GPRS Traffic differences with Navcore 7.48x
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put 7.2.2.1 back on (again!!!)
Still got the yellow circle doing rotations.
Dennis do you think a lot of these issues are down to the transmitter power being half of that in the continent? oh and of course TomToms chinese receivers.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine with 7.221 is more reliable at telling me whether or not it's got signal, so I often get the yellow thing. I have read somewhere that the regulations for UK do not allow a stronger signal.

It's Hobson's choice until they get it sorted - do you prefer to be told it knows all the time (7.481), or that it used to know and it will again in a minute or two (7.221)? Because at present it NEVER knows!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer it to tell me that it is at least CAPABLE of getting a signal. Laughing
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
Today it seems to be back to normal. NO SERVICE.
I say that but i really am not sure, i planned a route to heathrow and the traffic bar comes up on the right side but nothing showing. Above the bar is a car with a green arrow looping over the top of it. Thats it.
Half the icons are greyed out and Auto tuning has gone completely, is this a feature of 7.4.8.1

You can go in to the Traffic options and enable the option to manually tune, and the icon comes back again.

If you are having reception problems like this in this area of the country you have a problem with antenna positioning on your windscreen - make sure it is at least 2" in from the A pillar and as much as possible is vertical. Keep the TT and the egg as far away from the vertical section as possible and try running off of batteries.

Andy
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Andy, for the last two days i have been testing it out in the garden with nothing to obstruct the signal.
The time i actually got a signal, it was on the window sill inside with the antenna stuck to the living room window with one of the clear suckers.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went upto Heathrow this morning with the 720 sat snugly in the brodit mount. I put app version 7.481 on last night and when i got to the A23 at Brighton i got a signal with the TMC all the way to Heathrow and back.
Told me all about the accident at leatherhead M25.
I think my problems before are purely down to where i live as when i get to the major routes the signal seems to lock on fine.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem where I live - I have wired the receiver to the car antenna and can now get a signal in areas that were dead spots before. My car aerial is amplified so that helps!

Andy
frmarcus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: RDS TMC not good... Reply with quote

I'm generally disappointed with RDS TMC. I'm now wary about using its warnings to avoid problems - bacause I've found before that when I've ignored it there were either no problems or they disappeared well before I got to the point in question. The other day a trip from Broadstairs to Oxford with TomTom (145miles) warned me almost immediately on starting of problems on the M25 70-odd miles away - and kept warning me. I used the avoidance measure but was given a rather longer route taking MUCH longer than the original - some two hours. So I ignored it... and lo and behold... not one delay to the original route.

It seems to me that the issue is one of dated info and 'unintelligent' application of that info to one's route, so that, for example, one could be given an avoidance route that's far longer in time/distance than would be reasonably desired given a minor obstruction, making avoidance non-viable.
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i got TT to actually admit there is a issue! Following is my continuing CS case about Traffic! tried pasting the email/conversation but it wouldn't allow me so i'll type it and i promise it's genuine i can forward it if required!

I phoned them on 14/4/08 complaining about TMC, Lack of time info, and colour coding of delays here is the response:

Quote:
Response (Tim S. (UK)) 14/04/2008 11:28 AM
Dear Mr Wall

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

As per our conversation today, i have forwarded your case to our second level support department to look in to this further for you.
If we need further infomation from you, we will email you instructions.
In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and cooperation.
Best Regards
The TomTom Customer Support Team.

Response (Tim S. (UK)) 15/04/2008 11:19 AM
Dear Mr Wall
In regard to our previous phone conversation, it would help us if you are able to submit the date, time and place of a few traffic incidents (currently) that are showing as grey or 1 or 2 mins on your device.
This will help us investigate further.
Best Regards

Customer (Mike Wall) 15/04/2008 11:11 PM
Sorry for this late reply butbeen working late and unable to reply till now.
1. Delay on A34 Northbound to Junction M40, 3 mile plus delay on Monday 14th Apr, showed gray with no delay times

All delays are gray, plus if you get more than one delay on your route, you get the voice saying traffic on your route has changed, but the icons on the traffic bar vanish, so visual check shows no delay even tho there may be many! No delay show times so if you try to avoid a delay it just takes you same route! For more info check forum here:(Link to here Many of the members have the same issue! As you can understand if the info does not show a delay time it make rerouting useless as the unit will take the quickest route which will be the one it's using as it thinks there is no actaul delay time! 7.221 was the last version that showed a delay time (This was wrong tho 1 min or 100mins never right) and the right colour for dely! but it's just gray whatever the delay! now!

Customer (Mike Wall) 15/04/2008 11:23 PM
Just to correct you NO DELAY TIME is shown! Just lenth and distance to delay
link to this thread

check the above link for how TMC and GPRS traffic compare on the same issues!

Responce (Themba S.(UK)) 22/04/2008 11:20 AM
Dear Mr Wall
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support with regards to your issue.

I would thank you for your feedback that you have provided with regards to TDS TMC information. This challenge is currently being investigated and WILL BE RESOLVED SOON. I would like to check if you can still experience the same challenge if you have software application verssion 7221 installed on your GO720. I have attached the application to this email, the attachment can be found in your TomTom account. Please follow the steps below to install the attached application onto your GO720 and report if you experienced the same challenge with this application version.
Instructions followed
Best Regards

Responce (Themba S.(UK)) 22/04/2008 11:56 AM
Dear Mr Wall
Yuor Reference for your query is xxxxxx-xxxxxx
Please find attached application 7221
Best Regards

Customer (Mike Wall) 22/04/2008 11:06 PM
App 7.221 shows traffic colours correctly but the delay times are wrong showing 1min or 1xx mins! but as i said the type of delay is shown by the right colour! Its only 7.48x that only shows just gray traffic!

Response (Wayne W.(UK)) 23/04/2008 01:22 PM
Your Reference Number for your query is xxxxxx-xxxxxx.
WE ARE AWARE THAT SOME CUSTOMERS ARE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM and the cause is being looked into.
At current I am afraid we do not have an immediate solution to this challenge.
Best Regards

There you have it TT finally admitting there is an issue! I do like the RESOLVED SOON comment! Hope this helps! From the blunt last reply i'm guessing resolved soon aint gonna be our definition of soon! Seeing as Navcore 8 still has the same issue! As with Dennis's replies TT do seem to go off on a tangent! and it would seem not the whole CS team know whats happening! Bit scary really seeing as the issue renders the traffic module unfit for the purpose its intended! So we can all claim a refund if we wanted!!!

PS. sorry dennis for multi coloured post Laughing Out Loud

Last edited by mikewall on Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:03 am; edited 2 times in total
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
Went upto Heathrow this morning with the 720 sat snugly in the brodit mount. I put app version 7.481 on last night and when i got to the A23 at Brighton i got a signal with the TMC all the way to Heathrow and back.
Told me all about the accident at leatherhead M25.
I think my problems before are purely down to where i live as when i get to the major routes the signal seems to lock on fine.

There does seem to be better reception ot TMC signal on app 7.481, i never got reception from H'row to the M23 but have since 7.481! and also on M40 Banbury i also get TMC as i used to have to drive south till the A34 before i got signal!
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also confirm TomTom are aware of this problem, if you keep escalating, wrting letters you may get a nice surprise. I'm not going to say exactly what they have offered me, but its not a free map upgrade or free subscription to GPRS Traffic. They have agreed to replace my TMC with a new, yet to be released product, that we all know about that does a similar job to the TMC.

Just keep opening the logs and TomTom will evetually give in....
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with you Mike.

A lot of my journeys centre around London and the home counties, I have run with 7.481 since it was available with a short revert back to 7.221 for a couple of days. And without exception I find the TMC will lock on for at least 80% of the time whereas with 7.221 I was lucky to get a lock at all.

I appreciate that the lock may not have been there all the time but I have only had a few occassions where the lock was lost for over 10 mins and plus, perhaps a couple where the green circle even went grey.

That being said I get a lock more often than not and therefore Traffic info, and there are other conversations to be had about the accuracy of said info. Laughing Out Loud

I experienced an unusual event the other day though, whilst checking info/incidents i had an update and Kate then blurted out the info for me, in other words the text under the map converted to voice, has anyone else had this yet, or is it normal and I have missed out for some reason?

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4VE wrote:

I experienced an unusual event the other day though, whilst checking info/incidents i had an update and Kate then blurted out the info for me, in other words the text under the map converted to voice, has anyone else had this yet, or is it normal and I have missed out for some reason?

Dave

This is how it SHOULD be if it is an incident on your route that will increase your delay.

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But running 7,481 this little one off must be down to a glitch in the system, perhaps the data received by the device was corrupt causing the TomTom to react to a traffic message.
Joking aside, when TomTom get around to sorting this out you will get the same level of information while using RDS - it used to work, it has been broken for too long now - Mike
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:

This is how it SHOULD be if it is an incident on your route that will increase your delay.

Andy

Delay Info, are you "sposed" to get that too...Laughing Out Loud

Joking aside, overall as I have said, I get more lock than not whereas with 7.221 it was the opposite. So it would seem that the firmware has an affect on reception somehow unless a line of code has been included in earlier releases that increased the threshold for reception.

Now all TT have to do is present the info from TMC correctly, how hard can that be!!

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: