Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin map update 2008
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin map update 2008
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fluffytails
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Garmin map update 2008 Reply with quote

I have recently registered my c510 with Garmin. It is a GB&I version. Garmin have just sent me a DVD map update 2008 Europe. I don't require European cover so is it worth downloading it onto my unit? Or does it also include UK updates as well? If my c510 had all the European maps on it would it slow it down?
Sorry about all the questions, I have loads more but I dare not ask for more!
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin map update 2008 Reply with quote

fluffytails wrote:
I have recently registered my c510 with Garmin. It is a GB&I version. Garmin have just sent me a DVD map update 2008 Europe. I don't require European cover so is it worth downloading it onto my unit? Or does it also include UK updates as well? If my c510 had all the European maps on it would it slow it down?
Sorry about all the questions, I have loads more but I dare not ask for more!

Your 510 will not take the whole of Europe. However, you can put Europe, excluding GB & I on an SD card. To get all of that on you would need a 2Gb card but 1Gb will give enough space for all that you are likely to need on a single trip. It will probably be worth updating the UK maps to 2008 and the update disk will do that automatically. If you are concerned about speed (and on my C510 I never noticed any difference) you can deselect the Europe maps in Map, Map Info. Another benefit of using an SD card is that it can hold your POI's - eg Speed cameras - better there than on the Garmin and certainly quicker to load using a card reader.
fluffytails
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that. In fact it seems that I have v9 already installed (GB&I) and I think that the update DVD is v9. I am not 100% sure and it does not state the version on the DVD cover.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am not 100% sure and it does not state the version on the DVD cover.

What does it say exactly?
fluffytails
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Map update 2008 City Navigator Europe NT.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Map update 2008 City Navigator Europe NT.

That's the newest (v10) maps.
fluffytails
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Paul. That is great news.
lancashirelad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: updates onto SD card Reply with quote

I am likely being very dense, but how do I get the new map info updates onto the sd card, rather than clog the 310's internal memory?
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: updates onto SD card Reply with quote

lancashirelad wrote:
I am likely being very dense, but how do I get the new map info updates onto the sd card, rather than clog the 310's internal memory?

Connect a card reader to your PC and plug in the SD card. Run MapSource or MapInstall and highlight the areas that you want on the SD card. When you have highlighted the required area (which can be done in bits - you will see them building up in the left margin) give the mapset a meaningful name and use the transfer facility. The program will then join together all th emap tiles that you have selected into an image file (which takes quite a long time) and then copy that file to your SD card. Insert the card in the Garmin and enable the map in "Main Menu - Map - Map info.

Hope that helps.
morgad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my update installed today

No DVD drive on the XP box, so had go via a Samba share from my Linux box.
I had to mount the /long/path/to/the/samba/share as a drive letter (z:/) to get the installer to work correctly

If I had know how out-of date the data was I probably would not have bothered to buy it Sad

Two major road projects near me that have be *open* for a year were not on the map
1) New main link road north from Ambassador Drive in Exeter to Pinhoe Rd Google Map
2) I could not find the new A30 dual-carridgeway section at Victoria either Google Map

but at least they fixed the road past A La Ronde (Summer Lane - it was Orange even thought it is only 6 ft wide)

Dave
[/url]
lancashirelad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Still being dense Reply with quote

Thanks for the info inspiredron, but, when I plug the sd card into the pc, it only shows the few music tracks that are on it, no maps, they are loaded onto the nuvi. Perhaps I should not bother with the update Cd and just leave it as it is.............
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Still being dense Reply with quote

lancashirelad wrote:
Thanks for the info inspiredron, but, when I plug the sd card into the pc, it only shows the few music tracks that are on it, no maps, they are loaded onto the nuvi. Perhaps I should not bother with the update Cd and just leave it as it is.............

Have you tried installing the other maps to the card while the card is in the Nuvi?

I have the Nuvi 750 North America version (North America maps installed on the Nuvi internal memory) but I have learned that I'll be making more business trips to Europe this year and next and so I purchased City Nav Europe. I was able to install it all onto the SD card while the SD card was in the Nuvi unit. It was easy as can be. Just be sure to select the correct drive to install to.
eTrex Legend (Original)
A Magellan that got wet and died on a canoe trip in 02
lancashirelad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: it didn't work Reply with quote

Having inserted the CD 2008 update, connected the nuvi, with the SD card in, it ran to the blue install screen, flashed up another,( so quick I was unable to read it ), then came up with the blue exit screen..........and that was it.........obviously the updates didn't install in .5 of a second......bizzare......still says city navigator europe nt v9 on the map info screen.
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: it didn't work Reply with quote

lancashirelad wrote:
Having inserted the CD 2008 update, connected the nuvi, with the SD card in, it ran to the blue install screen, flashed up another,( so quick I was unable to read it ), then came up with the blue exit screen..........and that was it.........obviously the updates didn't install in .5 of a second......bizzare......still says city navigator europe nt v9 on the map info screen.

Call or send an email to Garmin. Registering your product on the Garmin website helps. Garmin tech support people are actually very helpful. They usually take about a day to reply to emails. But they will continue to reply until the problem is solved. Or call them.

I have no doubt that they will fix your problem if you work with them.
eTrex Legend (Original)
A Magellan that got wet and died on a canoe trip in 02
lancashirelad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks crazyfingers, I have written to the bods at Garmin plus the unit was registered some months back. As you say, they are pretty good at getting back to questions in a short space of time. Will wait and see Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: