Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Quest- losing my sat. reception
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Quest- losing my sat. reception

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funnyfreddie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Garmin Quest- losing my sat. reception Reply with quote

Hi,
I've had a Quest 1 for around 2 years and up to now, no problems. I haven't used it for a month or two.
However, last weekend I needed to use it. I fired it up a day or two before hand and it worked fine. On the day of the trip the weather was bad with heavy rain around 7pm. I completely lost sat reception for 90% of the journey which didn’t help. If it helps, I was travelling from Swindon and on the A419 just before birdlip hill I lost my signal and never got reception back. I turned it on and off a few times to re-boot which normally does the trick but this time no joy.
Yesterday I thought I would try it again to a local place as a test. Weather sunny/time 10am. I travelled from Swindon to Wootton Bassett, a 20 min journey. Same again, completely lost sat. reception for most of the journey. Since then, it has not found any sat’s at all.

Has Swindon just become a new ‘black hole’? Laughing

I have just updated it from v4 to v4.10. its using map ‘city nav Europe v8’.its placed on my windowsill now with clear view of sky and still I can’t find at reception.

I’ve changed nothing other than the update. This was done ‘after’ the problem started.

Can someone help please? Note I need the fix in a ‘step by step’ guide as I’m not tech minded.

Thanks.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Quest- losing my sat. reception Reply with quote

funnyfreddie wrote:
I have just updated it from v4 to v4.10. its using map ‘city nav Europe v8’.its placed on my windowsill now with clear view of sky and still I can’t find at reception.

Hmmm, how long did you wait? If it's lost all it's data then it takes about 20 minutes to get a new set and it must have a good sky view to do this too.

If it doesn't just come right by itself when you leave it with a good view of the sky (don't move the unit or block it's view) then it might need resetting.

Check out Robert Elsinga's website at http://www.elsinga.net/quest-first-aid.html - this man is a Quest guru. Not Worthy

Good luck!
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you are not in "battery saver "mode,turn off WAAS if you have it enabled and put it outside for 1/2 an hour..If this fails save your poi's etc then perform a master reset by pressing and holding OK + Page + On to turn the unit on and when asked if you want to erase all user data click OK ..again place outside with clear view of sky for 1/2 an hour.You will have to re enter your time zone, Map and routing preferences
Edit: sorry did not see the post above,my OH nabbed the pc so i was delayed pressing the submit button and did not check to see if it had been answered Embarassed
Dave
funnyfreddie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi oddsock and skippy.
thank you both for the help/advice. i will give this a go and let you know how it goes.

skippy, a special thank you to you for the pm reply.
all best to you both.
Andy
funnyfreddie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oddsock and skippy,
i thought i would wait awhile before giving you feedback. well, after reformatting it, changing the wass setting to normal etc, i can now say that after a weeks useage, the quest is back on board and working 100% again.
thank you both for the help and advice, I am grateful.

kindest regards
Andy aka funnyfreddie

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: