Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - poi garmin
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

poi garmin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stressedred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: poi garmin Reply with quote

have a new garmin 250 downloaded poi loader and poi database.
as you are travelling along the road do the poi's apppear on your gps screen, if so how do you set it up for this.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the Nuvis but on my Quest and StreetPilot 2720 there's an option in the menus for the map scale that the POIs show up at. Usually this defaults to 'Auto' but you can select other manual settings such as '800ft', '0.2 mile' etc. Don't set them to show at too zoomed out a setting as they'll obscure map detail.
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: poi garmin Reply with quote

stressedred wrote:
have a new garmin 250 downloaded poi loader and poi database.
as you are travelling along the road do the poi's apppear on your gps screen, if so how do you set it up for this.

On a Nuvi they only show up when you are zoomed in to the maximum level. I don't think there is anyway of adjusting it.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to use this program that converts the CSV to GPX files. The GPX files can include info that should make the icons display most of the time and will also give over speed warnings for the cameras.

The warning will be given as a one time warning, but if you are over the camera speed limit it will be repeated until you slow down or pass the camera.

The program is Garmin GPX Converter and can be found HERE

The user guide is on that page, but on the left is a link to the software. It is a free program and works well with my Garmin i3.

Once you have converted the files you want, they need to be put in a folder with any other poi's and all the icons and then loaded via PoiLoader as normal.

Note: if you use the Type Alert / Always Shown you will see that when loaded via PoiLoader that the files loaded are twice the normal size (so if there was 2500 original locations, it will report 5000), that is the info that is in the GPX file, and you will still see the correct amount of poi's on you Garmin, not double.

Don't forget that you need to load all of the files again as PoiLoader removes all existing poi's when you use it, so if you have other poi's they need to be in the same folder to re-load.

PoiLoader will then load the converted files (.gpx) and any other (.csv) files you have, just need to be in the same folder with their icons.

Hope that makes sense and is some use to you.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stressedred: were you referring to speed camera poi's or general morrisons, tesco, fuel poi;s etc?

MaFt
stressedred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
stressedred: were you referring to speed camera poi's or general morrisons, tesco, fuel poi;s etc?

MaFt

pois in general shown on the gps whilst driving
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the 2xx series they only show, if i recall correctly, if you have a proximity alert set for them - this would get very very annoying in a town centre though!

if you click on the map to get the overhead view (and zoom in) or click on 'view map' when you have chosen a destination then they show on the map there.

MaFt
windup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: POI, cameras Reply with quote

Hi, Just jumping in on this thread..
I just got a 250W and been playing with the voice files, Ash10 thread been a great help.
I altered the 'recalc' tone and tried to alter the camera warning tone to be a bit more 'Dominant', but anything I tried kept the same warning tones, so I assume they come from another source.
Are they in the Camera data download from Garmin or the POI.
I haven't even looked at the POI loader yet.... Rolling Eyes
ralex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Garmin GPX converter Reply with quote

Downloaded the converter as suggested, but when I select all the files I want to convert, I get the message "The file name buffer is too small to store selected file names. Increase max file size" How do you do this?
pcs333
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just jumping in on this Very Happy
i am trying to use the latest gpx converter but when trying to load the converted gpx files into poi loader i get the invalid gpx file warning so it doesn`t work.

is it me or is there an incompatibilty problem with the newest poi loader ??
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using PoiLoader file version 2.5.2.0(if that is the latest version - downloaded in April this year) and GPX Converter version 1.1.3, which I think are the latest files. These load just fine to my i3.

Not sure why you are getting that error.

Try setting the Alert Type to Always Shown on the GPX Converter top menu.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: