Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 350 - Loves the back roads!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 350 - Loves the back roads!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, not sure if this will just be a copy or a proper copy on a proper disc, also an unlock code?
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetroGuide does not require unlock codes.
I have it installed on units owned by family.
You only need to have it on the PC as you already have it on the unit!
lancashirelad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: I wandered lonely as a cloud.......... Reply with quote

Having just read through this post, we had thought that we were alone in being taken up hill, down dale, one track roads, hairpin bends, cobbled single track roads with a 30% incline, hairaising at times was the journey. It was only fairly local, but Madame Nuvi decided to take us on roads that we never knew existed, let alone would have taken through choice. The views were spectacular, but it was not the fastest route, not when driving with clenched fists and gritted teeth whilst looking nervously at civilisation and proper roads, way down in the valleys. The car was nearly in bits, along with its passengers. If we suspect the nuvi is erring towards a ralley route, we stick to the main road and wait for her to relent and recalculate a civilised journey, were two cars can pass without hanging over a sheer drop. Apart from that, we love it. Perhaps when the update disc arrives, things will be different.
NIKO-007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Tom Tom range suffer similar routing probs or any problems at all? i might have a look at them next purchase.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIKO-007 wrote:
Does the Tom Tom range suffer similar routing probs or any problems at all? i might have a look at them next purchase.

"Fastest route" on my TomTom GO720 uses main roads, whereas "fastest" on my old Garmin i3 was similar to "shortest" on the TT, and often used back roads and lanes.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom sometimes chooses very narrow roads, but nothing like as often as Garmin. My wife has an i3, and when staying in the Vale of Glamorgan recently, the i3 often chose very narrow roads with potholes and grass in the middle, whilst my TomTom stayed on main roads most of the time
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M8s

I've noticed that my Quest 2 has changed in that respect since updating to the CityNavigator Europe 2008 NT maps. Since that time, I get more sensible routes in terms of using more major roads than before.
And I did not change any of the settings used for route calculation.

This is reproducible on the MapSource installation on the PC as well. My prime example for this is the central parking in Bude to the village of Crackington Haven (both in Cornwall not very far apart).
(N50.82735 W4.54538 to N50.74152 W4.63288)
I've installed both V9 and 2008 CN Europe NT on my PC. Using the mapping data of the V9 version, the routing takes me along the costal road, which is very narrow at times with steep sections and sharp corners. According to V9, this takes around 11 minutes which is absolutely ridiculous, if you don't drive like crazy you'll have around 30 to 35 minutes.

On the other hand, switching to 2008 maps and recalculating the route, it takes me down the A39 with an expected time of 17 minutes, which is about right.

With this knowledge my conclusion is not primary the way of calculating the route the problem but the not so accurate mapping data up to V9 which came from Navtec. This has been improved with the 2008 release now.

BeatO
abenn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I'd read this post before I bought my Nuvi 200W Sad I've only done one long journey with it (Hertfordshire to Cornwall), but it certainly tried its damndest to send me on detours. When I followed my instinct and stayed on the M25/M4/M5 route, it eventually recalculated and gave me an earlier e.t.a.

So, I'm quite disappointed with my 200W -- it's 100% reliable in that it gets me to my destination, but I can't rely on it to plan the best route for me Mad
NIKO-007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i agree, the routes are a lot better with the 2008 maps & maybe they will be even better with the next maps, it would be nice if garmin would let us use more than 1 via point so that you can force re-routing as i sometimes do with the 1 via point.
gvkersen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,

this happened with me as well on my first trip.
But then I did a 'factory reset' and it started using highways.

Try it !
and do share wheter this works for you

regards, Gijs.
[/b]
NIKO-007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you loose anything when you do a factory reset? i could backup my favourites, its the "gpx" folder on the device for those that dont know..

How do u do a factory reset.. is it the button at the back, i heared something about holding your finger on the top right corner of the screen while powering up to.
abenn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIKO-007 wrote:
... How do u do a factory reset.. is it the button at the back, i heared something about holding your finger on the top right corner of the screen while powering up to.

Your question has prompted me to read my instructions: To Reset (it doesn't call it a "Factory Reset" it says disconnect from external power, then press the Reset button on the bottom of the Nuvi. Only problem is, there isn't a reset button Surprised But, going into the Settings menu you then find a Restore button at the bottom of the screen, which will "restore all settings to factory defaults".

There's also a "Clear user data" option, which is activated by holding your finger on the lower-right corner of the screen while turning on the Nuvi, and keeping it pressed until a pop-up window appears.
gabbyevs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get this aswell

going from my sisters in hailsham sussex to apub in mayfirld sussex it took me through all back roads instead on the main a road some were nearly undriveable and i had it on fastest route-changed it to shortest route and it stayed the same

the main route to mayfield was on a mainer road and alot quicker

could a reset stop this?

its happened other places too
NIKO-007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did any body find out if you can get comedy voice packs for the nuvi like on the tomtom? i mean the celeb voices and the white van man etc.

Been searching and found some here

http://www.nav-voices.co.uk

Anybody tried any of these?
gabbyevs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

link doesnt work niko

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: