Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Deal Of the Day - 240v & 12v USV Chargers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Deal Of the Day - 240v & 12v USV Chargers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Deal Of the Day - 240v & 12v USV Chargers Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comJust spotted this on Amazon UK. A 240v wall wart style charger with USB socket for an astonishing £0.01p!

As USB is becoming the defacto standard for charging many devices a few of these 240v chargers could come in very handy. Many devices don't come with mains chargers forcing you to charge your satnav in-car or by connecting direct to your PC's USB outputs.

A 240v USB charger and a USB-mini-USB lead would enable you to charge it (or indeed any device that can charge from USB) from any convenient mains power socket.

The same seller even has a cigarette lighter plug with USB socket for the same £0.0.1p so you could buy the pair for 2p! Postage and packaging is extra of course but it still makes for a very reasonable deal.

Click the link at the bottom of this post to access the offer.

Amazon 240v USB Charger Link
Amazon 12v USB Charger Link
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably best to add the advert states

Quote:
Product Description
Made for GIZMO-DEALS , 3 pin USB Power plug wall charger suitable for charging. Just plug in your USB cable into the input - then charge you MP3 player or other device. NOT compatible with SONY NWZA818, SONY NWZA818, Philips SA3124
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing with standards. There are always those who choose to ignore them!

The both NWZA818 (it's been repeated twice above for some reason?) and the Philips SA3124 are MP3 Walkman's btw. I have used a similar charger to charge all my recent TomTom's, a Navman, a PocketPC, a Sony PSP, an iPod, BlackBerry and a few more.

Probably worth adding that postage is £4.50 per item. Whilst £4.51 in total for the 240v charger is still very good value, I'm not sure it is such good value for the car adapter Confused
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Forgive me, but taken straight from where I posted this on a certain other website, be mindful all members, of the following points.

(But to be fair, a member on that forum DID order two of each, and strangely, it only cost him £4.23. That was not my later experience however). So to summarise the usual ramblings I posted though:

shadamehr elsewhere wrote:
Well not sure what's going on here mate, but if I order 3 of each item, the cost is £0.06, but the final bill with delivery at the checkout brings it to £27.06....!!!

So not sure where I went wrong...

EDIT:

Or £18.04 for two - so there's some rip off going on!

SECOND EDIT: Clocked it, not sure how it's working for you, but postage and packaging is a whopping £9.00 for one of each, or £18 for two of each, or £27 for three of each.

In other words, a coooooool £4.50 for each individual item shipped.

Now THAT'S how you make a rip-off profit - charge a single penny for the item, but then £4.50 P&P for every single item you order, with no limit on how many times this can be applied - PHEW *Laughing Out Loud*

Then:

shadamehr elsewhere wrote:
And reading Buyer reviews of the item, it seems there are a few on the Amazon site complaining about the "£6.00" delivery charge as extortionate.

So clearly it seems this guy chops and changes his delivery charge (i.e. profit) all the time.

Be careful - but that's not to say a bargain is not to be had - just be careful folks.

EDIT: Another problem... The seller lists it as being "Not Compatible" with certain devices. But the devices he lists, are those that disgruntled users have too late informed him, it doesn't work with, and he just goes back and alters the info each time, afterwards. So likely this will not work with a few other things too, and there are even reports of it overheating some devices.

WORSE THOUGH: if it does fail etc, he will refund the cost.

But let me be clear - that is the cost of the item (that is 1p) not the postage too, AND you need to pay postage to ship it back to him!

So it would cost you around a quid, to send it back to him, on top of the however much already paid to order it in itself, to get back how much - yes, just a single penny, is how other people read this..

Be careful folks.

Hope this is helpful. At the end of the day folks, it's just background info - you need to decide for yourself if this still suits you.
Bolin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha yeah good deal Confused

I was about to order 10 of each until i noticed the packing cost was £90....

Not such a good deal then Very Happy
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Amazon only charge the vendor a % of the Sale price and nothing on P&P then? This started in eBay not too long ago.
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travel a fair amount for business and it's true that I end up carrying a lot of fairly bulky and heavy (it adds up) wires and chargers in my suitcase. It really is time for the electronics industry to standardize on chargers and on power supplies for portable devices in general.

It's on the verge of becoming overly burdensome.[/b]
eTrex Legend (Original)
A Magellan that got wet and died on a canoe trip in 02
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the cost of postage etc, if you want both a mains AND 12v charger this charger set from Maplin may actually prove a better option:

It's sold as being suitable for iPods but the mains and 12v chargers should work fine with any standard USB lead.

It's only £9.99 for the set, click here.
algypan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just went ahead and ordered it and the total cost was £4.51. so I dont mind that at all
RedFive1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Darren mentioned the Maplin set looks to be similar value. I did find this similar item on Amazon for £3.75, and it appears postage is free !!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000LZBI82/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2J28U7WM23SAM
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedFive1 wrote:
As Darren mentioned the Maplin set looks to be similar value. I did find this similar item on Amazon for £3.75, and it appears postage is free !!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000LZBI82/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2J28U7WM23SAM

WARNING!

Sorry mate, but it SEEMS as if the one you refer to on Amazon is no good.

As it's actually an iPod Charger set.

Let me explain... You get both a wall plug, and a cigarette lighter car plug.

BUT, you then plug the USB shaped end of the cable into whichever one of those two you choose to use at the time, and the other end goes into your device.

The other end however, NOT being USB, but the proprietary iPod connector.

Unlike the branded and expensive "iSync" range that has MULTIPLE ends, and can be configured how you want it when you buy it, this seems to be only USB one end (the end for the charger plug) and iPod only the other end (device end).

I base this only on the image though, but even the description backs it up.

Hope this is useful, if not entirely definitive!

EDIT:

Darren the same could also apply to the Maplin one, BUT it does say "suitable for iPod AND mp3 players*" but I can find no relevance on their site as to what the asterisk means in terms of which mp3 players etc.

So not sure if the Maplin one has changeable heads AND comes with a USB head for the other end too.

If not, again it is no use then.

Last edited by shadamehr on Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Surely you can plug a different USB cable in to charge what you want, you're not limited to the one they supply!!

Or am I being daft?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeyMikey wrote:
Surely you can plug a different USB cable in to charge what you want, you're not limited to the one they supply!!

Or am I being daft?

You can, regardless of the iPod specific retractable cable, the chargers work fine with other USB devices.

I have received two wall warts and a 12v charger from the original amazon seller today and all work fine with all the devices I have tested so far.
RedFive1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:

WARNING!

Sorry mate, but it SEEMS as if the one you refer to on Amazon is no good.

As it's actually an iPod Charger set.

Let me explain... You get both a wall plug, and a cigarette lighter car plug.

BUT, you then plug the USB shaped end of the cable into whichever one of those two you choose to use at the time, and the other end goes into your device.

Unlike the branded and expensive "iSync" range that has MULTIPLE ends, and can be configured how you want it when you buy it, this seems to be only USB one end (the end for the charger plug) and iPod only the other end (device end).

I base this only on the image though, but even the description backs it up.

Hope this is useful, if not entirely definitive!

EDIT:

Darren the same could also apply to the Maplin one, BUT it does say "suitable for iPod AND mp3 players*" but I can find no relevance on their site as to what the asterisk means in terms of which mp3 players etc.

So not sure if the Maplin one has changeable heads AND comes with a USB head for the other end too.

If not, again it is no use then.

I see your point, but I'm assuming that you would already have the necessary USB leads for you devices and just plug those into the adaptor. Bearing in mind the initial post was about the adaptors only.
proddick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price for the charger is not 1p, as stated by another member the "price" is included in the postage. It is very light and unlikely to cost more than £1 for them to post.

For someone travelling I'd recommend this item from maplin which has mains plugs included for most countries. It is on special offer at £9.99 at present. There is no postage if you live near a store and Maplin have a good returns policy if it doesn't work with your device.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=49095&&source=14&doy=8m4

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: