Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 930T Unboxing & Comparisons With 720T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 930T Unboxing & Comparisons With 720T
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky. Would you care to try a route please?

Prepare Route, from Swindon to Keynsham. Then see where it turns off the M4 - Junction 18, A46, or Junction 19, M32.

For me, App v7.221 on GO720 takes J18, A46, Duration 0:59 hrs, Distance 38.4M.

App 7.481 on GO920 takes J19, M32, Duration 1:02 hrs, Distance 43.9M.

Progress! Confused Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone help me please with a few questions, on vickys problems with the 930 and me getting mine tommorow, as we know there are no uk voices or tts ones either, vicky took hers from an old 920 and put them into her 930, is it diffrenent software on the 930 for the voice software.

If I put my 930 onto the home will it let me download the tts for the 930 or have tom tom not got around to doing this yet. and the 930 wont be seen on the home dock ??? If I could speak french and seeing as the 930 is out in france would tomtom home let me download the english voices on the french version of tomtom home.

Im also new to traffic as I have always had it via a mobile phone. So when I use the tmc am i correct in thinking that when there are delays ie how may mins delays are it shows up when using a mobile phone connected but not using tmc in tom tom on the main screen.

With it being rds it retunes to the classic fm freq all around the uk if im correct.

With tts on the 520 it always sounded not as clear as say tims voice (just turn left turn right) and sounded like 64k audio, did it sound like this on a 920 or did the tts sound a lot more clearer.

Thanx
Erintech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjdj1689 wrote:
After reading Vickys comments I am thinking of returning mine tomo the same day I get it (mines also from France) and wait for the uk version to come out, had I have known that the 930 did not have english voices I would not touch it.

Does anyone know when the english region version of the 930 is out I know its the end of April but that does not say much really.

I'm not surprised at these difficulties with Pixmania. In my experience they supply European spec not UK spec kit. Eg mains electrical equipment has a European two-pin plug (supplied with an adaptor. Not a great solution)

***BEWARE***

- Pixmania are also a "drop shipper" - ie they supply on behalf of other companies. So be careful - it is perfectly possible to place an order with a UK company and find that the delivery actually comes from Pixmania in France. This technique is often used by startup wannabe web traders. Nothing wrong with any of this of course - unless you want to be sure of genuine UK stock...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjdj1689 wrote:
Could someone help me please with a few questions, on vickys problems with the 930 and me getting mine tommorow

Quite frankly, if I were getting a new 930 in the post tomorrow, I'd do absolutely NOTHING with it, except take it out of the box and use it. The minute I found no voices or post codes, I'd send it straight back. NO WAY would I try to sort out that problem by copying from anywhere else!!

vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis

Sorry for the delay "overtime!"

On Weekday IQ

Routes Via 18

Screengrabs below

On Weekend IQ gets same route but time is 2 mins less

vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjdj1689 wrote:

If I put my 930 onto the home will it let me download the tts for the 930 or have tom tom not got around to doing this yet. and the 930 wont be seen on the home dock ??? If I could speak french and seeing as the 930 is out in france would tomtom home let me download the english voices on the french version of tomtom home.

Im also new to traffic as I have always had it via a mobile phone. So when I use the tmc am i correct in thinking that when there are delays ie how may mins delays are it shows up when using a mobile phone connected but not using tmc in tom tom on the main screen.

With it being rds it retunes to the classic fm freq all around the uk if im correct.

With tts on the 520 it always sounded not as clear as say tims voice (just turn left turn right) and sounded like 64k audio, did it sound like this on a 920 or did the tts sound a lot more clearer.

Thanx

The UK TTS Voices do not seem to be on home for the 930 yet I am still waiting for a response from support as to an "Official" fix for the problem, at the moment they agreed the copy from the 920 was the best fix, but that breaks the Voice Recognition,, so swings and roundabouts

The TMC traffic is very poor compared to GPRS if you have used GPRS and were happy with it you will not like TMC, as you do not get delay times or reroutes at the moment, my TMC is in the drawer and I am using GPRS on my 930

The TTS Voices always sound a little muffled on these units compared to the recorded voices. but the range of prompts makes up for it

I think the 930 is a real "Beta Toy" only in the UK at the moment, its lacking UK support and files, the TMC is still not worth paying for, so stuck with GPRS till HD comes out, If you have the cash to throw at it then fine, but I would not treat it as a worthy upgrade of spending needed cash on!. Mine is a plaything paid for with a days overtime so no gret loss. I would not recommend it unless you see it the same way

I am sure (Scrub that) I hope TT will get its act together and get TMC or HD running to a point that makes it a viable product, as at the moment there is almost zilch to promote it over the *20 range

EG last week I got a 920T pack from Staples for £250.50 after Pricematch the 930T package at Pixmania is £389 + Shipping - Quidco so about £375 at best

Is it worth £125 extra for NO - Get the 920 with 715 maps (not sure if they are more detailed than the 930 maps) but they are a lot larger maybe they just used better compression on the 930 I dont know.. but for the £125 saving I would recommend the 920T over the 930T any day

Last edited by vicky on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedbck guys i have saved up £ 380 pounds so what i will do is when i get the 930 today if it does not have uk maps as i know its not going to , Ill just send it back and get my money back and get the uk version.

Thing is do you think pixmania knew what they were selling in the first place to the uk , surely their buyer must have known this.

Wonder if they have sold many units, just think how many will be going back. Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Vicky. It looks like you've given a pretty definitive assessment. The IQ route from Swindon to Keynsham has made me a bit happier though (but it's no better than the "ordinary" routing from GO720 running app 7.221).

As a poor self-employed whitevanman, unfortunately I don't get overtime and as the just ended 2007/08 trading year has netted out rather poorly, I'm afraid a new 930 would run to over five weeks' profit! So even if you gave a resounding recommendation, I'd have to wait a month or two for one.

But I still want one. Laughing

I'm not sure how culpable I'd find Pixmania. Considering previous models (700, 910 and 920) were pan-European, you'd expect the 930 to be the same - I never had to download or copy voices or postcodes. And we can't blame them for the fact that TomTom has lost the plot in many respects since the 700. Sad

Incidentally, I find the TTS voices quite brilliant when put through the FM to my radio. I just don't bother, so that I can listen to the radio instead - that's where the RDS-TMC was supposed to fulfil my dreams!

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
But I still want one. Laughing

Just one Wink

The real cause of the delay in you making a purchase is that you have to wait for sufficient quantities to become available Laughing

Dennis, am I missing something?

If IQ routing is supposed to be so smart, how come it's your older 720 which is closer than your 920. It would have been a logical conclusion that the later and greater 920 ought to be closer than the 720 shouldn't it?
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjdj1689 wrote:
Thanks for the feedbck guys i have saved up £ 380 pounds so what i will do is when i get the 930 today if it does not have uk maps as i know its not going to , Ill just send it back and get my money back and get the uk version.

Thing is do you think pixmania knew what they were selling in the first place to the uk , surely their buyer must have known this.

Wonder if they have sold many units, just think how many will be going back. Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

As vicky has stated, it WILL have UK maps - it will have full Europe and USA maps too actually.

It is UK Voices for TTS that it does NOT have mate, amongst other things.
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got my unit and can confirm it does not have uk tts voices so will be sending my unit back, and even with an update the unit does seem slower between menus , and is longer at starting up.
I am not going around chasing and adding voices went on to the tomtom dock and it does say xl and I think thats why there are no uk tts voices.

And you have to pay for the postage yourself to send it back, it is not meant for this region and the tts voices are what Vicky said french etc.

You can download tim and jane but thats all.

So I will let you know how I get on talking to them later and sending this unit back.
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Official Response from TT Support on the Home and Voice Issues

Quote:
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

Sorry for the delay in response, I have been told that Home 2.2 will not yet support the computer voices download. Home 2.3 which is due for release very soon (no date available yet though) will support this feature and allow the download. Again I apologize for the situation.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

So No TTS Voices on imported units until some time who knows when!
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well rang them up and they had the cheek to say it does have uk tts ,and I just dont know how to use a tom tom. But after 10 mins to them on the phone they said send the unit back as mine must be just a one off as they put it.

Wont use this company again awful , got here quick but someone should check the product, rang tom tom even they said voices for the uk are not on that regions disk because of the size of the tts files.

They said they will be when the uk version comes out , but im just sending the uinit back , had a play with it and the screen does seem sticky to use , hard to say in words.

Again no case or pouch for the unit. plugged in the tmc , and it does not show the holds ups on the main screen , you have to go into traffic to see
the delays.

The info on the model reads as Devivice number AK........

APP.8002(9117/080328) OS.164445

64mb ram (free 26.7mb)

gps v1.21 boot 5.5010

map western and central europe v800.1766

sending unit in the post tomo so if anyone wants to know anything that Vicky has not already said please just ask.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quickie Vicky (oops, sorry)

Have they moved the speed display on the status bar?

And not to hijack this thread again, I have taken up with TT the traffic incident colours issue - see pages 3 and 4 here for further discussions.

stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjdj1689 wrote:

They said they will be when the uk version comes out , but im just sending the uinit back , had a play with it and the screen does seem sticky to use , hard to say in words.
sending unit in the post tomo so if anyone wants to know anything that Vicky has not already said please just ask.

I think you have answered just about everything mjdj1689. And as DennisN says, funds are short for us 'whitevanman' drivers. Driving . I will wait until the UK version is launched, probably after I return from my next 'Round-The-World-Cruise' in 2012.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: