Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 720 suction mount !!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

720 suction mount !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
austhorpe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: 720 suction mount !! Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

I’m on my second 720 and firmly grasping wood it work OK! Thing is its being let down by the bloody suction mount.

I am not joking it shove it on the windscreen when i set off and i bet during a 40min journey it can drop off 4 times. When someone in the car with you it’s pretty embarrassing!!

Not to mention it is bloody annoying! Tried looking for patterns, e.g. moisture on screen, screen cold but just seems to happen whenever.

Anyone else experience this????

More importantly anyone any idea how to stop this happening??????? Twisted Evil

Thanks guys
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been very few reports of units dropping off the screen when using the x20 mount, I have only experianced mine drop off a couple of times since I got it. I would contact TomTom Support and see if they will replace the mount for you as it could be faulty (0845 161 0009) - Mike
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough, just to indeed add to what Mike says, I kind of had this...

In that my FIRST TT720 gripped rock solid, AND the ball and socket type joint was quite stiff too (I took this as a bad thing at the time, but looking back now... oh well, you live and learn).

But my TT was replaced due to an issue.

And the new mount was much more loose in terms of it's ball and socket joint - not so much as to be bad, but I realised quickly that the original was much better.

In terms of it dropping off, I had this happen twice too on the new one, whereas the first one was a nightmare to even TRY and get off when you wanted to.

BUT...

I found that I had put it on the windscreen on a damp, wet day, and my windscreen had been a little steamed up/condensed.

When I cleaned the inside of the screen properly, and then pushed it on firmly, it has been on religiously ever since.

PIECE OF ADVICE TOO...

The key to the new style mount is the plastic petals...

That is, you need to push in on the black bit of the mount, in a manner that kind of causes the "petals" to push outwards as it were, against the suction cup rim.

If you do that, and they have pushed and thus stretched it right out, this makes a far more solid grip.

So dry and clean the screen, and give it another go the way I mention, and let us know?
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problems as you with the mount refusing to stay put on the windscreen !!!( perhaps it was just a faulty batch)

In the end I invested in a brodit mount which is the perfect solution !!
if I had not I would have had to find an alternative solution as it was a real pain !!

I was interested in a bean bag mount but they don't seem very easy to get without having one shipped from the USA
StanStill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe that this happens to just a few people, I have a 520 and it falls off the screen probably once a journey no matter what I do. It is no where near as good as the mount I had on my original "One" and the Classic before it.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never ever had one drop off. I had to remove all three last week for the new van and alas I had a devil of a job getting them off.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I've never ever had one drop off. I had to remove all three last week for the new van and alas I had a devil of a job getting them off.

Do you take the mount off each time you park ???
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take the mount off every time and the only times it has ever fallen off is if I've not put it on with a fair whack.

Presume it's a flat bit of screen you're using (and it's really clean)?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
DennisN wrote:

I never take the (three) mounts off (Do as I say, not as I do!!) Where the heck would I put them all? - it's difficult enough getting three GOs into my various pockets without complicating matters with mounts (and I felt they'd probably pick up all my pocket fluff and stop gunging to the windscreens AND I felt that the more often I removed them, the less windscreen gungy they'd become).

So, NO, I don't take them off.
YES I had the van broken into one night on my drive, but they only took my brass band CDs, not the mounts.
YES I was very annoyed at the broken glass inside the van.
YES it was a complete pain getting a new window (not to mention it cost real money too).

EVERYBODY - Do NOT leave your mounts on the windscreen and CLEAN off the little rings they leave when you take them off. If you don't, it'll serve you right when the crims bust your windows just to check whether you've got a lovely sat nav in the glove box.

john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
john877 wrote:
DennisN wrote:

I never take the (three) mounts off (Do as I say, not as I do!!) Where the heck would I put them all? - it's difficult enough getting three GOs into my various pockets without complicating matters with mounts (and I felt they'd probably pick up all my pocket fluff and stop gunging to the windscreens AND I felt that the more often I removed them, the less windscreen gungy they'd become).

So, NO, I don't take them off.
YES I had the van broken into one night on my drive, but they only took my brass band CDs, not the mounts.
YES I was very annoyed at the broken glass inside the van.
YES it was a complete pain getting a new window (not to mention it cost real money too).

EVERYBODY - Do NOT leave your mounts on the windscreen and CLEAN off the little rings they leave when you take them off. If you don't, it'll serve you right when the crims bust your windows just to check whether you've got a lovely sat nav in the glove box.

Very Happy
I think you may have been asked that question before !!

So the police are looking for a thief who likes Brass band music ( maybe a Yorkshire man as they are into brass bands )and who has a Garmin as he did not need your Tomtom mounts
gary10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to remove my 720 mount every day as i dont know which vehicle i will get on my next shift.
After getting really p****d with it constantly falling off i replaced the sucker with the one from my old navman 520 as the ball joint is the same size. since then ive had no problems.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
So the police are looking for a thief who likes Brass band music ( maybe a Yorkshire man as they are into brass bands )and who has a Garmin as he did not need your Tomtom mounts

NO!! We're satisfied one of the crims who lives opposite was in on it. He came across when the PC was here taking details, to tell me he'd seen them doing it, but hadn't come across because it was 1:30am and he didn't want to wake me up. The PC quietly advised me to pay no attention - not necessary as I'd already watched a different set of PCs take his girlfriend away in handcuffs earlier that day!! Anyway, I tend to the belief that he now tells the rest of them not to bother cos' I don't leave anything in the van except Black Dyke Mills band, Beethoven and Chopin CDs! Very Happy

Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you buy a Bean bag mount for the x20 series ?

I've used them with garmin Street pilot which I've rented with hire cars in the USA and I must say that they are much beetr idea than the suction mounts.

Only problem is they weigh a fair bit. Other than that, well worth a look.
Nodge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that quite a few people had reported problems with these mounts. Mine's fallen off quite a few times. I've just been doing a bit of experimenting with the suction mount on a bit of clear perspex - pushing it on and looking from the other side to see how well it's gripping. Even pushing very hard the actual contact area as seen from the other side looks very tenuous. It's only actually making full contact for a circular area only about 2mm wide and about 10mm in from the outside edge of the sucker, ie sucker is about 70mm dia contact ring is about 50mm dia and only about 2mm wide. So the outer area of the sucker isn't contributing to the grip at all. If you try it you'll find the contact area is pretty irregular and it's easy to see how there could be a break in the contact ring.

Never had any problems with my old Garmin which had a lever type suction mount.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: