Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin or Navigon
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin or Navigon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kieeee
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Garmin or Navigon Reply with quote

I'm going to buy a new GPS for driving and I wanted to know which one is better for overall performance. I found two great deals about them

Admin Edit: Affiliate links removed. PaulB2005

I heard Garmin is the way to go, how do you guys think? Which one guys?
binetp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Garmin! Reply with quote

Just my opinion. I used a Garmin i3 for a couple years and recently faced a similar situation you are in. I read way too manyreviews...my head was spinning. I ended up buying a navigon and now wish I had bought the Nuvi. Partly because of customer service. Yes, FreshMaps is a GREAT idea, but Navigon acts like two separate companies with the left hand (Americas) not knowing what the right hand (EU) is doing. I bought my Navigon in the USA, noticed after purchase that it only came wit three languages, english, french, and spanish. I need German and English, was told this was not possible, and that an account for software updates at navigon.com doesn't work at navigon.de.
Much less complicated at Garmin. And of course that the Garmin screen is MUCH easier to read and navigate.
Hope this helps.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you find the navigon software? i presume with freshmaps you have a relatively new unit?

my experience of devices running navigon (eg fujitsu loox n100) was that it was very slow and sluggish... it's also a real pain to get any poi's on there (including speed cams) and this requires purchase of extra software to do it anyway!

this would put me off using a navigon sat nav and would much rather go for a garmin.

MaFt
alistairm1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Navigon 7100 which replaced my ipaq and holux receiver combination which I had been using for a few years (with Navigon software).

I chose it after attending the PGPDS show at Epsom racecourse last year.
I visited every stand with a list of "problem" postcodes to see which of the manufacturers were able to provide a system which would allow me to navigate to them.

Out of all the devices and software on show only two were able to find them all (of the others some had more success than others). The two were the Navigon and the AVSat.

I did like the Garmin, but I had done FAR too much research and was put off by reports of curious routes that users were experiencing.

What I do like about the Navigon is the multi-point routing, the clear voice instructions, and the POI's. And the customer support. They have always been very helpful and quick to respond.
I know that everyone complains about having to buy POIWarner, but its ability to automatically synchronise your selections from the POIHandler web site, and the fact that it uses ASC format files for other POI's make updating straightforward. However, you do not get "warn only if on route" or directional options for the safety cameras.

One other "benefit" is that the software is not locked to the SD card which it is stored on, which means you can make a copy, or copy to a larger card and still use it. Some manufacturers lock the software to the card so that if you lose it, or it gets damaged in some way, you have to contact the manufacturer to get it sorted out.

Whichever you chose, I'm sure you will be satisfied.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: