Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 930T Unboxing & Comparisons With 720T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 930T Unboxing & Comparisons With 720T
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjdj1689 wrote:
Sent mine back and it cost me £8-50 had to send it to coventry and they send it to france, 15 days to get my money back as well.

My 930T was in Coventry as well today, had a few jobs there, worked great, even the Traffic did not disconnect from my Nokia N95 all day (A first with any of my units!).

Really don't think I like the lane assist, I really do like the new lane direction bars at the bottom of the screen but the actual lane assist pictures are more onf a gimmick.

Also odd ball the way its been implemented. M1 J27 & 29 have lane assit images J28 does no yet all 3 are standard 1 lane slip M1 exits, seems illogical to do the 2 and miss the one in the middle.

Anyway I have done a fair few miles today and by the end of the day the static lane assist screens have been deactivated and I am much happier with the unit just using the standard screen with the new lane direction arrows.
Ayres
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, my first ever post here (although I have long been a reader from afar!) and I have a techincal query regarding the new 930...

On previous TomTom models, the time of day is of course able to be set, either by syncing (by pressing Sync) or manually entering the time under the Set Clock option. But nowhere was there any place to enter the current date...

To that end, is there now an option to input a date, or sync one, because I'm guessing if there isn't, how on earth does the new IQ routeing feature on the x30 know whether to use weekend routeings and timings as opposed to ones for a weekday? Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When planning a route using AtoB or Prepare Route you are asked to select one of a few options:

Today
Tomorrow
Weekday
Weekend

This tells the software what IQ route profile to use, if you just use the more usual Nav to option it knows the day and bases the presented route upon one of the above choices without a selection, it knows the day Weekday/ Weekend is all that really matters for this bit.

There is nowhere to actually Sync the day/ date though it will do this automatically from the GPS signal and software. The GPS signal contains the date so it is not difficult to work out the weekday/ weekend switch - Mike
Ayres
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that informative reply Mike.

I didn't realise the GPS signal also transmits a date stamp as well. I'm guessing that's the same for all models, TomTom or not.

So, judging by what you have said, if you want to specify a route for say 'tomorrow' or 'weekend' (by using the 'Tomorrow' or 'Weekend' option), you cannot ask to specify at what time on the trip whenever you make it you wish to depart? Does the 'arrive at destination by a particular time' option handle that?

As an aside, has there ever been an option for the TT to display the current date on screen, or would it be possible even?
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
TomTom's testing has always been questionable, but this release highlights a very serious issue in that this product has not been tested. Yes I can accept that maybe non UK units have been purchased and these do not have English TTS, but there's no Home software that supports 930.

So in summary they have released a half finished product, thats not been tested, and cannot supported. Even if this product did work the new functionallity isn't worth the price premium.

why are you surprised at this ,I've been reading this thread deciding if i should upgrade or not this year ,thing is they do the same thing every year by selling unfinished products to cust and expect them to suffer though the stages
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayres wrote:
I didn't realise the GPS signal also transmits a date stamp as well. I'm guessing that's the same for all models, TomTom or not.

The date is part of the basic NMEA standard the GPS unit uses, so this is true for any GPS device, it is nothing to do with who made the receiver or nav unit. One such NMEA data line would look like:

$GPRMC, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K,

A= UTC Time of Fix HHMMSS format
B= Status A=Valid, V= Warning
C= Latitude ddemm.mmmm format
D= Latitude hemisphere N or S
E= Longitude dddmm.mmmm
F= Longitude hemisphere E or W
G= Speed over ground 000,0 to 999,9 Knotts
H= Course over ground 000,0 to 359,9 degrees
I= UTC Date of position fix ddmmyy formatJ= Magnetic variation 000,0 to 180,0
K= Mag Var Direction E or W

Although I don't ever recall seeing the actual date displayed on a TomTom before, the information is available for use by the software as shown above - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuart wrote:
GPS_fan...Yes...Its a joke between DennisN and a few others regarding a mysterious 'm' on a v8 loaded into a 520T...Here..... www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=66152
What??? Confused I do have a reputation for talking when I'm not spoken to and moving swiftly off topic to speak a load of rubbish when I do, but I didn't understand a single word of that thread, so I didn't contribute to it. Unusual, I know, but true. Rolling Eyes
I know a joke about an Irishman and a pair of wellies if that'll do instead? Off Topic

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Erintech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One annoying thing about the 920 is that when it is powered by the car it will turn off when ignition is turned off, but won't turn on when ignition is turned on.

Could someone with a 930 test this please?

You could simulate ignition on/off by plugging in/out the cigar lighter adaptor

Many thanks,
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erintech wrote:
One annoying thing about the 920 is that when it is powered by the car it will turn off when ignition is turned off, but won't turn on when ignition is turned on.

Could someone with a 930 test this please?
I'm pretty sure Vicky or somebody else already answered and it's no different from the 920.

I'm assuming you do want (and have setup for it) the 920 to power off with ignition.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This optional 'auto-off' but no 'auto-on' is a deliberate decision by TomTom, but as they have tried every possible combination over the years (for various reasons) there's no reason why both of them couldn't be implemented as user-options now.
I have a vague ongoing campaign to get it changed, every few months I repeat the same list of software bug reports and suggestions for new features in the hope that one day something might rub off on them.
agolder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erintech wrote:

I've not seen this as an option on the 920 - where abouts is this? sounds like it could be a useful (perhaps annoying sometimes?) feature...

Cheers.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change Preferences/ Battery Saving references skip the first screen it presents by pressing "Done", then the second screen it offers gives you the option the "Switch off when external power is lost" select the check box and enjoy the new found capability - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....and then pull in to your drive, turn off the ignition and stare at the TT waiting for it to turn off.........

..........and then remember that you didn't power it off of the car so that you could get RDS-TMC reception and have to turn it off manually Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And always remember to Clear Route - otherwise you may find yourself getting navigating instructions at an embarrassing moment when it switches itself back on again. Mine switched itself back on again in my pocket the other day and actually made a phone call (redialled) from the "taps" my pocket made!

meryvn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Change Preferences/ Battery Saving references skip the first screen it presents by pressing "Done", then the second screen it offers gives you the option the "Switch off when external power is lost" select the check box and enjoy the new found capability - Mike

This also will probably not work on a Ford (certainly a Focus) as they don't power off the cigarette lighter when you turn the engine off. Though will turn off when you pull the power plug out.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: