Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman West European map activation problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman West European map activation problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoarerV8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Navman West European map activation problem Reply with quote

Unable to activate West European map with Navman S50 and Navdesk 2008 with SP1.
My Unlock Code was tested by Navman in Sydney and works fine for them.
Windows XP with SP2; Windows firewall off; anti-virus off; Internet access on; and I tried all this on two different computers with the same result.
On mouse-over in NavDesk My Maps, with West European map displayed, and S50 connected via USB, the screen message is "This map is available but must be activated ...."
Clicked on Activation and entered the unlock code.
Screen showed "Communicating with your Navman ... Searching for selected region ... Unable to find selected region on DVD, please insert correct DVD ...[region_error]."
Navman Sydney sent a replacement DVD but that gives the same result.
Please help.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Navman West European map activation problem Reply with quote

SoarerV8 wrote:
Unable to activate West European map with Navman S50 and Navdesk 2008 with SP1.
My Unlock Code was tested by Navman in Sydney and works fine for them.
Windows XP with SP2; Windows firewall off; anti-virus off; Internet access on; and I tried all this on two different computers with the same result.
On mouse-over in NavDesk My Maps, with West European map displayed, and S50 connected via USB, the screen message is "This map is available but must be activated ...."
Clicked on Activation and entered the unlock code.
Screen showed "Communicating with your Navman ... Searching for selected region ... Unable to find selected region on DVD, please insert correct DVD ...[region_error]."
Navman Sydney sent a replacement DVD but that gives the same result.
Please help.

How far are you from the Navman office. Could you take the S50 to them and ask them to activate the mapping? Idea
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoarerV8,

All sounds a little strange !! I have activated my Western European maps several times, on my original S90i and subsequent replacement S90i (camera was faulty on original), and had no problem at all.

The replacement disk that they sent you, hopefully was a copy of the original disk that came with original package and not the SP1 Update disk. If they sent you the SP1 update disk, then (from memory) no map data is included.

Also the original disk is a DVD disk and if your system(s) do not have a CD-DVD tray then this may be a cause for a problem.

Are you able to use Explorer and view the disk and "drill" down through different folder levels ? If you cannot view "folders", "files" etc. then you may have head mis-alignment on your disk drive compared to that "head" used to create the Navman disk. I have seen some past problems with head alignments, (in the past), that differing PC's have exhibited when trying to read disks. (This in not just a Navman issue, mis-alignment can occur between any systems that burn and other PC's attempt to read)

If all the above is correct, try an exercise of adding a US or UK voice to your unit. (You may have to delete some voices first, but leave the voice(s) you currently are using). If you are able to add extra languages then this shows your disk is being read reasonably well.

Best Regards,
Denis
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
SoarerV8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DGreen and Gee-Pee,

The DVD appears to read OK and I am able to view folders within Explorer and also install voices.

Unfortunately, I'm in Brisbane and Navman is in Sydney. However, I can see that they will ask for the S50 to be returned to them, for attention.

Cheers
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoarerV8,

With what you say, it does sound like your S50 may be on the blink.

Just be warned that Navman Support are offering 3 week return on repairs etc.. I was initially told ,when requesting a RMA number, about a week and a half. After 2 weeks on checking where unit was, I was told 3 weeks from receipt of unit, and finally received my S90 replacement in 6 weeks, plus over 6 hours on phone waiting on 5 phone calls. So I hope you are not in a hurry to head off to Europe.

Best Regards,
Denis
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
SoarerV8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: West European map activation problem solved Reply with quote

The map activation problem is solved. It turned out to be an incorrect activation code - one letter was incorrect. The tech support person I spoke to over the phone had "tested" the code by entering his own version and did not ask whether the version I had was the same as his - he assumed it was the same but it wasn't. He should have checked that we both had the same version. A simple case of making an incorrect assumption. How did I get the "wrong" code? It was emailed to me by another tech support person, who must have miskeyed one of the letters and did not check it before sending. Tech support should take nothing for granted, especially when it comes to activation codes.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great when the problem is solved, though. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: