Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom launch 7.480 for GO x20 devices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom launch 7.480 for GO x20 devices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4VE wrote:
Now assuming this is the IQ funtionality kicking in, everybody who knows this area will realise how much faster this is at that time of day NOT Laughing Out Loud.

I was part of the IQ beta testing and I'm sure that IQ is built into the maps. Therefore a software update will not give you any IQ benefits. It must be a different reason.

IQ, when it comes, will be a good thing based on my experience of ot in Jan and Feb.

Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have asked Tomtom for an official response on 7.480 and will update the thread when I get an answer.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzr1200 wrote:
I was part of the IQ beta testing and I'm sure that IQ is built into the maps. Therefore a software update will not give you any IQ benefits. It must be a different reason.

IQ, when it comes, will be a good thing based on my experience of ot in Jan and Feb.

Very Happy

I ran the test on one 720 alongside another 720 and a 920T. The Beta IQ did no better than the others - that's not "how did it feel?", it's how they compared side by side before my very eyes. I'm still running it and the two others with 7.480 are now worse. The problem for me with the 7.480 routing is I KNOW it's worse for the last 15 miles of my journey home (actually 5 miles further and 5 minutes longer), but I don't know what it's doing with the last 15 miles of any other journey. Let's face it, any numpty can tell me the M4 is the best route from here to London, but not how to get around once you get past Helston services. Yesterday morning it took me 1 1/2 hours to cover the last 9.7 miles to Ladbroke Grove. Not being a London cabbie, I have no idea whether it took me the correct route to avoid one way streets and traffic blackspots, or just another example of poor routing like on my way home.

And does anybody pay any attention to the feature to tell you when to set off to get there at whatever time? Yesterday I had to deliver my package by 9:30am and when I set off at 5:45am all three TomToms gave an ETA of 8:05am. My delivery receipt is timed at 9:20am (and I carry spare undies to cover for the worry of London delivery deadlines!). I'm a simple lad - if the journey has a large proportion of motorway, work it out at average 50mph, for London add 1 1/2 hours, for cross country work it out at 40mph (and pray regularly).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet TT will have a fix by the launch of HDT! Why?

Because all x20's need 7.480 to use HDT! thats what is in the update, who's gonna buy and subscribe to this new service when they cant use it!

Plus if you read the announcement it clearly states x20 x30 on launch plus older models to follow!
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoned C/S to clarify above! was told that HDT works with 7.221 and 7.480 is just a software update! and has nothing to do with HDT!
jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have used the 720 long distance for the first time. Had a few problems, but don't know if they are 7.480 related.

My route was Stockport to to Purfleet, Essex. To start with the 720 consistently refused to find any route, coming up with 'no route found' this was to a choice of post codes, street addresses and to saved POI's, it wouldn't route to any of them. However my trusty Go 300 sat alongside found routes to all the destinations. 20 miles into the journey I stopped and tried the 720 again, it came to life so I had it routing the same journey as the Go.

However the 720 point blank refused to use the M6 toll regardless of how I set the preferences. But my good old Go300 working along side was quite happy to choose the M6 toll - Why?

The start up sequence on the 720 is inconsistent, sometimes I get the TomTom drums, soemtimes not, no logic to it.

Oh and battery life is rubbish, will only just make an hour on battery bbefore low battery warning, despite several 3+ hour charges.

All in all I'm very disapponited, can anyone give me a steer on whether these issues are 7.480 related, or do I have evne more problems to deal with.

Thanks
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you checked if your destination is on a private road? otherwise i have had one issue of not finding a route in london since update but that cleared itself! i'm sure if anyone else is having same issue they'll post up!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M6 Toll - check your Preferences ... Toll road preferences and select "Ask me" - I'd guess it has "Always avoid" selected? (Although you did say "regardless of how I set preferences", so maybe I'm just flopping around like a fish out of water. But I wondered if you'd meant navigating preferences, Fastest, Shortest, etc).

For navigating, I think the 720 is less forgiving (for which read "not as good as!!) than the 300 - must have a signal before it'll go for a route, maybe that was it? (If only TT had redesigned the case for the 300 and re-released it with more memory and a better chipset, but that's a whole new wishlist!)

The drumroll startup is usually first start after being connected to the PC, then subsequent starts are without drums, so it might appear to be inconsistent.

TomTom's battery life estimate is "optimistic"? I never have mine on battery, always connected to the ciggy lighter because I'm on distance all the time and even the claimed 5 hours wouldn't do. Strictly speaking, that's what the in-car charger is for - in fairness I don't think TomTom would claim for it to be used as a battery operated device (even if your 300 runs happily for three days on a 5 minute charge!! - that's progress).

Bobm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly all this talk of updating is academic for me as I cannot get Tom Tom Home to run. Despite emailing support and downloading various updates for Home - now on 2.2.2.83 - it keeps crashing with an error in xlrunner.exe.

In that the problem first arose with 2.1 you would have thought it might have been fixed by now...

so sadly for me no updates and no new speed cams....
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobm wrote:
so sadly for me no updates and no new speed cams....

There are some people who would envy you!!

Forget the speed cams and get the ones from here - annual membership fee £19 and all the cameras you'll ever want, whenever you want, customisable however you want.

As for HOME, you need to completely get rid of it and start all over again (they did fix the XULRunner problem somewhere) - I've never had to do it myself, but somewhere on here there are good instructions on how to do it (myself I'd do an uninstall via Control Panel, then search all over my PC to find every last vestige of Home and TomTom, deleting everything in sight, then I'd start to install it from scratch again).

Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just quickly in regard to battery life... If folks are using the x20's to play the voice through the radio then this is a real battery killer.

I get roughly 1hr on my TTG520 playing mp3's and instructions via FM Transmitter - Which is fair - and about 2 1/2 - 3hrs if i just use the internal speaker with no mp3 playback.

/OnTopic - I upgraded and quickly found some of the issues people are referring too. So I downgraded it just as quick.

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
M6 Toll - check your Preferences ... Toll road preferences and select "Ask me" - I'd guess it has "Always avoid" selected? (Although you did say "regardless of how I set preferences", so maybe I'm just flopping around like a fish out of water. But I wondered if you'd meant navigating preferences, Fastest, Shortest, etc).

For navigating, I think the 720 is less forgiving (for which read "not as good as!!) than the 300 - must have a signal before it'll go for a route, maybe that was it? (If only TT had redesigned the case for the 300 and re-released it with more memory and a better chipset, but that's a whole new wishlist!)

The drumroll startup is usually first start after being connected to the PC, then subsequent starts are without drums, so it might appear to be inconsistent.

TomTom's battery life estimate is "optimistic"? I never have mine on battery, always connected to the ciggy lighter because I'm on distance all the time and even the claimed 5 hours wouldn't do. Strictly speaking, that's what the in-car charger is for - in fairness I don't think TomTom would claim for it to be used as a battery operated device (even if your 300 runs happily for three days on a 5 minute charge!! - that's progress).

Thanks, I should have said that I'd tried the toll road preferences, I told it not to avoid toll roads - it still bloody would go there ......... other preference was set to fastest so should already have been looking for motorways.

The drums, nothing to do with connecting to my pc, have had several drums since last encounter with pc ....

Couldn't find route has happened on long and short routes, to pois ans post codes that have (and still do) work in the Go300 - its a mystery. Just means I'm habing to use both units at present - bit of a joke really.

Battery life - no toys switched on, no FM, no mp3 - brightness down - nowt and all it will do is about 60-70 minutes on its own - rubbish.

Wish I'd kept the money in my pocket, this is useless......
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeta1 wrote:

Thanks, I should have said that I'd tried the toll road preferences, I told it not to avoid toll roads - it still bloody would go there ......... other preference was set to fastest so should already have been looking for motorways.

You say NOT to avoid toll roads and then are upset when it routes you on them??

Do not avoid = choose toll roads!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He WANTED to go on the toll road (and made a spelling mistake, saying it would go there when he meant it wouldn't).

It sounds like a really dud machine! Is it new enough to take it back to the shop? I mean, one fault is possible, two is a poor show chaps, three is censored!!

Allen_EP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the upgrade I cold get about 2 - 2 1/2 hours battery life with BT, MP3 and FM on after the upgrade only about 1 houre. I have now gone back and get the old battery life time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 13 of 26

Jump to: