Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Home "upgraded" to version 1.6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Home "upgraded" to version 1.6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fizz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: TomTom Home "upgraded" to version 1.6 Reply with quote

Here's something slightly odd (I think Confused )...

I've just connected my One XL to the PC for the first time in a couple of weeks. Replied "Start TomTom Home to the XP What do you want to do? dialog and got another (TomTom) dialog asking "Install TT Home?"

OK, no problem there. Bit odd to get the message before the program starts but I have 2.2 so answered Yes expecting to get version 2.3 (or 2.4 maybe). Completed the install, started Home, "oh, TT have gone back to the old interface. Hmm...". Until I checked Help. Version 1.6 Huh!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

So, I reinstall Home 2.2. Disconnect and reconnect the One XL and the whole process starts again "Install TT Home?" though this time I select No and Home fails to start (it will however start manually) Confused

So there you go, 1.6 is the upgrade from 2.2. Anyone else experienced this or have any idea how to stop this vicious circle?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing your problem is you don't have Home "running" in your system tray? Two red hands icon, bottom right of your screen?

If you change Home settings, it'll fire up without you saying YES to the XP autorun question box (you can simply hit the red cross to close that window).

In TT Home ...

Tools...
Home Preferences...
Start TT Home Automatically when my computer starts.

Some people will shudder at this - they know how to get away with not using Home. I don't

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
fizz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. It works if I leave Home running in the System Tray, but I don't want to.

XP should still find and run Home (I suspect the reason it doesn't is there's a registry setting pointing to the Home v1 directory and not the Home 2 directory). Also, why did it download 1.6 and not 2.2?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it getting 1.6 from the device? If I look at an original backup of one of my devices, there's a folder on it called TomTom HOME Install.app. So I don't think it "downloaded" anything, simply used that to install. I would imagine whatever is Autorunning points to the install program on the device, NOT a program on the PC.

fizz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, I hadn't thought of that. A bit of rooting around reveals a InstallTomTomHOME.exe in the XL's root directory. It's only 340Kb but if you open it in Notepad you can piece together the download link;

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/latest/winlatest.zip

Where as the download link on the TomTom website is;

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/home2latest/TomTomHOME2winlatest.exe

Downloading winlatest.zip reveals its actually an exe (have to rename it from .zip to .exe) which when run installs version 1.6.

Me thinks Tom Tom need to replace this zip file or update the install exe.

Mystery solved Very Happy

(though it doesn't explain why XP doesn't find the Home 2.2 install if it isn't already running - but lets not worry about that Wink ).
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run Home2 manually, does that work?

The Home1.6 install is included on the device so that you can install Home onto your PC. After doing this once, it is not expected that you would do it again. After it loads, it can check whether there is an update and download that direct from TomTom when available.

As you already have a version of Home loaded onto your PC, you do NOT need to install the original version again from scratch from the device (think of it as the install CD).
Brodit ProClip mount
fizz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.6 isn't on the device. What is, is a loader that grabs it from the link I mentioned. But why is it still downloading 1.6? TomTom should have updated either the file that is downloaded or InstallTomTomHOME.exe when version 2 came out. As it is - if you genuinely don't have Home installed - you have to do a second download and install.

I've just had a run through the registry. The autorun action when plugging in a TomTom is to run InstallTomTomHOME exe from the device. I understand why TomTom do this (to make sure its installed) but they should check whether it is installed, not whether it's running.

Mystery very much solved now Thumbs Up

I think I'll drop TomTom a note to enlighten them Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fizz wrote:
I think I'll drop TomTom a note to enlighten them Very Happy

Now there's what I'd call an optimist! Twisted Evil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: