Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Firmware version 7.481
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Firmware version 7.481
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erikthecat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: a fix? Reply with quote

well tom tom don't seem to want to gift me a gprs stop gap solution:(
all they want me to do is jump through some hoops:(
apart from taking some time to perform,
can anyone see any logic in their fault finding / cure?
read on for the instruction.
look forward to your comments,
TIA.
GaRy:)

Response (Brennan T. (UK)) 11/04/2008 09.53 AM
Dear Mr x,

We would like to ask you to do the following steps to try and troubleshoot the device and the RDS-TMC receiver. Please note that if this does not rectify the challenge; then we will need to seek additional assistance from our 2nd Line Department for further troubleshooting methods.

Please follow these instructions:

- Connect your TomTom to the computer and go to menu page 2 of 2.

- Go to Remove items and completely remove the application from your device.

- Complete a Backup of your device via TomTom HOME 2.x

- Then go to My Computer (on Windows XP) or Computer (on Vista) and find the device's internal memory.

- Right click on the internal memory and select format.

- Complete a full format of the internal memory of the device.

- Then go to My Documents TomTom HOME download(s) and clear the entire contents of the downloads folder.

- Then restore your backup via TomTom HOME.

- Then disconnect your TomTom device and reset the device.

- A red cross should then appear. When this happens please connect your TomTom device back to the computer.

- TomTom HOME should register updates and offer you the latest version of TomTom Software application.

- Install all updates that is offered by TomTom.

- Then set your device up to receive Traffic services via the RDS-TMC receiver.

If this does not solve, please let us know and we will diligently work to rectify the challenge. Furthermore, please note that TomTom only provides the receiver as the service is provided by outside companies and radio stations.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team
map we 710.1561
rds-tmc v4.00.013 (replacement)
erikthecat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: oops a double post, how do i delete this? Reply with quote

oops a double post, how do i delete this?
map we 710.1561
rds-tmc v4.00.013 (replacement)

Last edited by erikthecat on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that reply from support should be given a "crass stupidity of the year" badge, it is total nonsense:

1/ it is not possible to remove the application from the menu on a TomTom

2/ formatting the device then wiping out any TomTom Home data will also remove your backup

What they did get right is the large red cross on the display, after that it will require a cardboard box unless you have a Windows Explorer backup - someone needs to go back in to very basic training - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 / I think they mean to remove the software via page 2 of HOME, Mike.

But making a backup AFTER you've done that seems a bit daft.... Laughing

I'm tempted to suggest doing nothing, but then replying to say you've done all they suggested and it hasn't helped. It will save you time and aggro and get to the same result in the end.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
I'm tempted to suggest doing nothing, but then replying to say you've done all they suggested and it hasn't helped. It will save you time and aggro and get to the same result in the end.
Far be for me to recommend anything so patently dishonest (it's allright for Andy, he's a softypants southerner). But it's exactly what I did when I got a different (but equally loquacious and useless) such support response - waited an hour then replied that it hadn't worked and I'd therefore restored it back to where it had been before following their advice. Cool

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
russd1978
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if someone can help. Sorry if this has already been answered. I use the PGPS speed camera warnings, but on my 720 I also have the TomTom Speed Cam warnings (which I think installed when I first got my Go and updated it).

If Im driving along without a route planned the official TomTom Speed Cam warnings would make an audible beep but now since this new update I get the warning visually on screen but nothing audible. Any idea where I can re-enable this? Ive tried looking under Manage POIs but it theres nothing listed for the official TT camera warnings.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have look under TomTom Plus Services or something like that - that is where I go every once in a while to turn the damn things off!

Andy
russd1978
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Have look under TomTom Plus Services or something like that - that is where I go every once in a while to turn the damn things off!

Andy

Thanks Andy youve solved my problem Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

russd1978 wrote:
AndyVaughan wrote:

Andy

Thanks Andy youve solved my problem Smile

Nah!! The numpty helped you keep your problem going!!!

For laughs, NO, for interest and curiosity, I have today given all my TT cameras a spoken warning. My own dulcet tones speaking the camera type "Fixed Safety Camera", Mobile Safety camera", "Toll road Safety camera", "Miscellaneous Safety camera", "Restricted road Safety camera", "Red light Safety cameras". This is to tell me what type of camera TT is telling me about, because up to now I've seen no rhyme or reason behind what they bleep at. So I'm getting fixed ones announcing, but also fixed ones announcing for some specs (which are no longer there since 6 months ago), miscellaneous announcing for fixed, specs, roadworks and I know not what. 325 miles today (from here to the first Garden City in the world and back) and TT got two cameras right. I suppose they nicked them from the pgpsw database - cheap at the price.

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - turn off the TT ones, I think they are only there for entertainment. There is no way they are there to warn you of cameras!

Andy
russd1978
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Yep - turn off the TT ones, I think they are only there for entertainment. There is no way they are there to warn you of cameras!

Andy

The reason I like them to have an audible sound is that sometimes I dont have a route planned and I like to listen to a podcast or music via the FM reciever - the PGPS cameras dont seem to warn me unless I have a route planned - perhaps Ive set them up that way?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

russd1978 wrote:
the PGPS cameras dont seem to warn me unless I have a route planned - perhaps Ive set them up that way?

Yes, you have...
To warn all the time you go to Main menu / Change Preferences / Manage POIs / warn when near / and for each camera type in turn, go through the distance and sound setting pages (changing nothing) and the last page is a tick box for "Warn only when on route". Untick it and you will ALWAYS get warnings, but the downside is you will also get more "false alerts" for cameras on nearby roads, depending on the alert distances you've chosen.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repeat - I got TWO correct TomTom camera warnings along today's 300+ miles. I also got at least a DOZEN wrong ones - I KNOW they were wrong, because they were things like 30/40/50 mph cameras on a clear open motorway (which I also know was under roadworks 6 months to a year ago). You must be a glutton for punishment. Rolling Eyes

russd1978
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
russd1978 wrote:
the PGPS cameras dont seem to warn me unless I have a route planned - perhaps Ive set them up that way?

Yes, you have...
To warn all the time you go to Main menu / Change Preferences / Manage POIs / warn when near / and for each camera type in turn, go through the distance and sound setting pages (changing nothing) and the last page is a tick box for "Warn only when on route". Untick it and you will ALWAYS get warnings, but the downside is you will also get more "false alerts" for cameras on nearby roads, depending on the alert distances you've chosen.

Thanks - I think the false warnings were why i turned it off, the tomtom ones seem to warn only when on that road which is handy, and when im on a journey I can set it up so if i want the PGPS ones active I just set the route. Its interesting seeing how accurate they are side by side, PGPS seems so much more comprehensive Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about you, but the latest software v7.481 has now got all my TomTom cameras warning TWICE! Still, it helps pass the time of day.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: