Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Connect x20 to car using Bluetooth - IO Play
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Connect x20 to car using Bluetooth - IO Play

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erintech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Connect x20 to car using Bluetooth - IO Play Reply with quote

I've just bought the following

Freelander 2

TomTom 920T

I would like the TomTom to use the car stereo. I will be using the TomTom for mp3 and hands-free phone as well as for navigation.

I would like the sound to use the car speakers where possible, although at present the hands-free function can only use the TomTom speaker (odd. wonder why?)

One option is to use the audio out and plumb into the audio in (AUX) on the radio, but that really only works for the mp3. I suppose the question is whether the TomTom speaker is good enough for the navigation directions and the hands free phone.

Another option is the IO Play

http://www.my-io.com/Products/iOPLAY.aspx

This connects into the car speakers and uses the A2DP bluetooth output.

Has anyone any experience of this kit?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can route the navigation audio out through the line out socket as well as the music, it is only the phone calls that have to play via the TT speaker. I use a Bluetooth equipped stereo for music playback, and this is by far the best option in terms of audio quality.

When you set up to use a BT HiFi device if you route the nav voice to the TT inbuilt speaker and the music out via BTyou get an additional option not to mute the music when issuing spoken instructions, this avoids all the messing around with silent/ greyed out voices which we have all used in the past.

But please be aware just because a device claims A2DP profile support it doesn't necessarily mean the TomTom will see the device or even work with it. If you do go down the £199 iO unit route then I would make sure preferably via a demonstration in store that it does in fact work with the 720 prior to purchase - Mike
Erintech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've checked with IO Play and they say they are compatible.

So I have ordered the kit with installation from CarPhone Warehouse, to be installed on Monday. I'll let you known how I get on.

richard
Erintech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IO-Play report:

The first attempt to install the IO-Play was a complete failure due to inadequate fitting instructions for the speaker harness and a faulty unit. The second unit was "successfully" installed a few days later.

The unit successfully paired with the 920, but sound quality through the left speakers was awful; very crackly and presumably a bad connection. Not a good start. Ignoring this, the unit was able to play MP3's from the 920 as intended.

The IO-Play control is very basic, but has some MP3 control features, however it appears that these are incompatible with the 920 - certainly I couldn't get them to work.

Having had problems with the 920's hands free function, I tried that built into the IO-PLAY:

It has a serious limitation. If two phones are to be used with it, it has no capacity to activate the phone currently in use. So the most recently used phone connects OK, but if the "other" phone is used next, it has to be manually connected by delving into the phone menu.

In contrast for example, a Parrot hands free kit will intelligently
connect with whichever previously paired phone is used automatically.

Summary:

Installation problems possibly not the fault of the IO-Play

Can play MP3 over bluetooth, but control functions don't work

Handsfree car kit seriously flawed.

Overall: not hugely impressed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: