Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapshare Corrections Working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapshare Corrections Working?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers... you are entirely correct.
I deleted the two "MapCachexxxx.dat" files I had in
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\TomTom\HOME\Profiles\xxxxxxx.default\MapShareDownloadCache folder, did another "remove other people's corrections" and lo and behold it didn't find any updates.

Those files were from the 12th and 13th March, the last time we got any real updates. I should have noticed that there were only 2 stages to the process when it reinstalled them and it was too fast to have actually downloaded them.

--------------------------------------------------

Actually, before doing that I also tried this:
Having got updates this morning, I swapped map to see if I could get updates for my old map too. Success.

Then switched back to my new map and thought I might as well check for updates again. No updates, so I looked at the countries list - no countries available again!

So for a giggle, I deleted the "corrections from other people" yet again, and this time it DID find and download all the previous updates, BUT at all times it was STILL saying "No countries available"

--------------------------------------------------

I have no explanation for this other than the simple fact that Home and the entire Mapshare system is a complete and utter piece of junk, it works when it feels like it, usually doesn't and is totally inconsistent about what it shows you in its menus and options screens.

I refuse to waste any more of my time fretting over it.
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom support are a right laugh - They had me restoring to factory defaults etc to try and get this MapShare working.

Naturally it didn't make a blind bit of difference, but I played along with them in the hope that they would eventually lead to an answer.

I have now asked the direct question - have they got a Macintosh computer and if so, can they get MapShare to work with it and a TT ONE 3rd Ed?

Needless to say no answer to that.

Will they never learn that it is easier just to admit that their software does not work or is very buggy than to waste time?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fast coming to the conclusion that MapShare is a big con trick. I can't remember how long it is since I last received any corrections - I haven't accepted QuickGPSFix for weeks and haven't been offered any mapshare correction for weeks either.

It seems to me that mapshare is mostly a one-way system - TT will happily accept any corrections you submit, but that was the main purpose behind it - get loads of free input from users - they now boast millions of users submitting map corrections and millions of users submitting cameras. It is now falling apart from the point of view of downloads - I'd guess they simply cannot keep up with the submissions. On top of which, new maps (v8) are very imminent, so you can forget v7 updates - TomTom are!! Your submissions MAY be reflected in the v9 maps, but don't hold your breath.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
v0n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ready to scream. I bought my Tomtom 720T with Western Europe 7.05 map in mid December and since then I have had NOT A SINGLE MAP SHARE update available to me. I installed, reinstalled, gone back and forward between TTHome 2.1 and 2.2. Tried resets, reboots, joining and quiting, disabling all the options and enabling them back, clearing non existant previous updates. Regrade of an upgrade to the downgrade - the whole nine yards. To no avail. Not a single map share in sight anyware for months.
Map Share plugin on front page says my Tomtom is 30 weeks out of date and 19457 corrections are waiting, but when I click update there is nothing. Also when I go to Tools-Map Share- Preferences it don't show any countries, it just says "No items available".

Tried emailing support but they just keep replying with the same ready-made mantra email "To enable the Map share feature of your TomTom, please do the following:-
- Tap onto the Main Menu
- Tap onto Map Corrections
- Tap onto 'Correction Preferences' and press 'Continue'.
- Tap onto 'Download Corrections made by others'
- Tap onto 'Join'
- Select the Map Share Preferences you require."

Doh, I know how to enable it!!! But no Map Share updates are available to me, not even list of countries!

Fair enough, some of you mentioned servers can be down, but just how unlucky can I be to have no updates at all, not a singe one, for 4 months out of 12 months those updates are apparently free to me? So frustrating.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to have been unlucky. There are so many times it has gone wrong centrally and so many ways it can go wrong on your machine, that if you put them all together and mix that with the apparent quality of their present software engineers, it is amazing it has ever worked.
anthp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe someone from PocketGpsWorld could use there power and influence to talk to TOM TOM and find out what is really going on with the map share system. The support i have received form tom tom has been useless. Mine used to work I think it did, it appeared to anyway, its driving me mad now, am I entitled to a refund.

anth
bensonboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got some, it took me from 79000ish to 80000ish so they have been piling up, it told me I had an internet connection problem, then suddenly found a load of updates. That's my first for about a week.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, that's another favourite trick of Home. It loves to tell you that YOU are not connected to the internet or YOU are having connection problems, when it is ALWAYS their problem really.

I suspect they've just forgotten to pay the bill again (for the 28kB dial-up account they must have).
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally it worked! (and on my Macintosh)

I got an email from TT Customer service today:

As stated in my previous email, our MapShare server was offline during the course of the last several days.

It is back online this morning and the Map Share corrections should now be available again.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray - first corrections in two weeks. One device done, two more to go, fingers crossed.

Why do I rejoice when the damn thing works?

Edited to add GO920 now says 99999 corrections in use!

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well, I suppose it was too much to expect! Still, two out of three devices updated is progress, I suppose. The third one denied any available (despite at one stage having anice note saying the map was 4 weeks out of date and 2616 map corrections waiting).

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 99,999 corrections too. Aren't we lucky? Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3GGG... as you've got a service "ticket" open with TT at the moment, could you reply to their email and ask them if they can definitely confirm whether the POI update part of Mapshare is also working now?

It would save a lot of detective work, as there is no easy way for us to tell any more.
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
3GGG... as you've got a service "ticket" open with TT at the moment, could you reply to their email and ask them if they can definitely confirm whether the POI update part of Mapshare is also working now?

It would save a lot of detective work, as there is no easy way for us to tell any more.

Andy, I believe it is working - this morning when Map Share worked for me, I first got thousands of updates installed, then changed the Map Share preferences to include further POI categories and got many more updates installed. I think that proves that it is working?

I did give feedback to them, suggesting that they could indicate the status of their servers on a webpage or even better within HOME.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3GGG wrote:

Andy, I believe it is working - this morning when Map Share worked for me, I first got thousands of updates installed, then changed the Map Share preferences to include further POI categories and got many more updates installed. I think that proves that it is working?

Interesting....
Yes, that certainly SEEMS to indicate it is working! But who knows with TomTom? (99,99 updates now!)

I'll have to try something similar (unfortunately I had all the boxes ticked, so I'll not get LOTS of new ones if I try again).

It was just I didn't want to go through all the hassle of opening up yet another support question with them.
On at least two occasions when I've asked before, they have insisted that Mapshare has NEVER done POI updates, and I had to go through a long rigmarole proving to them how their own product was supposed to work!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: