Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Question re bulk Custom POI file creation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Question re bulk Custom POI file creation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seanipops
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Question re bulk Custom POI file creation Reply with quote

Hi All

I've got TTN6 on an XDA and wondered if I can download information from my company database into some custom POI's

I have about 2000 customers in my area, they are categorised on my database as prospect, lapsed, existing, regular and key customers.

I am able to get a spreadsheet report in:

Name, address, town, city, post code, tel number, category format

and ideally I'd like to turn this information into custom poi files. I think I can so this if I supply the lat and long of each address but I don't really want to go this 2000 times.

Obviously there's plenty of space on my memory card for this but I would like to know: a. what's the best way to do it and b. is there a maximum number of pois one can have on TTN6

Thanks in anticipation
Sean
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Question re bulk Custom POI file creation Reply with quote

seanipops wrote:
I am able to get a spreadsheet report in:

Name, address, town, city, post code, tel number, category format

and ideally I'd like to turn this information into custom poi files. I think I can so this if I supply the lat and long of each address but I don't really want to go this 2000 times.
Unfortunately doing the POI list with bulk translation can, and does, lead to some glaring errors.

Take my word for it, to get an accurate POI list requires a one-at-a-time approach if it is to have any worth.

seanipops wrote:
Obviously there's plenty of space on my memory card for this but I would like to know: a. what's the best way to do it and b. is there a maximum number of pois one can have on TTN6
The number of locations that can be held is limited only by the Free Memory you have on your Device. The number of POI Categories, or Groups, is a more limiting factor.

My preferred way is to create a list on the PC. With as much information as I can find on the Web, I input the Data into AutoRoute, as an intermediary storage point, and when the file is finished the Saved Data can be converted with any of the Free Converters that are available.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi seanipops,

I’m sorry but I can’t remember the number of Custom POI categories that you can have in TomTom Navigator 6, it’s either 40 or 100. I’ve had a quick search of the forum but it’s difficult to find as there are so many versions of TomTom, not all of which are for the PDA.

You can have over 10,000 POIs in a single POI Category.

I don’t know if there are any resources about nowadays that allow you to input 2,000 Post Codes and get 2,000 longitude and latitude co-ordinates back. I know that there used to be some a few years ago but they contravened copyright so were shutdown.

You can use StreetMap to convert individual Post Codes to longitude and latitude co-ordinates, however that will take some time and you must be prepared for inaccuracies due to the nature of how Post codes work.

When I’m creating a list of addresses and longitude and latitude co-ordinates, I tend to use Microsoft Excel .xml file format and convert to TomTom OV2 files with POIedit.

For further information on creating a POI category, please see Guide to Creating a POI.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Custom POI Category limit is 39 for TTN5,x and 100 for 6,x - Mike
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Seanipops, i think you have got to insert the latitude and longitude to use as POIs. but an alternative is to use them as contacts which you can still categorise, i.e. navigate to contact, I use it this way on my PDA using Outlook Express and syncing via activsync, this way it doesnt affect your POI count, and can be updated via PC on activsync everytime you plug in, not sure how well this works on the XDA but works fine on a mio168.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: